Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Congressional Committee Casts a Harsh Eye On Vaccination Science page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Congressional Committee Casts a Harsh Eye On Vaccination Science

Primal Fuel
    A recent hearing of the Congressional Committee on Oversight and Government Reform became a bully pulpit for antivaccination rhetoric when Representatives Dan Burton (R-Ind.) and Dennis Kucinich (D-Oh.) made speeches connecting vaccines to autism a connection that medical experts have shown does not exist. Although there were actual medical researchers there as witnesses, they were mostly berated by the Congressmen on the panel. Vaccines are one of the most successful medical advancements in human history, having saved hundreds of millions of lives, and after copious studies have been shown to have no connection with autism. Despite this, a vocal antivax lobby exists, including, clearly, members of Congress. In part this is why preventable and potentially fatal diseases like pertussis and measles are once again on the rise.
    Congressional Committee Casts a Harsh Eye On Vaccination Science - Slashdot

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Isn't it supposed to be the mercury in the things that causes autism? Why not just take it out?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

BratKat is offline Senior Member
    The amount of mercury in most flu vaccines exceeds what is considered safe for human consumption, but, hey, vaccines are good for you, so what's a slightly toxic dose of mercury every year? There is flu vaccine available (the "preservative free" variety) that has almost no mercury, but is is more expensive, so most places offering vaccines give YOU the one with the more substantial dose of mercury. Actually, mercury is only one of unhealthy ingredients found in many vaccines...

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    Apparently, most or all of the thermerisol (mercury) has been removed from the flu vaccines. I have never gotten the flu vac for me or my children. My oldest son has autism. I believe it to be triggered by all the vacs he had before the age of 16 months.
    Ask yourself this -- where in nature would you be infected with Measles, Mumps & Ruebella all at the same time? Or diptheria, pertussis & tetanus?
    The cummulative amount of unnatural SHIT that the government says we need to inject into tiny bodies blows my mind.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    On the one hand you have politicians. I'm sure many of them started out idealists, but by the time they end up in DC, they're all just crooks with agendas.

On the other hand you have scientists. I'm sure many of them started out idealists, but sadly ended up working for BigPharma. BigPharma is owned by crooks with agendas.

Tough to know who to believe when the dollar means more than the truth to our "experts."

Aurora, when I was a child, it was quite common for children to get measles, mumps, ruebella (which we called German measles), and chicken pox. I had measles and mumps; my little brother had chicken pox and mumps. The only vaccine that was mandatory for school back then was small pox, and they gave it to babies routinely. I agree that they do seem to be pumping a lot of stuff into very small bodies.

I'm within spitting distance of the age where it is recommended that I start getting the flu vac, but I'm thinking of waiting 'til I'm 80 or so.

Hold off as long as you can, Joanie. You'll also get romanced into getting the pneumo vac soon. I can remember chicken pox and mumps almost as a right of passage for a kid. My 2 sisters and I all had chicken pox when we were little, not fun but we survived it (better than my mom did at the time, lol).
    The chickpox vaccine came out the year my son was born and I remember asking the pediatrician if she thought he should have it. She said that she thought it was too new and to wait because she wasn't sure it was safe. So I waited. He ended up getting it when he was 5 so that he could go to school (I've since educated myself and my 2nd son was exempted).

I wonder how many BigPharma scientists vaccinate their own children.

I know that it's easy to sound like a conspiracy theory nutcase, but sometimes all you have to do is 'follow the money'.

yelena is offline Member
    There is no mercury in the childhood vaccines. That was taken out a long time ago. AuroraB, you can believe what you like, but vaccines had absolutely nothing to do with your son's autism. And if you're wondering why we pump all these vaccines into small children, try reading this: Making Light: Why We Immunize

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AuroraB View Post
    Hold off as long as you can, Joanie. You'll also get romanced into getting the pneumo vac soon. I can remember chicken pox and mumps almost as a right of passage for a kid. My 2 sisters and I all had chicken pox when we were little, not fun but we survived it (better than my mom did at the time, lol).
    This is arguing from personal anecdotes, not data. The reality of course is that chicken pox, measles, mumps and rubella all can and do kill children and adults--otherwise we would never have bothered to develop the vaccines. For all of these illnesses the incidence of injury or death due to the vaccine is much lower than the risk if the illness is actually contracted. This is not a difficult concept--and it means that even if vaccines have a small chance of harming your child, the responsible and reasonable thing to do is still to vaccinate them. And of course, if more parents start exempting their children, the diseases come roaring back to life and outbreaks become more common--which means you're not only putting your own child at risk, but also other people's children, some of whom may be immunocompromised and more likely to die from such infections than your healthy child is. And that's not even to mention the adults you are putting at risk, because first-time chicken pox infections are more serious in adulthood than childhood. And vaccinating against chicken pox also reduces the incidence of shingles in adults, since they're caused by the same virus.

The chickpox vaccine came out the year my son was born and I remember asking the pediatrician if she thought he should have it. She said that she thought it was too new and to wait because she wasn't sure it was safe. So I waited. He ended up getting it when he was 5 so that he could go to school (I've since educated myself and my 2nd son was exempted).
    That was probably reasonable advice at the time, but now that we've had 20 years to demonstrate the safety of the vaccine, what you are doing is putting your second son at a higher risk than necessary because you misunderstand the relative risks, and have been frightened by anti-science fearmongers who are taking advantage of your admirable instinct to protect your children in order to promote their ideology. Which is really unfortunate for everyone involved.

I wonder how many BigPharma scientists vaccinate their own children.
    Probably 99.9% of them. I don't want to say 100% because there are "deviants" in every bunch. But I would bet money it's much closer to 100% than it is to 90%.

I know that it's easy to sound like a conspiracy theory nutcase, but sometimes all you have to do is 'follow the money'.
    The fact that someone is making a profit off of a given product is not, in itself, evidence that product is bad for you. It's a motivation for the profiteer to hide harms caused by the product if those harms exist. It's a reason to use caution and be vigilant for abuse, not to assume the abuse is already occurring despite a lack of evidence.

In the case of vaccines we have ample evidence, from studies in multiple countries covering hundreds of thousands of individuals over many years, that the positive effects of childhood vaccination far outweigh the infrequent adverse reactions, and that vaccines unequivocally do not cause autism. There is as little controversy over these facts in the scientific community as there is over whether humans are a major contributing cause of climate change, or whether we descended from a common ancestor with chimpanzees. That is to say, essentially none.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm not surprised.

I read that in the U.S. a child can be given up to sixty (60) vaccinations now.

I don't know the current figure in the U.K. I think it would be three of four -- certainly under half a dozen.

I think when this is going on at a fairly low level no-one really asks about the science -- and it's asserted, and believed, that any and all objections are irrational and obfuscatory. An easy trick to pull off with a bit of rhetoric when it's going on at that level. And some objections, of course, may be and, indeed, almost certainly are, but all ... ? How about showing that?

But when you've got the whole process ratcheted up like that -- and why wouldn't big pharma do that if they could? it's profitable -- then, yeah, it's going to come under more scrutiny. My current thought is that if this is looked into closely and honestly without fear or favour many assertions that have been made are going to be shown to be pretty groundless.

Maybe they'll have killed the goose that lays the golden egg by not knowing when it's prudent to stop.

Uncephalized,

I agree to disagree with everything you stated, but will not have an arguement over this subject with someone who is nearly the same age as my children. I've also worked in the medical field longer than you've been alive. I didn't make my decisions lightly. I've educated myself on this topic quite a bit since I live with it every day. I hope that if you have any children yet, that you will NEVER experience what I have as a parent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast