Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Brains Here! - Stevia and Insulin page

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Ok, I'll never claim to be the smartest girl in the room, unless I'm in a phonebooth.

So I've been reading some websites about stevia and many of them talk about how stevia is good for diabetics and how it stimulates insulin production- as in makes it easier for the body to produce insulin, not causes the body to produce insulin from eating stevia. (At least that's how I understand it.)

Am I understanding this right? So if it basically helps "correct" the body's insulin production... is this good or bad for Primal folks trying to lose weight?

I've found myself using a lot of it lately. Will using it make me more likely to produce insulin from the slightest amount of carbs? Does it mean I will have to eat still fewer carbs to induce weight loss if I continue to use stevia. (Liquid form.)

Totally confused here. Somebody smart help me!

goodfriendsam Guest

No, that only applies to type 2 diabetics with burnt out pancreases and insufficient insulin production.

And it's a pretty dubious claim as well. It's irrelevant for type 1 diabetics. For type 2's, they're saying it can revive their tired pancreases. But there are no magic bullets that you can just eat and get more insulin production. That's BS. The positive results they got from the study must have been coincidental or tangential.

Tarlach is offline Member

If Stevia triggers an insulin response, then it is not good for weight loss.

It's probably better than carbs/sugar as you don't have the sugar available in the bloodstream, but it seems your body tries to do the same thing with it anyway.

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . . Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

billman89 is offline Member

Yeah I'm confused about this too.... I don't use a ton of stevia but I do use it a couple of times a week and I'd definitely cut back if it produces an insulin response.

Garden Diva Guest

From my understanding, anything that tastes sweet will trigger an insulin response by the body. The body doesn't know that the sweet taste has no calories attached to it. It thinks its sugar of some form and it gears up for it. That is part of the problem with consuming artificial sweeteners of ANY kind. And yes, especially if you are trying to loose weight, increase insulin sensitivity etc, that is a bad thing. We really need to break our habit of eating too much sweet stuff. Period. Just my personal opinion with which I struggle like everyone else.

Adam Steer Guest

During a seminar, I asked Chales Poliquin his opinion on Stevia. He said that the research he's looked at indicates that it does not provoke an insulin response. He also said it may even help promote better insulin sensitivity.

However, I did not get his original sources, so this is unsubstantiated...

Cheers,

Adam

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

That's what I was trying to say. A lot of the sites I found said that. Not an insulin response, but makes you better at responding, if that makes sense.

What I'm trying to figure out is, if stevia makes your body more efficient at insulin response, is it better or worse for weight loss?

ATZ Guest

Insulin isn't the ONLY factor in fat loss or storage. Have a read of my post in the "carbs plus fat" thread.

Adam Steer Guest

Well, assuming we accept that stevia does not cause an insulin response (or at least not a significant one), then I think it can play a role as a "sensible vice." Obviously Grok wouldn't have had access to refined stevia extract... But my personal opinion is that it makes for an acceptable addition to the diet in moderation. If it helps you adhere to the rest of your plan, then it works for me. A little added to your tea or used to sweeten up a recipe here and there makes sense.

Cheers,

Adam

goodfriendsam Guest

I thought I had answered this, but let me be clear.

I'm diabetic (type 1), I'm studying to get a masters in holistic nutrition, I eat stevia all the time, and I test my blood sugar 5 times or more every day.

Stevia does not provoke an insulin response.

The study was suggesting that it might stimulate the failing pancreases of type 2 diabetics to make enough insulin (type 2 diabetics often can't make enough insulin). I think that's a crock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast