Thread: Started Primal: Looking for advice before I get ahead of myself page

IrishSodaBread is offline Junior Member

Started Primal: Looking for advice before I get ahead of myself

Shop Now
    Hi all,

I am new to the site and to going Primal. I would like to get my feet underneath me as I begin this new lifestyle. I initially was going to go the Paleo route as of last week but shifted to Primal for a few different reasons. Generally speaking though, it makes more sense to me. As of last Wed (11/28) I've cut out grains and refinded sugar. I also stopped drinking diet soda. I was drinking 1-2 servings a day. I have been good about cutting those things out aside from two PBJ sandwiches (my all time favorite) on whole wheat over the weekend. I'm finishing up a recently purchased jar of all natural PB before moving to almond butter. Anyhoo, I digress...
    Although I understand that the premiss of the PB is not to be counting calories; I am tracking what I eat for a few weeks to see what my daily intake looks like (I'm a visual learner) and gauge where I need to adjust certain intakes. I am looking for any sort of advice/feedback to improve upon what I'm doing. Thank you for taking the time to read all of this. I really appreciate it!

About me:

5'11"
    188lbs (as of today)
    34yrs. old
    Body fat: About 18% My goal is to get to 10% or lower eventually but I would like to drop 3-5% in a month or so if that is realistic/healthy) I know it will come with time, effort and DIET.
    My Basal Metabolic Rate is about 1923.4
    Harris-Benedict Formula for my daily calorie burn: 3100

Former college athlete, relatively active person. (sports, gym, hiking, snowshoeing, XC skiing etc)

Lifting Weights 3 days a week (dead lifts, squats, pull ups, push ups, dips, plank, bench/shoulder press and mixing up between heavy, light and mid-weight days) *I do have experience with Ripptoe's Starting Strength.

One day of sprint intervals for 20min.

I play pick up basketball 1 night a week for an hour and pick up hockey for and hr 2 days a week on avg.

My calories eaten and rough estimate on calories burned over the past week using the Livestrong MyPlate are below. (I have been as accurate as possible)

I have ramped up my S & MS Fat intake and am keeping my carbs via veggies and some berries/OJ around 100grams a day. I'm keeping my protein around my weight although it's usually a tiny bit lower than 187g.

Thu
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Fri
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Sat
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Sun
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Mon
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

Tue
    consumed:
    burned:
    ____
    net calories:

My concern is that I'm not getting enough calories/food. I'm not trying to limit myself since I am lifting heavy and getting some decent cardio time in. I don't want to lose muscle AND body fat. I want to gain functional muscle/strength (not beef cake/meat head/beach body muscle) and lose body fat. I'm not concerned about lbs gained/loss if I'm healthier, stronger with decreased body fat. I am considering starting the PB Fitness Plan after my current weight training program ends on Jan. 2. If I'm where I should be then great! If not, I could really use some guidance. Thanks again for your time!

Cheers!

♣IrishSodaBread
    Last edited by IrishSodaBread; 12-06-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Not really sure what you are wanting to hear.

Primal friendly carbs will help you get those calories up if you are not wanting to lose weight, or crap loads of heavy cream and butter and bacon with everything, having eggs - bacon goes with that, it's nice with butter, Steak - bacon goes with that, oh and add some butter , brocoli and cheese sauce, bacon goes with that, loads of cream in the cheese sauce, almound flour muffins - bacon goes with that, don't forget the butter on the muffins, you get the idea

Almound flour backing food also really packs in the calories, as do nuts.

If you don't want to lose muscle eat some carbs as you are very active and plenty of protien.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Just at a glance, seems like your calories are way too low. How are you feeling? Do you feel like you are still really hungry a lot of the time?

otzi Guest
    It will be hard for anyone to give you really good advice. You're not much overweight, you're lifting/sprinting/moving as you should. If you really want to get muscular, you will have to accept some fat gain in the process. If you are wanting to get lean, you will have to accept some muscle loss in the process. Otherwise, just eat good, healthy foods and keep on keepin' on until you are going in a direction you don't like.

Other thoughts, make sure you are sleeping well, not stressed out, and don't sweat the calorie counting. Calories (in and out) are very hard to accurately measure--calories out even more so.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Just at a glance, seems like your calories are way too low. How are you feeling? Do you feel like you are still really hungry a lot of the time?
    Thanks for the post. I thought they might be too low but I'm not feeling overly hungry throughout the day. Here and there, yes, but when I am, I eat some eggs or almonds. I guess I'll have to get some more fat, fruit, sweet potatoes in here and there to get more calories in. I wasn't sure if how I feel is because my body is transitioning away from grains, sugar and diet soda. I'm wondering what I should be aiming for "roughly" in terms of calories per day. Once I have a sense of how much I should be eating each day, I won't be counting any longer. Thanks again! I appreciate it!

Thanks for the feedback everyone...bacon...mmmmm! My parents just had a few of their pig butchered so that means some good, clean, bacon!!! I welcome all advice/suggestions. Keep em coming if there's more out there.

Cheers

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IrishSodaBread View Post
    Thanks for the post. I thought they might be too low but I'm not feeling overly hungry throughout the day. Here and there, yes, but when I am, I eat some eggs or almonds. I guess I'll have to get some more fat, fruit, sweet potatoes in here and there to get more calories in. I wasn't sure if how I feel is because my body is transitioning away from grains, sugar and diet soda. I'm wondering what I should be aiming for "roughly" in terms of calories per day. Once I have a sense of how much I should be eating each day, I won't be counting any longer. Thanks again! I appreciate it!
    Carb flu is different for everyone, but has the potential to make you feel pretty shitty. Carb flu was horrible for me, and lasted many weeks. From what I understand about wanting to lose weight, it's a good goal to find out your maintenence calories and then eat 15-20% under that number. For instance, my maintenence calories are probably around 2300/day, so that means I should be able to eat 1800-1900 cals/day to lose weight. That is what I'm aiming for right now, even though that seems a bit high to me (admittedly, I'm TRYING to eat a little lower than that, but not having a ton of success, lol). But I won't know for certain until I try it for a month or six weeks consistently. That's the really hard part, being patient enough to see if what you are doing is working or not.

So try to focus on the other aspects of health that you are gaining as well. I try to think less about the weight loss part, and more about how I'm feeling physically and mentally with the positive changes that I have made to my diet and lifestyle. That really helps to change perspective about what you are doing, and take the stress out of "trying" so hard to lose weight.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Eat more....I'm 5'9" 160lbs and the same age as you. I do about half the activity you do and still eat in the 2000-2500 range. I eat around 50-100g carbs, 120g protein, and the rest fat...say 100+g (just giving you a for instance). I think your too low calorie in general and should focus on getting some more healthy fats in there.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-05-2012 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks everyone! Neckhammer, your reply definitely put things in perspective. Thanks!

Cheers!