Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yoga: A Man's Game? page 3

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Have you checked into MobilityWOD? You might it helpful for some specific issues you want to address.

Dynastinae is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    We've been doing DDP Yoga almost 2 months and love it. It started out as "Yoga for Regular Guys" if you've heard of that. It's done on videos, so you can do it from home. My shoulders are much loose than they've ever been, and my hubby's back is hurting much less. Plus he's down a few pounds.

DDPYOGA - The Most Complete Fitness System on the Planet!
    Yeah I saw a crazy video with a guy who was wheel chair bound and turned it all around with this. I'll have to check that out.

Dynastinae is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bostonwolf View Post
    Who cares, man? You are the only guy in a class full of women and are complaining about it.

Put yourselves in their hands. They know more about it than you and can show you the right way. You might even land a date or two out of it.

And personally, I don't go to the gym to impress anyone. I go to get a workout.
    That was really a point of reference to try and explain my skill level. I don't impress anyone while lifting either. Thanks for the encouragement!

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynastinae View Post
    Yeah I saw a crazy video with a guy who was wheel chair bound and turned it all around with this. I'll have to check that out.
    Arthur. He's the main video on that web page, actually.

There's some people in there who have done crazy stuff, like lost half their body weight (that guy started out at over 400 pounds). Slim's gone from 601 to 455-ish in 6 months. Me, I'm just in it so my shoulders stop hurting and I gain some muscle.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i have learned to really like yoga over the past few months. I'm doing hot or flow/vinyasa, depending on what i feel like. I usually only go once per week bc as some posters have already noted - it's harder than it looks. I cycle or jog on other days and I usually can't believe how sore I am after yoga. Like Tuesday's class, the lady really worked our hamstrings and dang my legs are still hurty, tho yesterday's spin on the bike sort of helped.

anyway - as Zoe said, somehow it does make you overall fit even thought it doesn't seem like you're doing a lot. She's an expert at explaining, i can only tell you that it works and I don't really understand how but i like it!

All the studios are different. All the teachers are different. You kinda have to shop around to find what fits you.

here in houston, i've been able to test a couple of studios really cheaply with groupons. With them i didn't spend a lot of money and i found some teachers i really like.

there are always guys in my classes. Always more ladies than men but there are always men. I've tried to get my very inflexible husband to come to a beginners class with me but he absolutely won't do it. I'm still working on him....

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Yoga is awesome. I normally do ashtanga which is more vigorous than some styles and so tends to attract a lot more men.

As has been said before, it shouldn't be agony. Any yoga teacher worth their salt will tell you that it is *your* practice, to leave your ego at the door and pay no attention to what anyone else is doing.

Stick with it, and the benefits are way more than just improved flexibility.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    so, i've been battling lately with trying to choose between paying for yoga classes at a studio or gym, or working from videos at home. can anyone throw me a few of the big pros/cons of the two? or, would a series of classes get me to the point where i can just keep going with videos?

i like the idea of yoga classes, but not the cost, or the fact that they are scheduled. but, i don't want to learn incorrect form by trying to copy rodney yee in my living room.

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i have a CD called "Yoga for Athletes" which was my real introduction to yoga. I liked it but i was pretty sure i wasn't doing the postures right.

i think i get more out of the classes b/c the instructors can correct you if you are doing something incorrectly and honestly, i just like the classes more b/c there are no distractions and i do more than if i were just at home (ex most of the stuff on the CD was like 1/2 hour, but classes are twice that, at least).

plus, the flow classes that i go to are always a surprise - you never know what exactly the instructor has picked re music or flow but the cd's are always the same. Actually so is the hot sequence but you can't do hot at home unless your house is a sauna.

are groupons/live social only in houston? Several local yoga studios are offering fantastic deals that are really cheap intros. Admittedly once those deals expire, it is kinda pricey but i think worth it.

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    I did it a few years ago and I enjoyed it. Helped with flexibility and was very calming and soothing in an otherwise balls-to-the-wall life. I was the only dude in the class, but the instructor and a couple students knew me, so that was a decent introductory period. Still, I got the feeling there was a certain "Is this guy creepy?" timespan for the women to deal with, but after that it was just enjoyable.

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    Yoga is great not just for flexibility, but mobility as well. As you age, your body will thank you.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast