Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 Weeks primal lacking energy during workouts, what's up? Help! page

14emom is offline Member

3 Weeks primal lacking energy during workouts, what's up? Help!

So I'm 3 weeks in primal, I would say I am 90/10 or even better. I've been noticing a lack of energy during my workouts, not everytime, but enough to be concerned. For some exercises I'm doing less reps or slightly lower weight. Will this pass? Can I do something to help my energy level? I am finishing up myt 3rd round of p90x and will be starting p90x2 in 2 weeks and I'm concerned that I won't be able to keep up. I know I should be able to because I've been reading about all the athletes on this forum. I'd love to hear feedback. Thanks!!!

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I wasn't doing anything as intense as p90x when I went low carb clean paleo for the first time (I vary between paleo/primal, lower/higher carbs depending on how I feel). Basically I was just doing normal heavy and quite dense/intense weightlifting. First 4-5 weeks were horrible - I had to reduce the weights, reps and was feeling totally demotivated. Afterwards, however, my strength/energy came back and it's been constantly quite good since - whether I eat low/higher carb or paleo/primal.
    Hope time will help you too. And may be a higher amount of "good carbs", if you can/want to include them.

PrimalGains is offline Junior Member
    Firstly make sure you are eating an adequate amount of calories every day (I need 1800 a day without activity for maintenance, more like 2500 with a good amount of weights/cardio etc), then look to include some starches to provide energy and help recover from your p90x workouts. I always refer to Mark's carb curve for daily carb intake, shooting for 100-150g a day.

14emom is offline Member
    After I posted, I went to MFP where I track everything I eat, and I realized that I have been on the low side of my carb intake, I averaged over a week around 75, but that was because of 1 high day, (over 100) most days were between 65-75. That's probably why I have been feeling so tired. I take this all as a learning experience, about myself, what my "sweet spot" is and I definitely think it needs to be higher to perform better while exercising. I eat around 1800 calories a day. Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate both of you taking the time to respond.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    1800 calories a day may not be enough for the energy expenditures that you are demanding.

also, fat gives you energy, not carbs. Try increasing your ratio of fat - good saturated fats, like grass-fed butter, pork, and beef fat... and fatty fish.

Starch/carbs are great for recovery, to restore glycemic levels after working out. Not for providing energy for workouts.

14emom is offline Member
    At the end of the day, I am still hungry. I wear a bodybugg, and sometimes I burn upwards of 2500 calories, but the past week I've been studying a lot for finals, which means 2100 calories. Bummer. I really want to eat at night bc I hate going to bed hungry, but I still want to get leaner. I know we need a calorie deficit, but does that work differently eating primal? I am definitely constantly upping my fats, I will continue to do that. Sometimes it just goes against the mentality that I've lived with my whole adult life (eating more fat=losing more fat?) but it DOES beat eating low fat!

HanKu is offline Junior Member
    Eat the bulk of your weekly carbs at night, pre work-out day. Aim to eat most of your carbs end of day anyway; ideally no carbs at breakfast or lunch. See if it helps. Considering you're only 3 weeks into primal you're body may still be adapting to the new macro nutrient profile you're eating.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Could also be a delayed carb flu. From what I've read here, sometimes carb flu kicks in right about three weeks.

If it IS carb flu, don't worry, it will be gone in two weeks and you'll have a LOT of energy for P90x2. Hang in there and DON'T increase the carbs yet. If you don't feel more energy in 10 days or so, then yes you probably need a few more carbs.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

14emom is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HanKu View Post
    Eat the bulk of your weekly carbs at night, pre work-out day. Aim to eat most of your carbs end of day anyway; ideally no carbs at breakfast or lunch. See if it helps. Considering you're only 3 weeks into primal you're body may still be adapting to the new macro nutrient profile you're eating.
    I will definitely try that. Thanks!

14emom is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Could also be a delayed carb flu. From what I've read here, sometimes carb flu kicks in right about three weeks.

If it IS carb flu, don't worry, it will be gone in two weeks and you'll have a LOT of energy for P90x2. Hang in there and DON'T increase the carbs yet. If you don't feel more energy in 10 days or so, then yes you probably need a few more carbs.
    Thanks for the encouragement, I am definitely going to hang in there, I hope it is delayed carb flu, and I am REALLY looking forward to having enough energy for X2!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast