Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Almond milk? page 4

AmyP is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Almond milk is part of my 20%..I use three splashes a day in coffee and the very occasional swig out of the carton to get that milk in my mouth feel. I am sensitive to dairy and apparently calories..

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Yeah, almonds themselves (and many nuts) are a rich source of vitamin E so I'm not sure why the E in almond milk would need be synthetic. I don't know as I don't buy almond milk, but it doesn't make sense to me. As to PUFA its a not issue specifically because these sorts of foods are prepackaged with the necessary vitamins to make it so.
    PUFA is always an issue. Vitamin E is only needed in very small amounts when PUFA is kept to a minimum and iron is under control. Soaking nuts for hours just to reduce phytates so they aren't binding as much to several important minerals to get a PUFA bomb-inferior-food isn't worth it at all.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    PUFA is always an issue.....
    No its not...but, rather than make a blanket statement without backing I'll even provide a bit of science

The effect of increased intakes of polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E on DNA damage in human lymphocytes

Rather than listing them one by one though (as there are quite a few..) here Let me google that for you

There is even a Peat Q&A in the list there for ya!

If your eating Primal your PUFA will naturally be lower than SAD, but not taken to extremes as to be determined deadly in any sum. Heck that sounds as bad as someone saying ANY amount of glucose regardless of source is absolutely toxic to everyone doesn't it?
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-05-2012 at 07:06 PM.

No its not...but, rather than make a blanket statement without backing I'll even provide a bit of science

The effect of increased intakes of polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E on DNA damage in human lymphocytes

Rather than listing them one by one though (as there are quite a few..) here Let me google that for you

If your eating Primal your PUFA will naturally be lower than SAD, but not taken to extremes as to be determined deadly in any sum. Heck that sounds as bad as someone saying ANY amount of glucose regardless of source is absolutely toxic to everyone doesn't it?
    This study says essentially what I said in the post you quoted. What are you doing?

These changes were abolished by an additional 80 mg dα-tocopherol/day. This study indicates that increasing dietary levels of PUFA to 15% may adversely affect some indices of DNA stability. However, increasing the dietary intake of vitamin E by 80 mg/day ameliorates the damaging effects of PUFA.
    When PUFA is limited, vitamin e requirements are lowered.

Unsaturated fatty acids: Nutritionally essential, or toxic?

You didn't think your post through very far, I guess.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Well, I agree and disagree.

Nuts are totally primal approved. But even with their high vitamin E levels I would not advocate eating handful after handful of them. That would still rack your omega-6 levels a bit high and not be a good thing.

But on the other hand, saying that the occasional handful of nuts, a glass of nut milk, or a tablespoon or two of nut butter is ALWAYS going to cause issues is a bit alarmist. In moderate doses, you are probably ok.

Also, I do agree that the typical primal eater should have lower omega-6 (well, PUFAs in general) levels over SAD, vegetarian, and even vegan eaters. This is why including a handful of nuts won't send you into a state of extreme oxidative stress.

So, I do agree with the "chill out" message.

Leonharte is offline Member
    ... That's quite a discussion I lit a fire under. But thanks for all the information, every bit helps.
    Starting weight: 90kg (11/3/13) (33.1 BMI)
    Current weight: 89.5kg (12/3/13) (32.9 BMI)
    Goal weight: 75kg (27.5 BMI)
    Short term goal: BMI under 30
    Mid term goal:
    40 pushups, 100 situps, 10 pullups, 10.1 beep test, >10m 2.4km run
    Long term goal: Enlist as an ARA Combat Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This study says essentially what I said in the post you quoted. What are you doing?
    Meh, your first sentence is "PUFA is always an issue"....just highlighting the instances that they are not. As in when eaten in a natural food state that combines them with specific constituents shown to eliminate their potential harmful effect.

I just don't see the sense in totally eliminating PUFA so I don't have to eat the vitamin E that comes with it anyhow. Just did not compute for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Well, I agree and disagree.....

So, I do agree with the "chill out" message.
    Tis all good.

Meh, your first sentence is "PUFA is always an issue"....just highlighting the instances that they are not. As in when eaten in a natural food state that combines them with specific constituents shown to eliminate their potential harmful effect.

I just don't see the sense in totally eliminating PUFA so I don't have to eat the vitamin E that comes with it anyhow. Just did not compute for me.
    Vitamin e only helps stop the chain of peroxidation, it does not displace every harmful effect of PUFA.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 12-06-2012 at 02:50 AM.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    I'd rather drink heavily processed almond milk than non organic, grain fed cows milk but if you can get good cows milk, then go for it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast