Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A very primal hound page

Jesster is offline Member

A very primal hound

Since embarking on a primal lifestyle, I have noticed a crazy amount of fat dropping off my frame, some superhuman efforts of power while pushing laden barrows up hills while at work but most notably, my lurcher's coat is the sleekest, shiniest and smoothest I have ever known it! He's been eating all of my leftovers/gristle and been getting yoghurt and cream pots to lick clean. I even went to the mirror just now to check my own hair.

No such luck. All I saw was some hay and dried mud. *sigh*

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i have a red bird dog and he glows in the sun from the shine on his coat. he doesnt cheat or do 80% on off days and he has been on the prey diet for life. the other thing with my hair is mine is prob 8 - 10 yrs old at the ends so it has been around a very long time. his is short as. plus i wash mine. he doesnt unless he goes for a swim so his is full of natural oils. and being a boy still, he is naturally a bit greasier than a neutered dog. if i left mine to oil up naturally, it would just clump up with hay and dried mud lol as it is so long. i could prob acheive quite a good shine if i cut it as short as his tho.

What's a Red Bird Dog?

Woody caught a rabbit the other day, he presented it to me and I gave him a pat and told him well done.

In hindsight I should have skinned the bloody thing and put it in a pot. Not that primal just yet, then.....!

That's a good point about the hair. I suppose mine will take a while to thicken up. I wonder if this means I will be able to get it to grow past my chuffing shoulders??!!!

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Just to note - if you start getting a nice wet nose it's not a good sign
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Paleobird Guest
    The only thing my dog doesn't like about me going Primal is that I have discovered how yummy bone marrow is and slurp it out before giving him the bones to gnaw on. He was keeping that little secret from me and hoping I wouldn't find out.

What's a Red Bird Dog?
    a vizsla but google red bird dog and you will find an awesome blog about them.

PB me and the dog fight over the offal. i only let him have half my deer offal as a sign of my affection for him. none of my men would ever get that lol

another good thing with prey fed dogs is they dont stink like cookie fed ones do. they still smell like a dog but not in an unpleasant way.

skin the rabbit and then soak it in brine as it hasnt been bled out. they are very yummy.

I am very familiar with the Vizsla, fabulous dogs. Very 'boingy'!

I am in two minds about offal myself. Someone mentioned something somewhere about frying chicken hearts so they were crispy? I could do anything fried, I reckon....what other offal is good fried? Is black pudding primal? It's quite processed I suppose but I do like black pudding.....(fried, naturally)

I love the smell of Woody. To me he smells like vanilla essence. Not when he's wet though....

i've never had chicken hearts as i have only ever seen battery ones in the shops. i do eat deer and lamb's hearts which are very tasty. kinda like a good cut of steak but with different graining. i cut them across the grain with a sharp knife and pan fry them. but do it fast. then let them rest like a steak and i will sometimes cut the top chamber bits out for aesthetics. you can roast heart as well. stuff it and roast it. doesnt black pudding usually have flour in? liver is awesome and i like kidneys too. i fry them both. but it really does depend on your taste buds how well you like them at first. chicken liver pate is a good place to start.

my dog smells like a dog but without the nasty part of the usual dog aroma. he's almost 2 now so he is still very bouncy but has calmed down heaps overall.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    We fry everything in the south. Fried chicken livers and gizzards are big here. I don't usually fry chicken liver because it's so rich, and I've tasted gizzard - it's certainly (ahem) interesting.

A friend told me that pig's liver is one of the mildest he's tasted.

Bluefish is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My dogs went primal before me, as I bought into that crap about them having no need for carbs and being able to handle larger amounts of fat, while we humans need to eat all our whole grains and fat-free dressings, and aren't in the least bothered by eating only Food-Like Items, such as Pop Tarts, just so long as they're sugar-free.

Cleared up every health problem they had, most of which I had attributed to their getting older. (almost 10 years old; cocker spaniels). They've gotten in touch with their wolf side so they notice (and point) every bird, rat and cat for 100 yards on our walks now, and they intimidate every dog we see. All the other grained-up dogs give us a wide berth now, even though mine are actually very sweet and obedient and never attack other dogs or people. They're just giving off some kind of power scent now, I guess. It frustrates them, as they're always ready to make a new friend!

Here they are, looking particularly menacing: IMG_0912.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast