Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we gain are animal instincts and special senses back? page

Loneketo is offline Senior Member

Can we gain are animal instincts and special senses back?

Primal Fuel
    Cats clean their face when "bad" weather is coming. Rain, snow, whatever... They also tend to become very frisky and afraid before an earthquake, same with dogs

Stuff like that... Now I know for that dogs have hundreds of times more acute sense as well as cats and many other animals seem to be sensitive to environment changes.

The question is, can we gain our [mostly] lost instincts that warned Our ancestors of danger and other changes in the environment?

I meant to put this in Odds and Ends, I apologize. If someone can move it that would be great.

Ana Tane is offline Junior Member
    Loneketo

The way i look at it is like this. We are animals, born and bred. We have become acustomed to living in a world with a lot going on around us. Noise, always on the go and just being active allbeit in a passive manner. it would take a long time to desensatise yourself from all whats going on and get some of those skills back.

An example is when your in the bush. Its quiet. After a few minutes you start to hear more and your natural senses improve.

Everyone has a story to tell like, "i new something was going to happen, i had this feeling, then all of a sudden...."

People can smell rain coming and changes in weather, this happens with experience in your surroundings.

My opinion, we all have those skills, some can feel and read them more than others. If you take the time to notice the signs then you will improve and devlope this natural way of life.
    Ana-Tane = (Cave Man)

Blacksmith is offline Senior Member
    I agree there are many people who are far more attuned to things like that. I believe it's a skill and not instinct but when you can flip on the weather channel you have no incentive to learn.
    Go out into the woods on a foggy day, you'll hear all kinds of things you normally dont.
    I find your lack of bacon disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Tane View Post
    Loneketo

The way i look at it is like this. We are animals, born and bred. We have become acustomed to living in a world with a lot going on around us. Noise, always on the go and just being active allbeit in a passive manner. it would take a long time to desensatise yourself from all whats going on and get some of those skills back.

An example is when your in the bush. Its quiet. After a few minutes you start to hear more and your natural senses improve.

Everyone has a story to tell like, "i new something was going to happen, i had this feeling, then all of a sudden...."

People can smell rain coming and changes in weather, this happens with experience in your surroundings.

My opinion, we all have those skills, some can feel and read them more than others. If you take the time to notice the signs then you will improve and devlope this natural way of life.
    Yeh I can smell rain, and I can feel drop
    In air pressure(hard to explain), it feels like a sudden drop, like all the air around just "drops" to me. That's how it feels anyway. When I can leave the city I would love to go in nature to use my own senses to rely on instead of the weather channel as Blacksmith said. The sense I believe are still very wellactive, but are blocked out by today's modernism, which is seemingly obvious.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    My husband always says that when the cat cleans behind its ears - its going to rain ????
    Before all the 1000s of earthquakes that we have had over the last 18 months - the two million birds that live in the trees around us - go quiet. Its really spooky.
    On my daughters dairy farm, the cows all sat down on their way into the dairy shed (4.30am), minutes before the big quake.
    maybe animals are attuned to the earth vibrations, noise ?
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    My husband always says that when the cat cleans behind its ears - its going to rain ????
    Before all the 1000s of earthquakes that we have had over the last 18 months - the two million birds that live in the trees around us - go quiet. Its really spooky.
    On my daughters dairy farm, the cows all sat down on their way into the dairy shed (4.30am), minutes before the big quake.
    maybe animals are attuned to the earth vibrations, noise ?
    Well my cat tends to clean the face and behind the ears, whatever you think I guess. They must be attuned because lack of other stimulus as another said. It would be Helpful to regain that, assuming we have that.
    Last edited by Loneketo; 12-05-2012 at 04:25 AM.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Well, you're in the southern hemisphere. Toilets flush backwards, and the seasons are reversed. I don't see why the differences wouldn't apply to feline meteorology.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    what you are asking about is related to the stuff taught at Wilderness Survival School | Wilderness Awareness School - Nature and Outdoor Survival School They teach tracking, wilderness survival, Bird Language, etc. Bird language is something you can do in the city -- see videos
    https://www.youtube.com/results?q=bi...=wy&authuser=0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxzlap9FLIQ

Edit: Here's some voice prints of the five different calls by specie
    Audio Listing: By Vocalization Type ę What the Robin Knows

Alarms calls http://whattherobinknows.com/read-li...zation/#alarms

A lot of the perching birds you'll hear are giving a warning call that will sound like chirping. A hunter may not pay attention to that call but deer will and look in the direction the chirp came from. This summer we had a bear near camp (it was getting into peoples stuff at night). I could tell were the bear was moving through the brush by paying attention to the bird above it. See the video explanation on this link Bird Language in Action: Cat vs. Dog Alarms

Go to a state park and find a quite place along a trail and sit quietly. After about 20 minutes everything will calm down. If you're paying attention a bird might give a warning call a minute or two before a hiker comes down the trail towards you.

Wilderness Awareness's The Kamana Naturalist Training Program - the Foundation for Learning Wilderness Skills! is a home naturalist study course which will involve you finding a "sit spot" near your home that you can go to nearly daily.
    Last edited by Scott F; 12-05-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Blanchy is offline Member
    Scott F., that is seriously cool. I just signed myself up for the free Bird Language course. Have you done it yourself?
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    Scott F., that is seriously cool. I just signed myself up for the free Bird Language course. Have you done it yourself?
    I haven't done the free language course (must be new since I last looked). I'll have to check it out. I have a lot of training in primitive survival skills. I actually prefer to call it primitive bushcraft since that's more descriptive. Bird language (along with tracking) was/is part of that study. As a hunter I can tell ya this bird language stuff works.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast