Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Almond milk? page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Oh no doubt coconut has a lot to offer, just meant as a replacement for milk. I will have to try to find that brand around here.
    http://www.realfooduniversity.com/nu...k-substitutes/

This is an interesting comparison chart. While the cow juice did much better on calcium and Vit A, the coconut milk came out ahead on Vit C and iron.

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes but people dont usually drink milk for vit C or iron. They drink it for calcium, A, B's, D, also it has quite a bit of Phosphorus, selenium, potassium and zinc. I really just meant as a direct comparison to milk, non of these are good substitute. I agree that coconut milk is a high quality food and one of the best sources or saturated fat.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Even the kind in the can should have guar gum added to it.
    I've seen a couple of brands before that don't have it. I forget the names, but there are good brands out there.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes but people dont usually drink milk for vit C or iron. They drink it for calcium, A, B's, D, also it has quite a bit of Phosphorus, selenium, potassium and zinc. I really just meant as a direct comparison to milk, non of these are good substitute. I agree that coconut milk is a high quality food and one of the best sources or saturated fat.
    Right. They are both good and mixing it up is a way to cover all the nutritional bases while keeping the taste buds happy.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm actually rather fond of soy milk, having grown up with it in Asia. I'd take it over almond milk any day, but almond milk is pretty gross if you read the ingredient list. Stick to real milk if you can tolerate the lactose.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I second making your own if you want to use Almond milk.. no worries then about what else is in it..
    & while its not something I have very often, homemade taste much nicer IMO
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Almond milk is a STELLAR source of vitamin E.
    You mean a stellar source of poorly absorbed synthetic vitamin e? I guess it's a good thing it does, because it contains absurd amounts of PUFA, and phytates. Not to mention the solvents used to break down the nuts to liquid. In "organic" almond milk, I've even seen vitamin d2 added lol.
    nihil

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    I thought almond milk was a medieval food? Did people in 11th century Europe even have synthetic vitamins?

The pitch I've heard is that it was used as an off-season and storage-safe milk substitute 1000+ years ago. Or maybe it was just that the stuff I sampled was 1000 years old...tasted like it. Either way I think I would have to be seriously jonesing for milk, like way seriously, to drink what amounts to water with almond flour suspended in it.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Him View Post
    I thought almond milk was a medieval food? Did people in 11th century Europe even have synthetic vitamins?
    Yeah, almonds themselves (and many nuts) are a rich source of vitamin E so I'm not sure why the E in almond milk would need be synthetic. I don't know as I don't buy almond milk, but it doesn't make sense to me. As to PUFA its a not issue specifically because these sorts of foods are prepackaged with the necessary vitamins to make it so.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The first and only time I bought almond milk, I ended up feeding it to the garbage disposal......I'd much rather have coconut milk, even watered down if I've already had enough calories and fat for the day.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast