Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alternate Day Fasting for Longevity page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneketo View Post
    Haha, very convenient actually. Fasting feels just as good as eating so as long as I eat enough I won't lose weight, since that's not the point.
    I havent completely followed this, but my son turns 19 today, and for the last few years, he is mostly one meal a day. Sometimes 2 meals, about every 12 hours sometimes. He is a bean pole. When he cut back the Dew and some of the fast food, he noticed he had more muscle definition w/o any other effort.

Both my sons eat this way, and both are lean. I can remember before I started my journey, my older son would come by and I would always try to stuff food down him, ya know, cuz that's what Moms do when they love you, and I could never understand it when he would say, No thank you, I am not hungry. I finally understand that now, but then it was a strange concept to me :P

Anyways, DS isnt into it for any other reason than it is just normal for him. He doesnt like to eat when he gets up, he never has. But when he does eat, he can pack it away and just naturally leans towards more primal at least when he is eating at home.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I fasted once a week in high school, every Sunday from supper to supper Monday. I was 16-17 years old. I don't know how much the extra year older would make as to development. I also don't know if being female makes a difference in full physical development at that age.

Girls used to marry at 14 and boys married very young also, and that's not Grok, that's 150 years ago or so. We tend to infantilze our children longer now because of more access to extended education, the complexity of the world, etc. But physically, they are adults once they can reproduce.

Also, Loneketo, do you fast every other day consistently? Twice a week? Other? I'm interested in this topic.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe I'm biased, but I believe that the reason why calorie restriction and fasting shows benefits is largely because if you're reducing calories on a standard American diet, you're reducing the amount of grains, vegetable oils and other processed foods you're taking in by accident. Someone eating 500 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil is more likely to live longer than someone eating 1,000 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil, even if the percentage of daily calories it makes up is the same. If someone follows a Primal Blueprint eating plan where toxic modern foods are eliminated, I wonder if the same health benefits would be realized.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

tcoop2232 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Maybe I'm biased, but I believe that the reason why calorie restriction and fasting shows benefits is largely because if you're reducing calories on a standard American diet, you're reducing the amount of grains, vegetable oils and other processed foods you're taking in by accident. Someone eating 500 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil is more likely to live longer than someone eating 1,000 calories a day of wheat and soybean oil, even if the percentage of daily calories it makes up is the same. If someone follows a Primal Blueprint eating plan where toxic modern foods are eliminated, I wonder if the same health benefits would be realized.
    Choco- I have always wondered the exact same thing. Is it the reduction of calories or the reduction of SAD calories entering the body?

I haven't been able to track down any reports or findings regarding calorie reduction using people consuming a Primal/Paleo diet. Anyone have a reference?

Good points because I remember one of the criticisms of the 5/2 BBC series was that the man who did the various fasts drove to a fast food place at the end.

Oh, and in high school, I didn't eat particularly healthy after my fast. I generally split a large pepperoni pizza with friends. Which by the way is easy to give up if you grew up on NY pizza, then moved away.

Loneketo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Good points because I remember one of the criticisms of the 5/2 BBC series was that the man who did the various fasts drove to a fast food place at the end.

Oh, and in high school, I didn't eat particularly healthy after my fast. I generally split a large pepperoni pizza with friends. Which by the way is easy to give up if you grew up on NY pizza, then moved away.
    Forget about this thread..

I eat Every other day very consistently, even every two days is possible, though I had never tried myself, and one who have to eat large amounts of meat to obtain approximately 6000(?) calories or more on average in one sitting. Lions and other big cats do this in a similar fashion. Gorging on 30lbs of meat, and being good for 3-4 days, resuming hunting. This may not be for the ones I notice that still think food as more pleasure then fuel. Sure you should enjoy your food, but I still notice some, even primal folk that still seem rather unwilling to go on even a day fast, for fear of loss of the sensation of food or some other, more fearful reason.

This could be a rather liberating way to eat, but maybe not consistently every three days, but once a week eat enough for three days, then maybe eat normal for two days, then skipping one day. It would emulate uncertainty in the wild which is really what made our ancestors the top species, the ability to adapt in most any situation, and being able to do so optimally. Example:

Mon: 7000 calories in one meal
    Tues: fast
    Wednesday: fast
    Thursday:4000 calorie in one meal
    Friday: Fast
    Saturday: eat normal 2000 calorie in one meal.
    Sunday: eat normal 2000 calorie in one meal.

It's may sound kind of extreme, but it might be something worthy of testing. I might try that one day myself. It is rather similar to ADF, but might have different benefits. Just speculation though.

Does anyone have thoughts if an above plan could work?
    Last edited by Loneketo; 01-06-2013 at 02:18 PM.

70in2012 is offline Senior Member
    3 meals a day, eaten at a dining table, brownbagged to office desk or wolved down while driving is an ultra ultra modern concept.

Therefore anyother configuration is a fair game.
    Few but ripe.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If you are eating less and fasting more, it's not intermittent fasting it's intermittent feeding.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12