Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Almond milk? page 2

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Almond milk is a STELLAR source of vitamin E.

But yes, do be aware that you CAN overdo them since they are high in omega-6 fats so maybe just switch it up every once in a while with almond milk but not a regular thing. And coconut milk to echo the others, is a great way to change up the dairy as well.

Sometimes it's hard to know if you've got issues with dairy or not if you've never NOT had it before. Experiment, experiment, experiment.

Zach is offline Banned
    All milk alternatives are complete garbage, including coconut, almond, rice and soy. They are full of fillers and gums and any actual vitamin or mineral in them has been added.

Drink real milk from an animal.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    All milk alternatives are complete garbage, including coconut, almond, rice and soy. They are full of fillers and gums and any actual vitamin or mineral in them has been added.

Drink real milk from an animal.
    Nah, if I use coconut milk, I use the stuff from a can, full-fat and all, not that bottled or cartoned crap.

And all you need to make your own almond milk is almonds, water, and a blender.

RobbyJ is offline Member
    Mixed with Vodka and Kahlua, I find the flavor of almond milk disgusting. I can't stand it strait, or in coffee either, and although I've never tried it over Fruit Loops I'm pretty sure it would make me vomit. As someone who avoids milk and rarely has either butter, cream, or cheese once or twice a week, my substitute of choice is Coconut. There's a Trader Joe's in my area that sells an unflavored, unsweetened carton that's delicious. My new favorite pre-bed snack is 1/2 cup frozen blue berries in a glass with coconut milk poured over. Stir vigorously with a fork to break up the fruit and drink.

MarkHolland is offline Banned
    Almond milk can also made at home,by mixing ground almond with water in blender. You may also add Vanilla flavoring and sweeteners with it.

Thanks!

Paleobird Guest
    All milk alternatives are complete garbage, including coconut, almond, rice and soy. They are full of fillers and gums and any actual vitamin or mineral in them has been added. Drink real milk from an animal.
    You need to find a better health food store. My coconut milk has one ingredient, coconuts. Yes, there are junky ones out there but that just means you have to read some labels. I also have nothing against cow juice.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkHolland View Post
    Almond milk can also made at home,by mixing ground almond with water in blender. You may also add Vanilla flavoring and sweeteners with it.
    This would be the best way if you were going with almonds. But this still has the problem of overdoing the nuts. I'm not sure exactly how many nuts would be required to make say a cup of almond milk but it would probably be substantially easier to over-consume liquified nuts as opposed to ones you had to chew. Yes, the PUFA patrol will tell you that almonds are going to wreck your O3/O6 balance, yada, yada. True but the key is in the quantities involved.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Nah, if I use coconut milk, I use the stuff from a can, full-fat and all, not that bottled or cartoned crap.

And all you need to make your own almond milk is almonds, water, and a blender.
    Even the kind in the can should have guar gum added to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    You need to find a better health food store. My coconut milk has one ingredient, coconuts. Yes, there are junky ones out there but that just means you have to read some labels. I also have nothing against cow juice.
    Well i stand corrected then. What brand is it? Pure coconut milk would definitely be a good alternative, not for calcium, and all the other vits and minerals but thats what cheese and butter is for.

Paleobird Guest
    Well i stand corrected then. What brand is it? Pure coconut milk would definitely be a good alternative, not for calcium, and all the other vits and minerals but thats what cheese and butter is for.
    Aroy-D. I buy it at my local asian supermarket. You are right that dairy has lots of nutrients but coconut is not nutritionally void by any stretch. Look up the micros. Plus the MCT factor.

I like both and it is nice to change things up.

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Aroy-D. I buy it at my local asian supermarket. You are right that dairy has lots of nutrients but coconut is not nutritionally void by any stretch. Look up the micros. Plus the MCT factor.

I like both and it is nice to change things up.
    Oh no doubt coconut has a lot to offer, just meant as a replacement for milk. I will have to try to find that brand around here.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast