Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sucky Deadlift page 2

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I still think the squats are probably high.

Dynastinae is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    I still think the squats are probably high.
    What do you mean?

I mean I have doubts as to whether you're reaching the proper depth. You can handle more weight if you cut the range of motion short on the squat. I've seen lots of guys quarter squat 405 who can't get to parallel with 135.

I should have said "shallow" instead of "high." Sorry for any confusion. I think we should see a video of both in order to make more informed guesses. Like I said, it's a suspicion, not an accusation. I hope I'm wrong.

And if the grip is the limiting factor on the deadlift, you should sacrifice your thumbs and learn the hook grip. And never forget the old adage "chalk is cheap."

@RichMahogany Thanks. I appreciate the concern and I welcome any constructive criticism. However, Squatting is just a strength of mine (probably the only when it comes to heavy-lifting). I've been doing it for about 10 years while being professionally coached, unfortunately all the while neglecting deadlifts and rows. I'll try to get a video of that as well to impress you

What I'm starting to gather is that I just need to work on my back strength. I used to do do well with pull-ups but now thats gone to hell as well. I'll get my trainer to help with my deads and just start to focus a bit more on strengthening my back.

Looking forward to seeing the videos.

In the meantime, are you squatting high-bar or low-bar? In other words, is the bar resting on your traps (high-bar), or across the rear delts/resting on the spines of your scapulae(low-bar)?

If it's truly a strength deficit (coupled with your anthropometry) that's stopping you from deadlifting more, you can always experiment with heavy partials (e.g. rack pulls & RDL's) as well as trying to add some work over an increased ROM (e.g. Deficit deadlifts). I wonder what Mr. Palfrey would say about either of those ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the videos.

In the meantime, are you squatting high-bar or low-bar? In other words, is the bar resting on your traps (high-bar), or across the rear delts/resting on the spines of your scapulae(low-bar)?

If it's truly a strength deficit (coupled with your anthropometry) that's stopping you from deadlifting more, you can always experiment with heavy partials (e.g. rack pulls & RDL's) as well as trying to add some work over an increased ROM (e.g. Deficit deadlifts). I wonder what Mr. Palfrey would say about either of those ideas.
    I usually have it resting closer to delts than traps. How do you think "good mornings" would fare in terms of strengthening my back? Other alternatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    I usually have it resting closer to delts than traps. How do you think "good mornings" would fare in terms of strengthening my back? Other alternatives?
    I tend to think the RDL and/or SLDL would do more to build strength than the good mornings, due to the fact that you can handle heavier loads, but now I'm treading dangerously close to the border of making suggestions that are probably better left to the real experts rather than a dilletante such as myself. And it's all speculation anyway until we see the videos. Text is a poor diagnostic tool when it comes to the iron.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    What I'm starting to gather is that I just need to work on my back strength.
    I think that may be it. Tell ya, I hadn't done dead lifts in years until starting some this week and my lats, traps, and most extensors have some serious DOMS today. You really don't use much any of these in the squat.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I think that may be it. Tell ya, I hadn't done dead lifts in years until starting some this week and my lats, traps, and most extensors have some serious DOMS today. You really don't use much any of these in the squat.
    Try finishing up with some kettlebell swings. Your entire posterier chain will be lit up like a Christmas tree. Good times
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

A couple things that I noticed immediately: 1) I need a tan (I live in Florida for the love) 2) I carry most of my excess fat in my midsection (even lower back) 3) My back does feel weak

You know that poem by W.B. Yeates that ends with "I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams." Yeahhh, this isn't my dream so be brutally honest.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast