Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quitting CW cold turkey with 48 hour fast page

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member

Quitting CW cold turkey with 48 hour fast

Primal Fuel
    After lurking for months I'm ready to take the paleo plunge.

One year ago I was lying on the sofa, unemployed, smoking 2 packs/day, with man-boobs and no friends. I had just spent a week watching seasons 1 through 8 of Seinfeld continuously on my laptop, stopping only for bathroom and microwave breaks. As the first episode of season 9 started I had this terrible depression come over me. It was a bright sunny day outside and if you've ever been depressed you know those days are the worst, you just pray for clouds and rain to make you feel better.

I decided to go outside because anything was better than more Seinfeld. As soon as I stepped into the sunlight I felt happy. It was like a miracle. I hadn't gotten sun on my skin in weeks and when it happened it was like a woman's caress.

So I decided to change my life. There were 3 things I wanted to do:
    1) quit smoking
    2) stop eating crap
    3) meet a nice girl

I knew I couldn't do them all at once so I gave myself 6 months to accomplish each, starting with smoking. I went to the store and bought 10 packs of cigarettes. I put them in a backpack along with some pre-microwaved hot pockets and walked into some nearby woods. I then smoked all 200 cigarettes over the next 5 hours while munching on the delicious pepperoni pizza hot pockets. When it was all over I was pretty sure I was going to die but somehow made it back home. That was 6 months ago and I haven't smoked another cigarette since .

Now it's time for step 2. I've done my research and I'm convinced paleo is the way to go. Bingeing then cold turkey worked last time, so I'm going to try it again. 5 days ago I went to Pathmark and bought $200 of microwavable food. I've eaten it all (almost) and somehow am still alive. I'm now eating my last tray of "Lean" Cuisine as I type. I feel like puking but it can only get better from here right?

I'm going to start my Primal life by taking a 48 hour water fast. I've never not eaten for more than maybe 20 hours at a time, so this should be interesting. I've been reading the experiences of others for inspiration and decided to type this post as a reminder to myself that there's no turning back.

I intend to break the fast at 9PM Thursday by eating baked salmon seasoned with Kerrygold butter and copious bok choy. To be honest that sounds kind of gross but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I don't know what to do with myself during this 48 hours. I'm considering going for a really long walk: maybe over the GW bridge and all the way down Manhattan.

Maybe after 6 months of being Primal I'll meet a nice chick.
    Last edited by dizzyorange; 12-05-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Interesting system for ditching the vices. It seems to have worked on the cigs. I wish you well in your other goals.

reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Hey--Whatever works for you. Keep us updated on the fast!

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the encouragement. I'm about to set off on my walk. At 3 miles/hour I'll probably catch the sunrise somewhere downtown, just in time for the morning train back across the river. I am getting quite pumped up about this — I read Stephen King (as Richard Bachman)'s The Long Walk last month and going to pretend there are dudes with carbines on half-tracks making sure I keep up my 3 mph or else...

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Great, glad you could join us on the primal side.

A 48 hour fast might be kind of hard if you haven't eaten this way just yet though, so best of luck!

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Congrats to you for taking those steps to improve your life!!! I would love to hear updates of how you are doing through the fast and beyond. Keep us posted, and pop in and ask questions if you have any.

Huntress is offline Junior Member
    Hahahahaha!

I just had a fleeting thought wondering how you were going to use this strategy for step 3 of your plan (find a nice chick). Guess we'll hear how that goes in 6 months time after you've succeeded with Paelo the way you have with smoking :-)

Stay positive! All the best

Char Aznable is offline Member
    Best of luck! Eager to hear about your fast!

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Lol. Best.first.post.ever.

So what's the strategy for meeting a woman? I'm sure you'll have an interesting plan of attack considering how you dealt with your other goals.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Holy crap!

That was a pretty awesome first post. Welcome aboard!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast