Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best Overall Fitness strategy? page 2

tcoop2232 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    So, it appears variety and spontaneity are common trends here. I suppose I can add a little of my story here as well.

I lift myself usually around 3x a week through various venues (SimpleFit protocol, PBF, burpees, etc.)
    I will usually throw in a sprint workout 1x a week.
    I typically play a pick-up game of basketball at least 1x a week.
    Walking/hiking are staples for me when I have time.

Some weeks I go hit the squat rack or do some deadlifts at the gym. I will also add in some biking and swimming to spice things up. I really enjoy doing some bouldering on the climbing wall as well.

Overall, I have loved working out like this and I would never go back to the rudimentary style I have adhered to in the past. My workouts are now much more intense and a heck of a lot shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterbike View Post
    I've dabbled in a lot of stuff before, but right now it's agility agility agility. I want to move well. I want to move like a panther on a hunt.
    I love the panther metaphor.

The only downside is it's almost impossible for me to put on muscle without lifting weights. Because of it I might go back to olympic weightlifting some day, or indoor climbing.
    This is one thing I have noticed as well. I don't necessarily put on any (minimal) sort of mass doing this routine. I'm sure some people are looking to put on mass, but for me I can handle being lean and strong without the extra mass on my body.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest you strength train 2x a week using barbells hitting heavy compound movements, 1x a week sprints or conditioning specific to basketball, and 1x a week yoga at a studio (it seems to plug holes in my training with core, flexibility, offsets sitting all day int he office, etc). The rest of the days hike, practice basketball, walk, run a couple of miles, etc...

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoop2232 View Post
    I love the panther metaphor.
    Actually, it's a panther simile!
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

TTBlue21 is offline Senior Member
    tcoop...I wish I knew the answer or I probably wouldn't be on this forum.

In all seriousness. I understand you identified a few measurables for "fitness strategy" but I believe every person has their own definition of success. Ultimately I think you have to look at it as an equation and we all have the same variables: rest, sleep, sprinting, weight lifting, slow movements, stretching, polymetrics, body resistance, diet, water. Unfortunately we all have constraints as well: kids, social life, injuries, work, soreness, pain tolerance, sleeping problems, etc.

I think your “fitness strategy” depends upon your definition of success. I guess my point is to determine your exact goals. Based upon research create a plan that you think best mixes those variables that will help reach those goals. Determine the weighting, coefficient or effort you put forth to each variable based upon what your constraints allow.

Monitor your progress and if you are having issues reaching your goals, modify the importance or mixture of those variables.

Unless the constraints are too many, I think everyone can reach their goals: body weight, fat percentage, max lifts, etc. I think each person has their own formula but quit and become frustrated if they don’t see quick results and refuse to modify their plan.
    Last edited by TTBlue21; 12-05-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    I'll throw a punch for Parkour. No it's not a fitness protocol, nor was or is it supposed to be. But as have been stated, what's really important when it comes to having an allround fitness is having an allround habit of exercise- Parkour at its best involves carrying your own body weight over various obstacles, sprinting, endurance, swimming, climbing, leaping - pretty much everything you need. It improves eye-to-feet coordination, quick physical thinking, precise body control, being able to tell a distance, and many such other things that will be useful for when you want to pick up another sport and handle yourself decently.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalHunter View Post
    Actually, it's a panther simile!
    touche' !

Quote Originally Posted by TTBlue21 View Post
    tcoop...I wish I knew the answer or I probably wouldn't be on this forum.

In all seriousness. I understand you identified a few measurables for "fitness strategy" but I believe every person has their own definition of success. Ultimately I think you have to look at it as an equation and we all have the same variables: rest, sleep, sprinting, weight lifting, slow movements, stretching, polymetrics, body resistance, diet, water. Unfortunately we all have constraints as well: kids, social life, injuries, work, soreness, pain tolerance, sleeping problems, etc.

I think your “fitness strategy” depends upon your definition of success. I guess my point is to determine your exact goals. Based upon research create a plan that you think best mixes those variables that will help reach those goals. Determine the weighting, coefficient or effort you put forth to each variable based upon what your constraints allow.

Monitor your progress and if you are having issues reaching your goals, modify the importance or mixture of those variables.

Unless the constraints are too many, I think everyone can reach their goals: body weight, fat percentage, max lifts, etc. I think each person has their own formula but quit and become frustrated if they don’t see quick results and refuse to modify their plan.
    TTBlue21 - truly appreciate your insight here. I think all too often the "constraints" you mention are over-looked and left out of the equation. I think your idea of a "fitness strategy" is quite comprehensive, and the variables will vary on a person-to-person basis.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcoop2232 View Post
    So, it appears variety and spontaneity are common trends here. I suppose I can add a little of my story here as well.

I lift myself usually around 3x a week through various venues (SimpleFit protocol, PBF, burpees, etc.)
    I will usually throw in a sprint workout 1x a week.
    I typically play a pick-up game of basketball at least 1x a week.
    Walking/hiking are staples for me when I have time.

Some weeks I go hit the squat rack or do some deadlifts at the gym. I will also add in some biking and swimming to spice things up. I really enjoy doing some bouldering on the climbing wall as well.

Overall, I have loved working out like this and I would never go back to the rudimentary style I have adhered to in the past. My workouts are now much more intense and a heck of a lot shorter.
    In my opinion, your exercise is great and wonderful but it's more just exercise. It's more like enjoying the fruits of previous training. Your exercise program doesn't appear to actually be training you toward improvement. It's sort of a play around kind of thing. Nothing wrong with that at all since enjoying life is part of living a healthy life. But if you do have a goal to be the best or at least a better athlete than you are now, you may find after a while that what you are doing isn't moving you forward toward that goal but instead just holding you in place. You have to be challenging yourself consistently to move forward.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    In my opinion, your exercise is great and wonderful but it's more just exercise. It's more like enjoying the fruits of previous training. Your exercise program doesn't appear to actually be training you toward improvement. It's sort of a play around kind of thing. Nothing wrong with that at all since enjoying life is part of living a healthy life. But if you do have a goal to be the best or at least a better athlete than you are now, you may find after a while that what you are doing isn't moving you forward toward that goal but instead just holding you in place. You have to be challenging yourself consistently to move forward.
    Hi sbhikes - Thank you for pointing this out, as it has made me realize that I have left out one very important thing in the description of my current "training" strategy.

I consistently ensure I am improving and being challenged in whatever activity I am participating in. For example, doing more push-ups or moving from standard push-ups to plyometric push-ups, etc. The intensity of my workouts need to be challenging for any improvements, otherwise like you said, progress will stagnate and I will be treading water, per say.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast