Thread: What to do with a pheasant breast? page

Jesster is offline Member

What to do with a pheasant breast?

Primal Fuel
    I'm new to all of this primal malarkey, but when the neighbour came around with a brace of pheasant from the local shoot, who was I to turn him away?

I've cut the breast out, some bits have gone to the dog and I binned the rest. *flinches in anticipation of expected shouting* (Please don't tell me I could have made some moccasins out of it)

....so what's a good recipe for pheasant breast? (and does it involve bacon fat. This would be a good thing.)

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Put it in the slow cooker and then pull it apart and make some enchiladas. Fantastic. You'll have to find a good primal enchilada recipe, or anything that you could use pulled pork for.

Kaylee99 is offline Senior Member
    Wrap in bacon and slow roast. (I'm assuming it will be a very lean meat. Its been years since I've had pheasant.)
    See what I'm up to: The Primal Gardener

Scros10 is offline Junior Member
    I just seasoned it and grilled it in bacon fat. Simple and easy...

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I used to put it in the crockpot with some gravy. It's very dry meat, IMO.
    Pheasant is our state bird and even though I live in pheasant country, I can't seem to choke it down w/o it being soaked in some kind of sauce or gravy (made with red wine, of course).

Bacon wrapped sounds very succulent though....

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Hunter Angler Gardener Cook has a section on pheasant. google too. i pan roasted the last one with bacon, cream and mushroom sauce. left over bits can be anything? make stock with them and then make a reduction and make gravy with it or add it to the cream sauce.

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    We get quite a few a year, and most of them we roast and eat whole, but some I take the breasts off and give the rest to the dogs! When cooking just the breasts, I like to make bacon lardons, reserve, use the bacon fat and a bit of butter to cook the breasts in (just quickly brown on each side), then I put in some stock and some red wine, cover and steam through. To serve, I keep the pheasant warm whilst I reduce the sauce, then I pour the sauce over the pheasant, and sprinkle with the bacon lardons. Takes longer to type it out than it does to cook!

Jesster is offline Member
    Thanks, peeps! They all sound smashing....I think I will try some wrapped in bacon and then oliviascotland's recipe for the rest....to start with anyway. I'm sure there will be more pheasants arriving on my doorstep very soon. Much obliged.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    hubby made pheasant in a cream sauce when we dated in college (and he was poor and took to hunting for his meals!) It was superb but dont know what it involved!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    cut it up into inch or so cubes, slide it onto a skewer with mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, shrimp, peppers. Make some BBQ sauce and slather as required. repeat several times until supplies are exhausted. place on grill. enjoy.