Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just starting to work out increasing endurance page

GuitarGrok is offline Senior Member

Just starting to work out increasing endurance

Primal Fuel
    I have been eating primal for a while now, and am starting to work out to get rid of the last of my beer belly, and to increase my endurance so I can enjoy playing hockey again. If you want to whole story check out my introduction post at http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1024488

I am a bit limited for time so what I am thinking about doing is once a week for a sprint work out doing 20 min from the P90X plyometrics routine (too much snow, and ice outside to do sprints). And a couple of times a week I am planning on doing one, or two rounds of one of the workouts at a fast pace, so about 20-25 movements, that is why I think once through should be enough. This will also help with boredom since I will be able to do different movements depending on how I feel that day. I also take the stairs a lot at work (about 20+ flights a day), and walk 10 min to and from where I park, so that is a lot of move slowly.

I tried P90X before I went primal, but I got burnt out pretty fast, and researching some of the problems I had with P90X lead me to the Primal Blueprint. I like some of the workouts, and I do like having some structure that is why I am thinking about modifying some of the routines, and doing them at my pace without the videos. I am hoping to get some advice on working out while primal since I did try plyo last night, but only made it about 7-8min in before having to call it quits. I am not sure if I should have warmed up more first (2-3 min of jumping jacks).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just an update. I have decided to go all out trying to get into shape. I haven't worked out much in the last bunch of years but I have decided to re-read primal fitness, and follow that for a while to see how I respond to the basic movements.

I am also trying a warrior diet meal program. I will be sticking to primal foods, but just a couple of small snacks through the day, and a feast at night. I play hockey from 10:15-11:30PM, or 9:15-10:30PM depending on the schedule. If I have my feast at around 6PM by 9PM I would be wanting to fall asleep. I am thinking about on hockey days splitting my big meal into two smaller meals, one around 4:30-5, and then after hockey I would eat until I am full, or just extend the fast those days, and eat after hockey. Does anyone have any experience with the warrior diet and late night sports?

I have to say I am very excited to have my weekly play, and it is really kicking my but into getting into good shape I just want to make sure that my efforts are going in the right direction, and are not going to be backfiring.

SeanC is offline Member
    If its to icy outside for sprints consider kettlebell snatches and swings. They will definitely increase your VO2Max.

Thanks for the recommendation I might give that a try. I do work out at home, so anything that needs something other than a chin-up bar, dumbbells, bench, BOSU ball, or yoga mats I will have to buy equipment for.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Even though the weather here doesn't get anywhere near as cold as Canada I am looking to exercise in the house or garage where I've got a pull up/chin up/dips/leg raise tower. So, I attempt the above after plank, pressups and squats. "Sprinting" will be burpees.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    If you're still doing P90X, I suggest you go at half-intensity the first week (or two). Most people I know that can't get through a workout or quit P90X early is because they pushed it too hard, too fast. I'm medically obese and have no problem doing Plyo, it's one of my favorite workouts. If you subscribe to Mark Sisson's ideas about P90X being too long of a workout then just cut it in half. Personally I don't find an hour of exercise to feel like too much for my body.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I posted this on my Success at 60 thread but I think it is appropriate here - The foundational part of your conditioning program should be strength training, once this is established it will enable you to do most any activity better. This is especially important as we age so I encourage all my 50+ Paleo friends, but really it is for everyone, to make sure you lift something heavy several times a week. I'd further suggest that you get in the gym and do some basic lifts, begin light, focus on good form, but progressively increase your strength ability. Men should shoot for being able to do a 1 rep maximum deadlift of 2X your weight, Squat 1.75 X your weight and Bench Press your Body weight. Women's goals should be about 50-75% of the 1RM listed for men. This will take time but is well worth the effort. Here is a great article, it's somewhat in your face as most T-Nation articles tend to be, but well worth the read. Even if you cannot reach the strength goals I listed you will greatly improve your foundational fitness by focusing on basic strength movements.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...ROw.facebook]T
    Last edited by canuck416; 12-12-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Thanks for the link to that article. That was a good read. I think I am on the right path for now. I am going for walks with my dog every night, and if I find some clear ground I might add in a few sprints, but other than that no dedicated cardio workouts. For the strength training I am using my select teck dumbells (2.5-52.5lbs) bench, and chinup bar to do strength training once a week. I am doing pushups with different grips, chinups, pullups, squats with weight sometimes one leg at a time, plank, bisept curls, bench press, shoulder press, and basically adding any other ones that I think of, or feel like doing. I have been just picking about 4-6 exercises, and going through them twice doing as many as I can each time.

I will be honest I have no desire to go the the gym. I did that back in college, and I much prefer to work out in my basement. I also read an interesting bit of advice in the book "the new evolution diet" that had a good suggestion as far as weights, and reps go. Start light for 15 reps, add weight do 8 more, add more weight do 4 reps, then on to the next exercise.

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGrok View Post
    Thanks for the link to that article. That was a good read. I think I am on the right path for now. I am going for walks with my dog every night, and if I find some clear ground I might add in a few sprints, but other than that no dedicated cardio workouts. For the strength training I am using my select teck dumbells (2.5-52.5lbs) bench, and chinup bar to do strength training once a week. I am doing pushups with different grips, chinups, pullups, squats with weight sometimes one leg at a time, plank, bisept curls, bench press, shoulder press, and basically adding any other ones that I think of, or feel like doing. I have been just picking about 4-6 exercises, and going through them twice doing as many as I can each time.

I will be honest I have no desire to go the the gym. I did that back in college, and I much prefer to work out in my basement. I also read an interesting bit of advice in the book "the new evolution diet" that had a good suggestion as far as weights, and reps go. Start light for 15 reps, add weight do 8 more, add more weight do 4 reps, then on to the next exercise.
    Sounds like you've got a good plan. Wishing you the best!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have spent a good deal more time looking for a more structured workout plan, and I have decided to follow "you are your own gym" by Mark Lauren. Just finished reading the book seems to make sense (except for some of the nutrition). I am going to start the beginner program next week. I can barely meet the requirements for the 1st class program, but I want to start slower and concentrate on proper form. I have an ongoing shoulder problem, and I want to be sure to take it slow so that I don't risk aggravating it. I will continue to follow my warrior diet eating, and do the exercises after work.

On a side note I have found the warrior diet eating plan easier to follow if I have just my butter loaded coffee in the morning instead of the suggested piece of fruit. The fruit makes me more hungry through the day. If I don't have it I usually don't feel like having anything until about 2:30-3:00, but if I have something I want food again at about noon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast