Thread: Pre workout carbs page

zilog is offline Senior Member

Pre workout carbs

there have been a couple of threads about carbs recently that have got me thinking. I try to follow the Leangains method of higher carb on WO days and lower carbs otherwise. However reading these threads have made me wonder whether it would be a good idea to eat carbs either the day before my workout or as a Pre workout meal. The reason I ask is because, aside from the lifting, I am pretty active. I cycle to and from work every day (16 miles) and I normally run or swim on the days I'm not lifting. Might this cause my glycogen to become depleted before I work out meaning I won't be able to lift as much as I should? if I do take cabs before lifting, what should I go for? something high GI?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    depending on your goals, this is going to be an individual solution. your best course of action is to experiment and keep a log. try a couple weeks with pre-workout carbs, high carb days, low carb days...you could easily do a few months of 2-week experiments on this topic. keep a log of what you are doing and eating and how you feel/perform physically. you'll get your answer, and the the learning portion is fun.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Yep, depending on many parameters, but normally should a sufficient carbload the day before last throughout the following day and usually longer...

normally should a sufficient carbload the day before last throughout the following day and usually longer...
    in this scenario would you eat carbs post-workout as well or not bother? Also would high GI carbs a few hours before the workout have the same effect as low GI carbs (which is what I'd normally use for carbload) the day before?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You don't have to. I do cardio daily and I always fast beforehand with no detrimental effects that I can feel.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

You don't have to. I do cardio daily and I always fast beforehand with no detrimental effects that I can feel.
    hi. yes I actually do most of my cardio in a fasted state too so as to run off of fat. In this instance though I'm looking at weight lifting rather than cardio.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    in this scenario would you eat carbs post-workout as well or not bother?
    Right now I am on a diet to lose fat, so I eat carbs on Saturday, Sunday and Wednesday only. If doing recompensation it makes sense to eat carbs right after workout, but still not neccesary.

Quote Originally Posted by zilog View Post
    Also would high GI carbs a few hours before the workout have the same effect as low GI carbs (which is what I'd normally use for carbload) the day before?
    Try what works best for you, but I suppose that most people will do better on loading up on carbs AFTER a workout that depletes glycogen. When eating big amounts of simple and complex carbs in the afternoon and night after a high volume session the body may SUPERCOMPENSATE and store more carbs that normal. This will be digested and absorbed in your muscles for the days after. Personally I usually have the best energy in the gym Tuesday after carbloading Saturday and Sunday and not eating carbs until Wednesday...
    Last edited by Gorbag; 12-04-2012 at 07:38 PM.