Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 42 - The Answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

42 - The Answer to Life, The Universe, and Everything

Shop Now
    I'm turning 42 on Saturday. And after months (!!!) of screwing around and not being primal, I've decided I'm officially DONE with being bad to myself. I've been eating lots of rice, and wow - I'm bloated and have put back so many inches that I need a math refresher. (Okay, it's not that bad. But still: more inches.) I feel slow and sluggish. And I've been terrible about eating sugary foods. I do taekwondo (I'm a red belt, training for my black belt), and on Saturday, I hurt my knee - bad enough that I'm seeing a sports injury doc tomorrow. While I can't blame my poor nutrition for my injury, I'm positive it didn't help. So like I said, I'm DONE. I want 42 to be the best year ever -- the answer, as it were, to life, the universe, and everything.

And so, I'm back to primal. **waves** I'm going to try walking later, but my knee is pretty lousy. I'll put on my brace and see how it goes. Meanwhile, I'm going to start my food/exercise journal (again, but this time I MEAN IT) here.

Day 1 - still 41 for now. Didn't get on the scale or use the tape measure because eh, I'll wait until I'm 42.

Supplements: 3 Omega-3s (3,000 mg total), 1 D3 (1,000 IU), 1 gut floral from MDA, 3 calcium/magnesium, 1 super B complex

Breakfast: 3 pasture-raised eggs scrambled in coconut oil with fresh onions & minced garlic, 2 Applegate Farms chicken-apple sausages, a few handfuls of baby romaine lettuce, water. About to have a cup of black coffee.

More water. It's really amazing how much of eating for me is out of boredom or habit. It's something for me to keep in mind - am I really hungry, or am I just being utterly mindless and stuffing my face? Part of me wants to get out and (attempt to) walk; the rest of me wants a nap. Apparently, limping for three days is draining - who knew? Wonder what the caloric burn is for limping...

Didn't walk today, other than OMG shopping. Does that count as hunting and gathering? It totally should.

Lunch was a small container of plain Fage 2% yogurt, mixed with 1 c blueberries and 1 c raspberries. Nom. Also, had a handful of raw hazelnuts.

Snack was a granny smith apple with about 1 T of almond butter.

I'm trying to make chicken soup for dinner, but I may cave and just have organic ready-made chicken broth tonight and save my homemade project for tomorrow - otherwise, I won't be eating until, like, the witching hour by the time it's ready. Oops. Note to self: START COOKING SOONER.

Dinner: 1 c organic chicken broth, about 4 oz Boar's Head Ovengold turkey breast w/organic spicy brown mustard, <1/4 c shredded raw macadamia nuts

Yeah, so the homemade soup wasn't ready until, um, 10:40 pm. And I have 7 containers filled. Looks like I'll be having chicken soup for breakfast, lunch, dinner, between-meal snacks, midnight snacks, bathroom snacks...

Dessert: 2.5 clementine oranges. Very yum.

All in all, not bad for my first day back.
    Last edited by dragonjax; 12-05-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Filled in meals, etc., throughout the day.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back And read yesterday's main page about ice/compression for your knee, if you haven't already

Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    Welcome back And read yesterday's main page about ice/compression for your knee, if you haven't already
    Thanks!!! And thanks also for mentioning the main post - I'll go find it.

Zee
    Zee is offline Senior Member
    Hi! I turned 42 last Sunday... here's to a GREAT year for both of us!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Hi! I turned 42 last Sunday... here's to a GREAT year for both of us!!
    Happy birthday to you! And yes, here's to 42 being AWESOME for us!

Day 2. Going to see the doc today about my knee. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Visions of "No more TKD" are in my brain. Stupid brain. If I have to do forms with a cane, that's what I would do -- so there! (I'm sure my knee will be absolutely fine. I'm just a big ol' baby.) My meal plan today is: B - 3 eggs scrambled in coconut oil w/yellow peppers, onions & garlic (spices: pink salt, black pepper, tumeric, dill), black coffee, 2 chicken-apple sausage links, water; L - homemade chicken soup (hope it doesn't suck!!!), hazelnuts; D - Fage plain Greek yogurt w/fresh raspberries and 1 small banana; dessert/snacks of apple w/almond butter and/or a couple of clementine oranges. Have to beat this cold! Also: my daily vitamins, plus 1000 of C.

Restocked the three bird feeders outside. Birds immediately thanked me by eating. Don't know why, but watching birds at the feeders makes me feel peaceful.

And...probably not ACL, but may be meniscus tear. Have to go for an MRI, then a follow up in two weeks. No TKD until then; must wear knee brace whenever I'm walking around. FEH.

Last night I had about 1/4 of a Dagoba dark chocolate bar, a handful of hazelnuts, and about 4 oz of red wine for my super decadent dessert.

Also, delving headfirst into TMI Land, I've found that since taking a Magnesium/Calcium supplement regularly, I don't suffer from menstrual cramps, which are otherwise extremely uncomfortable. Consider this a PSA.

Going to make a bacon/shrimp-stuffed mushroom appetizer for tomorrow's party. Fingers crossed! And Loving Husband is going to make latkes. We agreed on the gluten-free flour (best we can do; not willing to substitute almond/coconut flour for the recipe), and I'm closing my eyes and not seeing the vegetable oil (ugh ugh ugh).

Zee
    Zee is offline Senior Member
    Sorry about your knee. Will it heal on its own? Hopefully...?

Magnesium/calcium helps relieve cramps? Do you think it's a particular ratio that is effective, or just taking a sufficient amount of each? I have calcium supps (that I generally forget about) but no magnesium.

Have fun at the party!

Quote Originally Posted by Zee View Post
    Sorry about your knee. Will it heal on its own? Hopefully...?

Magnesium/calcium helps relieve cramps? Do you think it's a particular ratio that is effective, or just taking a sufficient amount of each? I have calcium supps (that I generally forget about) but no magnesium.

Have fun at the party!
    Hi, Zee! I hope my knee just needs some time off from physical activity - but if it's a meniscus tear, I may need (a relatively minor) surgery. Fingers crossed for the non-surgery option!!! For the vitamins, I take a complex (I think from Naturol) that has magnesium and calcium combined. I'm not sure what the ratio is -- I'll get the bottle later and will let you know what the label says. I find that when I take straight magnesium, I get very tired - even if I'm taking other vitamins, like a super B complex, at the same time. But the calcium/magnesium supplement works very well for me. I'll tell you more later.

And thanks about the party! I've got my fingers crossed that the stuffed mushrooms will be yummy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast