Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Was Bob Costas Right? page 8

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The action of locking the door and turning off the light and just sitting there did nothing but create targets
    i did think when i read this it was a mighty strange thing to do. but then i think people also freeze and panic in these situations. i saw a doco years ago that was about how you could be predisposed to survive a tradgedy. they interviewed some survivors of a plane crash in england in the late 80s maybe 90s where a plane caught on fire on the runway and 100 odd people got burnt. apparently there were people going to the back of the plane to collect their luggage. the ones that survived got the hell out without hanging around. i have a gun and i know how hard it is to shoot a moving target. semi autos would skew that a bit in the shooter's favour as they can just keep shooting till the magazine is empty so less need to aim properly. still. it is prob worth us all teaching our kids what to do in this situation.

Him
    Him is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    "Regulated" -- that's clear. "Well" -- mean strongly regulated. Pretty.damn.clear.
    "The distinction between a well-regulated army and a mob is the good order and discipline of the first, and the licentious and disorderly behavior of the latter." --George Washington

Militia: civilians trained as soldiers but not part of the regular army

So the clear definition of a well regulated militia would be ordered, disciplined, NON-professional/civilian soldiers.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    "Regulated" -- that's clear. "Well" -- mean strongly regulated. Pretty.damn.clear.
    The only thing that's clear is you are arguing out of emotionalism. That fact is Lanza did not even use the bushmaster. He left it in the car. Banning ARs would not have changed anything. I gave a rational argument for using ARs as the rifle of choice for thinning feral hogs. Henry Repeaters are a poor substitute. Texas Parks and Wildlife est that 60-70% of the hog population has to be culled each year just to keep the number stable. What's your solution to states with feral hog problems?
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

So they shouldn't be "free to interact with society" but they should have access to guns?
    are you for real? do you think this nutball actually purchased the guns legally? how did he, like so many other nutballs before him, get the guns? he killed his mother and stole her guns. someone like him could never purchase guns legally. so you would plan to impose more stringent regulations on the sane people who want to own guns for hunting/recreation/self defense, but do nothing about the mentally ill and various other varieties of scumbag who commit crimes with illegal or stolen guns. THINK about it....

johnmjoy is offline Member
    The school is about seven miles as she flies from where I'm presently sitting. A friend of mine was there, and only made it out unharmed due to some quick thinking and a whole lot of luck.

I have ZERO patience for the proposal that we take a policy that left a very vulnerable population exposed to the first madman to make it through the door, whereupon TWENTY-SIX OF THEM DIED, and extrapolate it to another three hundred million people.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmjoy View Post
    The school is about seven miles as she flies from where I'm presently sitting. A friend of mine was there, and only made it out unharmed due to some quick thinking and a whole lot of luck.

I have ZERO patience for the proposal that we take a policy that left a very vulnerable population exposed to the first madman to make it through the door, whereupon TWENTY-SIX OF THEM DIED, and extrapolate it to another three hundred million people.
    what policy is that? the madman killed his mother and stole legally purchased guns. too bad your friend didn't have a pistol in his/her car, or the school didn't have a security guard. when lanza shot out the front door, the guard would have splattered his brains all over the sidewalk and that would have been the end of it. the guard would have been a hero, nobody at that school would have been hurt. can we talk about the real issue here, mental illness?

this is the real problem. this is what people are dealing with on a daily basis. kids like this are the adam lanzas of the world

'I Am Adam Lanza's Mother': A Mom's Perspective On The Mental Illness Conversation In America

johnmjoy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    what policy is that?
    The policy I'm referring to is the Tinkerbell fantasy called the GUN-FREE ZONE. Gee, if we just WISH REALLY REALLY HARD that there weren't bad people in the world, and just ban all the guns...

You are absolutely correct. Had SOMEONE responsible been armed that day... but that's illegal, doncha know.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmjoy View Post
    The policy I'm referring to is the Tinkerbell fantasy called the GUN-FREE ZONE. Gee, if we just WISH REALLY REALLY HARD that there weren't bad people in the world, and just ban all the guns...

You are absolutely correct. Had SOMEONE responsible been armed that day... but that's illegal, doncha know.
    i agree. the gun free zone stuff is nonsense. it clearly didn't stop lanza from bringing guns on to the school property. but it did stop the law-abiding citizens from doing so. i wonder if we're going to see schools hire private security/law enforcement from now on. kind of like how after 9/11, planes had plainclothes air marshalls, and allowed pilots to carry guns.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    There are schools in Texas allowing certain teachers, that want to, to carry. They must have trainning and a ccl. Which teacher that has the ccl is kept secret from other teachers and students. Only the principle knows who is carrying
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast