Thread: Primal in Calgary saying hi!! page

GuitarGrok is offline Senior Member

Primal in Calgary saying hi!!

I have been eating primal for about a year now, I have dropped about 15-20 lbs. I don't really weigh myself anymore because I am not too concerned about it. I have a bit of a gut left to work off, but at 5' 10" about 180lbs I am pretty happy. I am starting to pick up the pace with exercise since I just started playing hockey again last week, and that really helped me realize that I am quite out of shape. I am looking for some advice on building back my endurance.

Some background first. In College I was in very good shape 155lbs very low body fat worked out 3 times a week, played hockey at least twice, and was trying to add muscle but was eating very low fat. I could play 1-1.5 hour of hockey with very few spare players with no problems. After College I got a job doing field service work traveling all over western Canada, and to San Jose, and Baltimore for 2-4 weeks at a time for training. The nature of field service work on medical equipment is that you can not plan anything, you have to be ready to drop everything to fly anywhere within Canada. It is a high stress job with a very large meal allowance which started my weight gain since I couldn't plan time for hockey, I had so much for tools, and parts when I traveled that I had to put my clothes in my laptop case so no room for workout clothes, or shoes, and hotel gyms suck. Seven years of that and I was about 200lbs, and not feeling so great. I left field service for a regular 7:30-3:30 M-F job, and shortly after that found marksdailyapple.com started eating primal, and walking more, but haven't been working out yet. I should also mention that my commute to work is about an hour each way so by the time I get home, and have dinner, clean up etc I feel like relaxing for a while before heading to bed. I am working on fitting in some primal workouts, but I would like to get some recommendations on some good ways to increase my endurance so that I can keep up a little better at hockey, and I am hoping to get rid of the last bit of my beer belly.

I also want to share some interesting things I noticed since going primal. I just didn't want my first post to be a book.

I have felt like simplifying my life. My wife, and I have been going through our house, and getting rid of a lot of things that we don't have any real use for, and we are looking at moving, and all the houses we are looking at are a lot smaller, we seem to be drawn to smaller, and simpler. But we are also looking at an acreage so that we can grow most of our vegetables.

During the summer I felt like eating a lot of fresh vegetables, and some fruit, but since snow has started to fall I have been craving simpler foods like meat, and potatoes. I am wondering if this is a natural response to the season change since Grok wouldn't have had fresh vegetables when there is snow on the ground, but root vegetables, and meat would have been the staples so it kind of makes sense.

Anyone also notice seasonal eating habits, or the desire to simplify??

Sandamel is offline Member
    I hear you! I was just thinking today that it would be so nice to live out in the country (I'm in Winnipeg) so that I could have a large garden and some chickens. Maybe even have a booth at a farmers' market!

Then I realized that I'm a total city slicker and living out in the country might kill me.

My DH and I have also been trying to get rid of all the "extra" stuff around the house. Not a big, organized effort but rather over time doing mini-purges and trying not to buy more "stuff".

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I lived in Winterpeg for a year, then it was back to Alberta for me. I couldn't do Winnipeg winters...Maybe that winter was just a very bad one, but I still remember freezing lol.

It feels great to get rid of un needed stuff especially stuff like bread makers, toasters all that stuff that a primal person has no need for.