Thread: Started Primal: Looking for advice before I get ahead of myself

Threaded View

Started Primal: Looking for advice before I get ahead of myself

Hi all,

I am new to the site and to going Primal. I would like to get my feet underneath me as I begin this new lifestyle. I initially was going to go the Paleo route as of last week but shifted to Primal for a few different reasons. Generally speaking though, it makes more sense to me. As of last Wed (11/28) I've cut out grains and refinded sugar. I also stopped drinking diet soda. I was drinking 1-2 servings a day. I have been good about cutting those things out aside from two PBJ sandwiches (my all time favorite) on whole wheat over the weekend. I'm finishing up a recently purchased jar of all natural PB before moving to almond butter. Anyhoo, I digress...
    Although I understand that the premiss of the PB is not to be counting calories; I am tracking what I eat for a few weeks to see what my daily intake looks like (I'm a visual learner) and gauge where I need to adjust certain intakes. I am looking for any sort of advice/feedback to improve upon what I'm doing. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this. I really appreciate it!

About me:

5'11"
    188lbs (as of today)
    34yrs. old
    Body fat: About 18% My goal is to get to 10% or lower eventually but I would like to drop 3-5% in a month or so if that is realistic/healthy) I know it will come with time, effort and DIET.
    My Basal Metabolic Rate is about 1923.4
    Harris-Benedict Formula for my daily calorie burn: 3100

Former college athlete, relatively active person. (sports, gym, hiking, snowshoeing, XC skiing etc)

Lifting Weights 3 days a week (dead lifts, squats, pull ups, push ups, dips, plank, bench/shoulder press and mixing up between heavy, light and mid-weight days) *I do have experience with Ripptoe's Starting Strength.

One day of sprint intervals for 20min.

I play pick up basketball 1 night a week for an hour and pick up hockey for and hr 2 days a week on avg.

My calories eaten and rough estimate on calories burned over the past week using the Livestrong MyPlate are below. (I have been as accurate as possible)

I have ramped up my S & MS Fat intake and am keeping my carbs via veggies and some berries/OJ around 100grams a day. I'm keeping my protein around my weight although it's usually a tiny bit lower than 187g.

Thu
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Fri
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Sat
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Sun
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Mon
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Tue
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

My concern is that I'm not getting enough calories/food. I'm not trying to limit myself since I am lifting heavy and getting some decent cardio time in. I don't want to lose muscle AND body fat. I want to gain functional muscle/strength (not beef cake/meat head/beach body muscle) and lose body fat. I'm not concerned about lbs gained/loss if I'm healthier, stronger with decreased body fat. I am considering starting the PB Fitness Plan after my current weight training program ends on Jan. 2. If I'm where I should be then great! If not, I could really use some guidance. Thanks again for your time!

Cheers!

♣IrishSodaBread
    Last edited by IrishSodaBread; 12-06-2012 at 08:26 AM.