Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yoga: A Man's Game? page

Dynastinae is offline Member

Yoga: A Man's Game?

Primal Fuel
    So, here's the skinny. I'm a somewhat big guy 6'2, 210 lbs. I lift and sprint and all the fun stuff but my flexibility is HORRID. I'd like to loosen up a bit and I think yoga would be a good exercise. My question: is it worth the agony or will I get just get pissed off?

Feel free to toss out some alternative solutions.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    why not give it a try? i'm planning on using yoga to increase my mobility; there are all kinds of different things you can do, moves, speeds, flexibility routines, strength routines, etc. chances are you can find something that works for you.

I think I will! Have you tried other things that has helped?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Different yoga studios are going to have different cultures and styles, so if you're concerned about being annoyed by the way classes are run or structured, you can always do some research and try out some drop-in classes to see if you like a given place.

I see a lot of men doing yoga at the city-run sports centre where I work out. The classes are included as a drop-in with the fitness pass, so I think some of the guys who work out there feel more comfortable doing those classes than they might be with going to a fancy studio, and they offer good beginner level classes. The teachers they have seem well qualified, and it's an environment where some of those guys just feel more comfy. There's a man who teaches who looks nothing like what people might envision as a yoga dude. If you saw him in the grocery store, you'd maybe think he was a mechanic. You see big weightlifter types, lean marathoners, and just average guys.

Also, it shouldn't be agony. A good teacher should be helping you push yourself without causing you massive pain. You might feel some discomfort with stretching, but agony? Not good.

Anyhow, hopefully zoebird will come by and give you her opinion--she's a yoga instructor and is super helpful.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    unfortunately, mobility/flexibility is something i have really let lapse, so i'm trying to work it back into my lifestyle. mark has a few posts on mobility, and the mobilityWOD website is full of information; those will be regular resources for me. i expect that yoga and moving slowly will keep me as stretchy as i should be.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Oh man, yoga is a big no-no. Imagine what would happen if you got sexually aroused during a yoga session? It's not like you can hide an erection while doing an "upward bow" yoga pose

Gymnastics is probably a better option for us guys.

Ha! @Kharnath Chicks doing gymnastics would probably do it more for me, frankly.

@Primalrob that's good advice. I'll check out some of the stuff Mark was saying. It'd be nice to stay ahead of the curve in terms of mobility

@Owly Thanks. The one yoga class I did try was all girls and I felt like a dweeb. Was sweating like a fool and even though it was a beginners class and I'm in decent shape...let's just say I wasn't impressing anyone.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Heh, yeah, that's kind of how my partner felt in his first yoga class too. He's been active and fit his entire life, but it was really hard for him to do some of the movements. Fortunately he wasn't the only beginner (male or female) struggling in the class so he didn't feel too awkward. But honestly, most people are too busy paying attention to what they're doing to notice what you're doing.

Remember that you're learning a skill and trying a new activity, and like any new athletic pursuit or sport, you're likely not going to be great at it immediately. Imagine what those girls might be like walking into the weight room and trying to bench press for the first time. They're probably going to look red and sweaty and clumsy too.

Also, don't know if you're a single guy, but there are a lot of young women in yoga classes who think that any dude who tries out yoga is pretty awesome whatever his skill level. Just a thought.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

I took one yoga class and enjoyed it a lot, and still utilize some of the breathing techniques. It was Kundalini yoga, and the teacher really emphasized the basics: the spiritual aspect, breathing techniques, and the asanas weren't "yogaerobics," everything was all done with emphasis on tradition. I don't think I'd like a lot of yoga classes offered by fitness centers, e.g.

Can't remember how many guys were there, definitely the minority, but it didn't bother me. I would do it again.
    Last edited by Finnegans Wake; 12-05-2012 at 08:19 AM.

WarlordBlade is offline Senior Member
    I've always been fairly flexible - but after a few years of yoga I'm SO much more flexible. Yoga will get you there but it probably won't (and shouldn't) be a super fast change. It might though - a lot of flexibility is body mechanics and your understanding of your personal mechanics, if that makes sense. I think that awareness is one of the greatest benefits I've had from yoga. Also if I am fairly regular in my yoga practice it basically negates some lingering injuries - they just don't hurt.

Agony - like mentioned before - should not enter into yoga! However - you could get pissed off just because of the way the classes are or whatever, it's kind of weird. I love yoga, but certain poses or ways of stringing poses together can cause actual anger to flare up. Most yoga is fairly balancing - but anytime I did the P90X yoga DVD, I'd get pissed off, and I couldn't explain why. Something in the way it flows literally causes my brain to get angry. So even though it's a fairly hard 1.5 hour yoga dvd - I don't do it because I don't like getting angry like that

Good luck!
    ~It's All Relative!~
    34 - 5'11" CW - 159 GW - 175 10% BF or less!

Primal Journal
    Fitness Blog - Instagram
    Join me on Fitocracy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast