Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can we gain are animal instincts and special senses back? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    A nice long walk in the woods without music, without talking or the presence of someone else will help. I prescribe 2663 miles on the Pacific Crest. The Appalachian Trail is a little too crowded and close to the city. Good luck.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, you're in the southern hemisphere. Toilets flush backwards, and the seasons are reversed. I don't see why the differences wouldn't apply to feline meteorology.
    This could be a really fun argument to have today....ie which part of the world things happen backwards/reverse LOL...however i had best not !!!!!!
    have a great day peoples !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps nightwalking fits under this topic. The idea of it is to focus on the other end of the vision field, by crossing you eyes slightly so that your eyes aren't focused on where you put down your feet. The outer parts of our field of vision is actually a lot more sensitive to see both movement and in the dark. I've tried it and it's quite fun - when you can't focus your vision on what's in front of you, you really have to trust your unconsciousness to know what to do to stop you from falling. Our ancestors would've been more familiar to this than we are, seeing as we've grown up accustomed to reading and similar activities where we simply stare at a small area.

This article is silly long as hell, but pretty much cover it: NightWalking

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

drnemer is offline Member
    I am an Anthropology major. I will say that you have not lost any of your "animal senses' one you are a animal. Two you use your animal instincts and special senses everyday life. If you are talking about wilderness survival, I would say that you probably are smart enough and have enough instincts to adapt to most surroundings, which are your instincts.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    On my daughters dairy farm, the cows all sat down on their way into the dairy shed (4.30am), minutes before the big quake.
    maybe animals are attuned to the earth vibrations, noise ?
    when you had one of the ones after the one where everyone got killed, it shook worse down here where i was than it did on the nasty one. it just kept shaking for a few mins. the kids were way away at school so i checked out what the horse was doing. i figured she would know if it was anything to freak about. and she wasnt worried. she kept on eating grass. i try to pay attention to smells when i am out. i watch the dogs nose as he has the nose of a blood hound and is a fancy pants hunting dog so he is onto everything. i can tell from the clouds, the wind or how damp the air feels now if it is going to rain. all of this needs practise and a familiarity with your own environment. so yes i think we can get the skills back but you need to try as we have been urbanised for way too long.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drnemer View Post
    I am an Anthropology major. I will say that you have not lost any of your "animal senses' one you are a animal. Two you use your animal instincts and special senses everyday life. If you are talking about wilderness survival, I would say that you probably are smart enough and have enough instincts to adapt to most surroundings, which are your instincts.
    Yeah that's true. And here's an example: Some of the same people who teach wilderness survival awareness also teach classes in urban escape and evasion that draws upon the same basic awareness...just applied to a different environment

In nature you have what's called baseline behavior. Hunters experience it. You walk up to a hide/blind (or just out for a hike) and everything is quite (no birds or squirrels moving). The hunter/hiker has caused a bird plow ahead of him that communicated his/her approach to any other animals in the area. After about 20-30 minutes in the hunter's hide he'll see and hear the birds and squirrels moving and feeding. The environment has returned to "baseline." In the city you also have baseline activity and things that step outside that baseline can grab you attention. My dog's situational awareness is keen to the bird alarms here in the country. But if I turned him loose in the city (where his situational awareness sucks) he'd get his ass run over by running out into the highway.

Here's a video lecture on situational awareness and baseline applied to an urban environment
    Escape & Evasion - Dave Scott - 2011 Survival & Preparedness Conference - YouTube

see G4 video onPoint Tactical - BLOG: Watch onPoint on TV
    the owner of onpoint was featured in a History Channel program, After Armageddon (After Armageddon - History Channel (Read Description) - YouTube), a hypothetical pandemic. I haven't taken the class but it looks like it'd be fun.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    This could be a really fun argument to have today....ie which part of the world things happen backwards/reverse LOL...however i had best not !!!!!!
    have a great day peoples !
    Well, my globe says we're right-side up and you're upside-down. North being up and South being down. Plus, there's always snow on Xmas in the movies, which proves that December should be in the winter, not the summer.

Please present some equally specious evidence to the contrary and the games can begin. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12