Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Yoga: A Man's Game? page 4

blissfull is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I like yoga, it is great for flexibility. But what I like more is Qigong. Practicing Qigong has led to flexibility I never
    experienced with yoga.
    My lower back has opened up (I didn't even know I was stiff there). My shoulders have opened up and are more inline where they should be. My hamstrings are not as tight. I don't hold tension in my neck anymore,etc.
    Now I am not a guy so I am not sure how the whole Qigong for men thing would be. However my sifu (teacher) is a guy with fantastic flexibility and is incredible to watch practice both Qigong and Kung Fu. You may want to check it out.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    The benefit of having a good teacher for yoga is that you learn proper alignment, which is how you get the benefits of practice. Without that, you're just setting up for injury.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    @zoebird (cool name, by the way) That's really helpful. I'm looking at a couple of different options here and maybe you guys could be of more insight. Right now I do heavy lifting 3x per week but I'm wondering if I should scale that back a tad and focus on rock-climbing (there's a cool rock-climbing gym nearby) and integrate some yoga. However, I constantly hear of people losing percentages of lean body mass as the years go by so there's a fear in the back of my mind that I'll hit 40 and turn into one big flab (irrational, I know). The other option is to stay the course with continuing to lift heavy and add mass but integrate yoga. Anyone ever wrestle with this?
    My husband turned 40 this year. He's lean and muscular -- 8% body fat.

He works out in the gym (heavy lifting) once per week plus one body weight routine once a week. He does mobility work and/or yoga 4-5 days a week, and he runs (sprints and does a long-slow) once per week (usually does a milage run and finishes with sprints).

He's also primal and does an IF protocol (16/8) with some workouts fasted (some yoga, running, and body weight workout), and others with food in him (lifting heavy things, yoga/mobility).

It's really up to you how you want to design things. I'm looking into adding some form of weight training beyond my yoga practice with MovNat and parkour. And, some play/"sprints" with roller derby (finally! a rec league!). I think going to the gym to lift would be awesome, but we just can't squeeze it into the schedule (running business, kiddo, sex life, etc).

I mean, with him all 8% and me all 18%, that last bit is gonna happen. Takes up a lot of time.

I don't mind.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Definitely go to classes until you know what you're doing. Then you can practice from home.

I mostly do home practice these days - I use streamed videos from a Canadian website called myyogaonline....excellent teaching, loads of variety and very reasonably priced.

SeanC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    so, i've been battling lately with trying to choose between paying for yoga classes at a studio or gym, or working from videos at home. can anyone throw me a few of the big pros/cons of the two? or, would a series of classes get me to the point where i can just keep going with videos?

i like the idea of yoga classes, but not the cost, or the fact that they are scheduled. but, i don't want to learn incorrect form by trying to copy rodney yee in my living room.
    Rob,

My suggestion would be to watch some videos until you think you are doing it right THEN go to some classes. This allows you to go to class and not feel totally self-conscious . It also allows for the teacher to show you what you are doing wrong and believe me there will be something. When the teacher adjusts you you will be able to FEEL the correct way. After a month or 2 of classes you should be able to comfortably do home practical and feel good in the knowledge they you are oing it correctly. That's the route I took. I still go to a drop in class every once in awhile. The teacher insight is invaluable. One last thing. Sometimes you will go to a bad teacher. If that is the case , move on til you find a good one.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I think trying a video or two is a good idea just to learn the names of the moves and what to expect. Then i highly recommend classes...

For me, I train harder at a gym, in a yoga class, sprinting with a group at a track, etc... than solo at home or sprinting by my self.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I have done Moksha hot yoga here and it is great, getting some of the moves is a struggle but I find it is a good workout and good for flexibility.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

biorbyt is offline Junior Member
    Yoga is a science that has been practiced for thousands of years. Yoga has positions that act upon the various joints of the body including those joints that are never really on the ‘radar screen’ let alone exercised. It also improved posture and spinal health.

jackwember is offline Junior Member
    Yoga are so good for the health there are so many benefits of yoga like it reduce the weight, it is good for the remove the back pain.yoga are the best to prevent the cancer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234