Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Was Bob Costas Right? page 10

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    On the mental health side, there is a problem with the system. My MIL is a paranoid schitzophrenic (sp?), it took 6 months and 5 police officers, and a 5150 form to get her into a mental hospital. Turns out that "she has rights". The fact that there were 6 other people in the house (including 2 small children), seem to be a moot point, because "she has rights". In fact, I was told by one of the officers that I should take me and the children out of the house, because "she has rights".

Even with the mental hospital, "she has rights", so she decided if she should take her meds (she didn't), she had to give permission for her husband to find out what the Dr.s are diagnosing. It turns out because "she has rights" along with every other mental patient, that the inmates are running the asylum.

Funny, the police had no problem telling me that if she took a swing at the officers, that they would cart her to jail, where are her rights then? She took a swing at me, but since my rights aren't that important, it also became a moot point.

Laws are in place to keep honest people honest. Those who can't make a rational decision, or those who choose not to follow the laws/rules of society seem to have all the "rights".

It she had access to a gun, she just might have used it. Mainly to shoot her husband (he was sure a some point that she would stick a knife in his chest while he was sleeping), possibly me, since her paranoia made me an enemy.

We have guns. We keep them locked up. We teach our children respect for firearms. My Littles know by heart that if they see a gun to: "Stop, don't touch, leave the area, tell an adult". They are 3 and 5.

The Sandy Hook shooting was horrible. A law abiding citizen wouldn't have done it. That Adam guy had issues, and if they would have come out, his parents and loved ones would have been hard pressed to get him help. That's the problem of mental illness, it's all in their heads. If they do lash out, how are they going to do it? I lived in San Diego when the guy shot up a McDonald's in San Ysidro years ago. Why McDonald's? Why shoot up a movie theater in Colorado? Why shoot up a school? There are no answers as to why, because the only ones who know are the crazies doing the shooting.

Restricting the rights of those who respect the law and society is not the answer. I wish I had the answer that would stop this kind of nonsense in the future.

OK, off my soapbox.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Getting tired of the hate speech directed at gun owners though.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott F View Post
    The current debate is getting out of control and focusing on magazines and banning xyz instead of focusing on the real issues that matter in relation to the debate.
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Random psycho murder sprees will never, ever be as dangerous as the CIA, the military, the DEA, NATO, etc.

If we're going to institute gun control, why don't we start with those assholes? Talk about inmates running the asylum...

Why is it that when arab women get gangraped by U.S. soldiers, it's just collateral damage, but when a psychotic gets ahold of a gun, it sparks a nationwide debate?
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

mpieciak18 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    Random psycho murder sprees will never, ever be as dangerous as the CIA, the military, the DEA, NATO, etc.

If we're going to institute gun control, why don't we start with those assholes? Talk about inmates running the asylum...

Why is it that when arab women get gangraped by U.S. soldiers, it's just collateral damage, but when a psychotic gets ahold of a gun, it sparks a nationwide debate?
    Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but this guy's comment trumps all.

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    this just doesn't make sense to me. how is it that if everybody has a gun, the evil people are automatically going to stop being evil?
    Actually, I tend to agree with Joanie. Not in the NRA's "an armed society is a polite society" schtick, but that badguys are going to have guns no matter what, why keep good guys from having them too? Are they dangerous? Absolutely. Do the scare the shit out of me? Absolutely.

Are guns good for society? Probably not. But I think that forbidding them is worse for society. The life you save just may be your own. I'm a dual citizen. In my "other" country, pretty much every family has a gun. There are usually about 120 or 130 murders a year, including mob violence and terrorism. Most of the murders, granted (except in bad terrorism years), are a wife shooting her husband for cheating on her (or something like that). My point, however, is that you can have an armed society which isn't disfunctional (in that way) and where there isn't alot of gun violence. The problem doesn't seem to be the guns, but the greater issues of society.

Even if we tried to deny people guns, nuts would make pipe bombs, etc.

--Me

boomingno is offline Member
    I cannot remember where I found the article where I read this... but in response to some of the discussion of how Australia instituted harsher gun control in response to a mass shooting and hasn't had one since, it was observed that Australia has a similar gun ownership rate to... Mexico. (not counting all of those fully automatic assault rifles our fine government was sending the drug cartels, of course!)

Now, being that I cannot find the actual article I was reading this from that could very well be false. But I think the point, which I agree with, was that when it comes to gun control and gun violence, there are countries with lots of both, and countries with little. Who can say that it would or would not work here? And if it does not work, who will stop to think about all of the people, however many there may be, who will be killed, or raped, or robbed, who might otherwise have chosen to defend themselves? Will they be compensated? Does this 'society' that everyone is wailing about guns being so harmful to even care?

Maybe in the future society will cut a check to my loved ones if I am murdered, but in the meantime, I choose to defend myself.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910