Thread: Confused about macronutrients and ratios... help! page

ssheffie is offline Junior Member

Question Confused about macronutrients and ratios... help!

Shop Now
    Hi all -

A little about me... I'm 41 years old, 5'7" and 205 lbs (as of today).... the last 20 years of my life have been made up of the "yo-yo" cycle for me - I've lost and gained the same 30lbs at least half a dozen times on about as many different diets...

I ordered the primal books - blueprint and 21 day transformation and have read both. I started transitioning to primal at the beginning of November... eliminated sugar, soda, grains, and most dairy... except for a little cheese/sour cream here and there... I've tried not to obsess over every bite that goes into my mouth so that I could make it more of a lifestyle rather than calling it a diet. I didn't deprive myself of foods that I wanted over Thanksgiving because I really want this to be a lifestyle. I kept my portions small and I didn't stress over it, but I could definitely notice an increase in the cravings and volatility of my blood sugar levels. After the holiday, it was very easy to continue primal without missing a beat. I also started a boot camp exercise program right before thanksgiving, and I go for an hour 4-5 times a week. Overall, I have looked and felt a TON better without the carbs!

As of today, I've lost about 10lbs... YAY! Today, I entered most of my food for the day into Paleotrack so I could see if I'm on the right track and make some changes if necessary... Here's what I learned below...

Energy: 956 calories (PS, this does not include the homemade vegetable beef soup I had for dinner.)

Protein 25% 56g
    Fat 54% 54g
    Carbs 21% 47g

Ratios
    14.8:1 omega-6/3 ratio
    0.5:1 Potassium/Sodium ratio

Saturated 21.1 g
    Monounsaturated 24.7 g
    Polyunsaturated 9.2 g

I am very confused as to how to fix these ratios so that I am within the correct guidelines.... How does taking an omega 3 supplement affect the ratios?? How does the daily multivitamin I take affect potassium and sodium?? I'm no math whiz, so this makes my head spin. Am I not eating something that I should be eating?? or vice versa??

Today's food:
    4 oz Pork sausage, fresh, cooked
    1 large Egg, whole, cooked, hard-boiled
    4 oz Chicken breast tenders, cooked, microwaved

1 cup Broccoli, frozen, chopped, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
    1 cup (1" pieces) Cauliflower, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
    1 cup slices Carrots, frozen, cooked, boiled, drained, with salt
    (these 3 veggies were actually a frozen california medley, but had to list each veggie separately)

2 pat (1" sq, 1/3" high) Butter, salted

2 cups homemade vegetable beef soup, (tomato juice, shredded beef, green beans, corn, potatoes, carrots)

Am I stressing over nothing?? I don't want to stall my weight loss, as I have much more to lose... and I want to be sure I am getting the heart health benefits that comes with this lifestyle.

I would really appreciate any guidance anyone could give me...

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I mean looks like your doing great! I'd say stick with it and don't stress about the possibility of something occurring (a stall). Just cross that bridge if you come to it. Don't worry about your ratios either. Long as you vary your meats and get some seafood a couple times a week that'll even out. You may even try going comando (no counting) now that you've seen how it works. Just eat till satiated (not stuffed) and stop. Repeat 2-3 times a day. Keep up the great work!

Oh, just re-read and see that this was just one day of tracking. Well thats good. Thats how I did at first. Just threw one day into a program for fun to see where things fell. Like I said looks good.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-05-2012 at 06:32 PM.

ssheffie is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for your encouragement, and I really appreciate your response!!! Yes, I did the tracking for fun, then stressed myself out in the process... go figure!