Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47

Thread: Quitting CW cold turkey with 48 hour fast page 4

  1. #31
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,182
    Yeah it's better not to ingest it in the first place. I have to say I am amazed at your intensity!

  2. #32
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Yeah it's better not to ingest it in the first place. I have to say I am amazed at your intensity!
    Yeah, if he can go cold turkey on the smokes, he should be able to toss the sugar monkey too.

  3. #33
    dizzyorange's Avatar
    dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    147
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yeah, if he can go cold turkey on the smokes, he should be able to toss the sugar monkey too.
    Letting go of sugar has been more difficult. Maybe it's because the cigs weren't making me feel good anymore. But sugar on the tongue after not eating all day is sooo good.

  4. #34
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,182
    I think sugar is really hard to kick. I'm glad I was never hooked on it (I'm one of those folks that are boringly moderate in all things). But I have that you can do it!

  5. #35
    healthy11's Avatar
    healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,179
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    After lurking for months I'm ready to take the paleo plunge.

    One year ago I was lying on the sofa, unemployed, smoking 2 packs/day, with man-boobs and no friends. I had just spent a week watching seasons 1 through 8 of Seinfeld continuously on my laptop, stopping only for bathroom and microwave breaks. As the first episode of season 9 started I had this terrible depression come over me. It was a bright sunny day outside and if you've ever been depressed you know those days are the worst, you just pray for clouds and rain to make you feel better.

    I decided to go outside because anything was better than more Seinfeld. As soon as I stepped into the sunlight I felt happy. It was like a miracle. I hadn't gotten sun on my skin in weeks and when it happened it was like a woman's caress.

    So I decided to change my life. There were 3 things I wanted to do:
    1) quit smoking
    2) stop eating crap
    3) meet a nice girl

    I knew I couldn't do them all at once so I gave myself 6 months to accomplish each, starting with smoking. I went to the store and bought 10 packs of cigarettes. I put them in a backpack along with some pre-microwaved hot pockets and walked into some nearby woods. I then smoked all 200 cigarettes over the next 5 hours while munching on the delicious pepperoni pizza hot pockets. When it was all over I was pretty sure I was going to die but somehow made it back home. That was 6 months ago and I haven't smoked another cigarette since .

    Now it's time for step 2. I've done my research and I'm convinced paleo is the way to go. Bingeing then cold turkey worked last time, so I'm going to try it again. 5 days ago I went to Pathmark and bought $200 of microwavable food. I've eaten it all (almost) and somehow am still alive. I'm now eating my last tray of "Lean" Cuisine as I type. I feel like puking but it can only get better from here right?

    I'm going to start my Primal life by taking a 48 hour water fast. I've never not eaten for more than maybe 20 hours at a time, so this should be interesting. I've been reading the experiences of others for inspiration and decided to type this post as a reminder to myself that there's no turning back.

    I intend to break the fast at 9PM Thursday by eating baked salmon seasoned with Kerrygold butter and copious bok choy. To be honest that sounds kind of gross but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I don't know what to do with myself during this 48 hours. I'm considering going for a really long walk: maybe over the GW bridge and all the way down Manhattan.

    Maybe after 6 months of being Primal I'll meet a nice chick.
    Dude... that's quite extreme... good luck. Really... I mean it because you sound like you've hit rock bottom. But geez dude love yourself, man! You could always start off with some eggs and bacon, too, you know! You don't have to throw yourself into a fast, but if extreme is your style, which apparently it is then okay... it just doesn't have to be like that. Primal eating is awesome! It takes a little bit of adjustment, but what I love is that we can eat FAT and MEAT! We don't have to starve on a lowfat vegetarian diet like the government thinks we should. You will love this way of eating and you will succeed! You don't have to fast or go hungry. Just eat primal goodness and you'll be on your way to health and meeting that good girl!!

  6. #36
    reallygravity's Avatar
    reallygravity is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    151
    Unfortunately, calories really dont work that way. Eating 150 calories of apple is totally different than eating 150 calories of cake. Your body processes different kinds of calories in different ways.

    So bottom line, ditch the sugar. It is hard (ask me how I know!), but you can do it. If you add more fat, meat, and vegetables, you will soon be able to wean off the sugar. Also, eat the (primal) stuff that you love. Try new recipes, learn new cooking skills. In the beginning, I viewed Primal as a new "hobby." Made it that much exciting.

  7. #37
    UFNut's Avatar
    UFNut is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    After lurking for months I'm ready to take the paleo plunge.

    One year ago I was lying on the sofa, unemployed, smoking 2 packs/day, with man-boobs and no friends. I had just spent a week watching seasons 1 through 8 of Seinfeld continuously on my laptop, stopping only for bathroom and microwave breaks. As the first episode of season 9 started I had this terrible depression come over me. It was a bright sunny day outside and if you've ever been depressed you know those days are the worst, you just pray for clouds and rain to make you feel better.

    I decided to go outside because anything was better than more Seinfeld. As soon as I stepped into the sunlight I felt happy. It was like a miracle. I hadn't gotten sun on my skin in weeks and when it happened it was like a woman's caress.

    So I decided to change my life. There were 3 things I wanted to do:
    1) quit smoking
    2) stop eating crap
    3) meet a nice girl

    I knew I couldn't do them all at once so I gave myself 6 months to accomplish each, starting with smoking. I went to the store and bought 10 packs of cigarettes. I put them in a backpack along with some pre-microwaved hot pockets and walked into some nearby woods. I then smoked all 200 cigarettes over the next 5 hours while munching on the delicious pepperoni pizza hot pockets. When it was all over I was pretty sure I was going to die but somehow made it back home. That was 6 months ago and I haven't smoked another cigarette since .

    Now it's time for step 2. I've done my research and I'm convinced paleo is the way to go. Bingeing then cold turkey worked last time, so I'm going to try it again. 5 days ago I went to Pathmark and bought $200 of microwavable food. I've eaten it all (almost) and somehow am still alive. I'm now eating my last tray of "Lean" Cuisine as I type. I feel like puking but it can only get better from here right?

    I'm going to start my Primal life by taking a 48 hour water fast. I've never not eaten for more than maybe 20 hours at a time, so this should be interesting. I've been reading the experiences of others for inspiration and decided to type this post as a reminder to myself that there's no turning back.

    I intend to break the fast at 9PM Thursday by eating baked salmon seasoned with Kerrygold butter and copious bok choy. To be honest that sounds kind of gross but I'm sure I'll get used to it. I don't know what to do with myself during this 48 hours. I'm considering going for a really long walk: maybe over the GW bridge and all the way down Manhattan.

    Maybe after 6 months of being Primal I'll meet a nice chick.
    I can't wait to read about your binge before meeting a nice girl

  8. #38
    dizzyorange's Avatar
    dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    147
    Been a week since my last post, and I've only had 1 box of coconut cream bars. That was the day after an attempted mugging resulted in a broken nose. Otherwise I've eaten only chicken, beef, fish, veggies, and butter. I'm still planning to unload on a box of cream bars once a week, but that seems to fit in with the carb cycling plans I've been reading about. Otherwise I feel mostly craving free. Glad to be rid of the sugar demon!

  9. #39
    clayjay's Avatar
    clayjay is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    5
    Ahh this is so inspirational. I love your posts, so hilarious, and relatable. I have been planning on taking the plunge with a fast as well, after reading your post, I too am going to do it. Not sure i'll make it half as long as you did, but i'm going to start with a day.

  10. #40
    Paleobird's Avatar
    Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    Been a week since my last post, and I've only had 1 box of coconut cream bars. That was the day after an attempted mugging resulted in a broken nose. Otherwise I've eaten only chicken, beef, fish, veggies, and butter. I'm still planning to unload on a box of cream bars once a week, but that seems to fit in with the carb cycling plans I've been reading about. Otherwise I feel mostly craving free. Glad to be rid of the sugar demon!
    Um, you might want to read some more about carb cycling. Something like sweet potatoes would be a better carb up option than coconut cream bars (which I'm assuming are full of sugar). Keeping those in the house is like keeping a pack of smokes around. Just sayin'....if it's not there you can't eat it and it is much easier to have will power at the grocery store that at midnight at home.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •