Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving your eyesight naturally page

elektro is offline Member

Improving your eyesight naturally

Primal Fuel
    The Primal lifestyle has prompted me to not only question everything I eat, but everything around me in my day to day life, and especially any medical procedure. I have been wearing glasses and contacts most of my life. I have been recently looking into naturally correcting my vision. I've read reviews on dozens of books that use the Bates method and they get mostly 5 stars, with people saying they don't need glasses any longer. Then when I start searching on the internet for success stories, I can't find any, all I find is people saying it's BS. If it worked, then I would expect to see more success stories out there other than Amazon reviews. It seems odd that nobody can really verify if it's for real or not. I imagine that enough people have tried it over the years for it to be pretty clear cut by now, but I still haven't found any definitive proof. Has anyone tried it, know of anyone who has tried it, or have any resources I can look at to determine if it's something I should try or if it's just a hoax?
    Thanks!

feren6 is offline Member
    Hey Elektro,

I have actually looked into this as well a while back, but never followed through with it.

From what I've read, the Bates method has been disproved.

Actually..just found the article that I read on a topic called hormesis -- the concept that small, stressful situations will produce a positive response. Example: taking cold showers really sucks, but then your body will start to generate more heat, which will cause you to lose fat. Or something like that.

Anyways, here's the link: Rehabilitation*/* Getting Stronger

Scroll down a bit and there's a whole section on fixing your eyesight. It says..

Step 1. Find your starting range of focus:

“Take off your prescription lenses and put this page right on the end of your nose. Now push the print slowly away until it becomes clear and in focus, and stop. Now close each eye and see which one is sending the clear image to your brain. You have just entered the range of focus of your better close vision eye. It dominates for all close work…Now open both eyes, and slowly push the print away until the very first indication that the print is no longer perfectly clear and in focus, and stop…You have just found the limit of your range of focus for that eye”.

Step 2: Push your eyes to increase their range of focus.

For myopes, this is done by repeatedly pushing a printed page just slightly outside the range of focus, and allowing it to sharpen up or “clear”. (For hyperopes, the page is pulled closer until it blurs, then allowed to clear). The eye gradually adapts to increase its range. This can be done with different objects at different ranges. So it can be done with fine print close up, but also with larger objects in the distance. It is especially useful to focus on sharp lines, such as overhead electrical transmission lines, and houses or trees with sharp edges.
    It's a LONG article, but it goes into some theory and stuff. I'd check it out, look around to see if there are other things similar to that, and go from there. and PLEASE report back..I'm interested too

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Keeping blood sugar levels consistant and low is supposed to help with eye health.

I can honestly notice needing my reading glasses more often when I've been eating lots of crappy high-sugar foods.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I have heard that high blood sugar can contribute to glaucoma and other eye problems. Glaucoma runs in my family as a dominant trait. I have recently been diagnosed with borderline high intraocular pressure but there are no signs of damage to my peripheral vison yet.

My corrected vision has improved from 20/20 to 24/20 since eating primally. My sister has always been better than 20/20 and never needed correction.

I am only moderately short-sighted (first needed glasses in my early twenties from eye strain reading small-print biochemistry journals) but have always been able to focus much closer than normal at around 10 cm. I currently work at a computer for most of the day. I was born with the ability to focus on and follow faces around me which, according to my parents, seriously freaked out the medical staff as they'd never seen a case of it before.

I have to take my glasses off to read, otherwise I experience eye strain. I have been making an effort to put my glasses on a few times a day at work (in addition to loo breaks and going to make a coffee), and looking out of a window to focus long distance. I'm sure that's helped as a muscle workout in improving my corrected vision. I pretty much only wear glasses for driving, walking outdoors ( I sometimes remove them during the winter to increase exposure to sunlight), visiting the theatre and watching films on TV/at the cinema.

My colour vision has become more pronounced with increased consumption of coconut oil. I adore strong colour and contrasting colours, and am a very visual person, so this makes me very happy.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

feren6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I
    My colour vision has become more pronounced with increased consumption of coconut oil. I adore strong colour and contrasting colours, and am a very visual person, so this makes me very happy.
    This is intriguing. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this as well...because that is awesome.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    I am by no means any sort of expert, but considering that it is the shape of the eyeball itself that contributes to poor eyesight, I don't see how diet could play any factor at all. In someone nearsighted, the cornea is more cone shaped and in PRK surgery this cone is flattened out to improve vision. In someone farsighted like me, the cornea is already flattened and there is no effective surgery at this date to make it more cone shaped. I know the PRK stuff is a little off topic, but the gist of my comment might be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by feren6 View Post
    This is intriguing. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this as well...because that is awesome.
    I know. I googled this a while back and couldn't find any other experience of it.

It was yellow/green that leapt out at me. I have a dark red top with various coloured little buttons of it - some of them had always registered as yellow but after 2/3 weeks on coconut oil they caught me by surprise one day as looking lime green. This actually seriously freaked me out.

I should add that I am pescatarian, and although I had been eating a lot of high fat dairy, I reckon I was previously deficient in medium chain fatty acids.

Anyhow, I reckon I can continue to use those buttons as a pretty sensitive measure of my MCFA status!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by ATTAACK View Post
    I am by no means any sort of expert, but considering that it is the shape of the eyeball itself that contributes to poor eyesight, I don't see how diet could play any factor at all. In someone nearsighted, the cornea is more cone shaped and in PRK surgery this cone is flattened out to improve vision. In someone farsighted like me, the cornea is already flattened and there is no effective surgery at this date to make it more cone shaped. I know the PRK stuff is a little off topic, but the gist of my comment might be useful.
    I've read that the introduction of modern wheat in developing countries correlates with a marked rise in short-sightedness, whereas there is no correlation with an increase in reading (literacy).

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Wasn't there an Austrian doctor on here a while ago talking about natural vision correction? I ran across it once on a forum search, but don't remember enough to find it again.

Zanna is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Maybe if you have minor vision issues, something could help. I have a negative 8.5 refraction and nothing is bringing my vision back. I needed glasses at age 6-7 because it runs in the family. My glasses were so heavy that by age 12 the doctor recommended contacts. No dietary changes were going to keep me from needing them. My mom fed me a primal diet from the get-go; my vision issues are genetic. No amount or carrots or other dietary changes are bringing that back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast