Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 98

Thread: Was Bob Costas Right? page 6

  1. #51
    primalrob's Avatar
    primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Manchester, NH
    Posts
    2,141
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity
    I'd just like to state that both pro-gun and anti-gun people are stupid assholes.
    definitely agree...though i know i'm usually considered anti-gun. i've been shooting since i was a kid (cop/hunter father); i'm just anti-murder.
    though, not on the rug, i disagree that people have to pick sides on issues. i think that happens most of the time, and it's easier for people to do that. i think most people are centrists at heart, but for debate/reporting/etc. purposes minor differences land people in the same group as extremist thinkers. so now we mostly fight about ideas rather than talk about them. for the past few years i've been trying to be someone who can keep the conversation going...off the internet, that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    its sad to me that the real issues of this situation (mental illness/bad parenting/etc) will be swept under the rug by some suit with an agenda trying to make it even harder for me to purchase a new hunting deer rifle, so that the streets can be so much safer. as it is in nj, anyone convicted of a domestic dispute can't purchase, anyone who has ever had a restraining order against them can't purchase, anyone guilty of an assault can't purchase, and anyone who has ever been an inpatient in a mental treatment facility can't purchase. background checks are done, fingerprinting is done, etc. i have no problem with any of that. but that can't stop a crazy person from stealing my guns, killing me and then using my guns against other people. as was the case in connecticut
    i've been hearing only whispers about mental health, but they seem to be getting louder. it's too bad; that part really needs to be talked about more.
    last i read, the only bill being proposed is a non-retroactive ban on assault weapons and big clips. i'm sure it will look a lot different by the time it actually get's discussed, but it seems pretty nonrestricitive right now. it's still not addressing the more important issue though.

  2. #52
    Scott F's Avatar
    Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    930
    Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i totally understand that reasoning, but that's the thing...evil people aren't deterred by guns.
    At one point here in Texas we seemed to be having a high rate of carjackings at gun point. There were people who got their car stolen while sitting at red light. Some of these victims were forced out of their car with a toddler in the back set. These carjackings were making the news at least weekly. Texas changed the law so that non-CCL citizens could keep a concealed handgun in their car. They couldn't take it out of the car without being licensed. The carjackings ended. I can't remember the last time I'd heard of one of these jackings on the news. Thieves can be deterred.


    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    they don't need to be deterred by the gun. they need to be shot by it. the death penalty doesn't deter lunatics from killing people. it kills them. eliminates them from the planet.

    this argument is so insane to me. this lunatic, just like countless other ones, was a criminal. he killed his mother, stole her guns and shot up a school. how would further regulating legal gun purchases stop something like this from happening? come on antis, let's hear it? so instead of his mother being a target shooter, lets just say she was a hunter. she owned shotguns and bolt action rifles instead of handguns and a semi automatic rifle. do shotguns and bolt action hunting rifles not kill kids as dead? the real issues has nothing to do with gun control laws.
    I hear you. Now reps are arguing again for a ban on "assault weapons". The excuse is that there is no reason for having one of these for hunting. Is that true? No. So if anyone makes a claim to the contrary here's the argument for why it isn't true. Since pictures are speak graphically......

    Farrel hogs are extremely damaging to farmers' crops. They pollute waterways with their wallowing. Hogs are a hazard to auto drivers (my daughter drove Farm to Market road to see her boy friend who live 50 miles away. I tried to impress upon her to be extremely cautious driving these roads at night because of the danger of hitting hogs and deer ): Texas pig problem: WIld hogs wandering out on nation's fastest highway,

    Here's some photos:
    Photos of Damage from Wild Pigs
    Feral Hogs Cause Millions In Damage

    Do feral hogs carry disease?
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...w7000_0195.pdf

    Packs of feral hogs can number in the dozens and reproduce almost like rabbits. The best firearm for thinning a hog population are semiautomatics. A bolt-action deer rifle isn't going to put much of a dent in a hog problem. You might get one as the all the rest of them scatter. Someone got the idea of hunting hogs with a helicopter using semiautos. It was so affective Texas changed the law to make it legal to hunt hogs from an aircraft. It actually created a guided hunt industry. Hunting from a helicopter video hunt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJRHKwGZ0KY
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

  3. #53
    johnmjoy's Avatar
    johnmjoy is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oxford, Connecticut, US
    Posts
    60
    Never mind the feral hogs - what about the feral people? Ask any of the victims of the LA riots, or the recent spate of "flash mobs" if having a large capacity magazine would have come in handy (assuming the victim is still alive).

  4. #54
    cori93437's Avatar
    cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    central FL
    Posts
    6,949
    Was Bob Costas Right?

    No.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.


  5. #55
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    I hear you. Now reps are arguing again for a ban on "assault weapons". The excuse is that there is no reason for having one of these for hunting. Is that true? No. So if anyone makes a claim to the contrary here's the argument for why it isn't true. Since pictures are speak graphically......
    nice work on the feral hog argument

    the issue with "assault rifles" is just that. there are no such thing as publicly available assault rifles. fully automatic and burts-firing weapons are illegal. they dimwits are talking about semi automatic rifles that look like, and are often manufactured by the makers of actual assault weapons. but they are semi automatic. just like many shotguns and countless other rifles you can buy. take for example the marlin model 60. a 22 caliber rifle that holds 15 rounds and is semi automatic. perfectly legal. but because it looks like grandpa's rifle and not a "machine gun" this rifle is apparently harmless. oh, and btw, the marlin model 60 is the most popolar 22 in the world. or how about the remington model 1100? one of the most time tested and popular semi-automatic shotguns on the market. excellent for waterfowl hunting or competition shooting. looks like a gun my grandfather would carry. but because these "assault rifles" are chambered in a different caliber and dressed up with some lightweight composite materials, they are inherently more dangerous that the marlin model 60? this is the twisted logic the anti's try to force feed the ignorant sheeple in our society.
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  6. #56
    not on the rug's Avatar
    not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    definitely agree...though i know i'm usually considered anti-gun. i've been shooting since i was a kid (cop/hunter father); i'm just anti-murder.

    i've been hearing only whispers about mental health, but they seem to be getting louder. it's too bad; that part really needs to be talked about more.
    last i read, the only bill being proposed is a non-retroactive ban on assault weapons and big clips. i'm sure it will look a lot different by the time it actually get's discussed, but it seems pretty nonrestricitive right now. it's still not addressing the more important issue though.
    i would hope that we all are anti-murder. the facts are sad though. people have been killing people since day one. whether it was bashing someone's head in with a rock, sticking them with a spear, or slashing them with a sword. it isn't the gun/sword/spear, etc. its the person. more specifically the mentally ill person. how many people die in automobile accidents every day? how about due to drunk driving? we don't ban cars or alcohol. if these lunatics want to hurt people, they will. how about the guy in china who stabbed 20 kids out front of a school the other day. do we now ban knives in china? we can't fall in to/be sucked in to the mentality that guns are bad. gus aren't anything. they are guns.

    as a police officer, i'm sure you carry while off duty. in fact,i'd be shocked if you didn't. i'm sure you also keep guns in your home. why? why would you need to carry off duty? if you are done with work, lock the gun up and trust in the on-duty officers to protect you and your family. i'm not chalenging you directly with these thoughts, but more challenging others to see the truth.

    i just want to inject a little logic, via pictures.





    they are all great. the last one in particular shows the utmost in heroism and common sense. the principal, retrieved a gun from his car and held the suspect at gunpoint until the police arrived. the suspect was attempting to leave in order to drive to another school to kill more students. now why hav none of us ever heard of this particular situation? how is this not being pasted all over the news following the recent incident in CT?
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

    Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

  7. #57
    Scott F's Avatar
    Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    930
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

  8. #58
    Rojo's Avatar
    Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    772
    Would stricter gun laws stop all the school massacres? No. Would they reduce the carnage? Yes.

  9. #59
    Primal Moose's Avatar
    Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    373
    Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Would stricter gun laws stop all the school massacres? No. Would they reduce the carnage? Yes.
    Would stricter gun laws stop all the school massacres? No.

    Would they reduce the carnage? Don't see how.

    Would making sure people with mental health issues receive care reduce mass shooting incidents? Probably.

    Would revising current emergency plans in schools so that teachers have kids evacuate, even through windows and such, instead of just turning off the lights and sheltering in place like good little targets reduce the carnage? Yes.

  10. #60
    Primal Moose's Avatar
    Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    373
    I'll never understand the whole shelter in place bullshit. You have an active shooter trying to kill you. YOU. GET. THE. FUCK. OUT!

    It's a miracle that more kids weren't killed. Had this guy's blood lust not been filled with those twenty kids, he had classroom after classroom of targets for him to kill. They were lucky. LUCKY! That he kid himself. In my opinion, every single administrator that puts "shelter in place " plans into effect needs to lose their job. I'm sorry, but locking the door, turning off the lights, and lining up against the wall like good little Nazi targets his the worst thing you could do. The administrators need to be fired and the teachers should be smacked across the face for listening.

    Active shooter? Get the fuck out, don't be this:
    67965-004-A21AAE62.jpg

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •