Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Wheat is the devil page 14

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Cows eat grass, yes. Grass is NOT wheat in this context however. Therefore, if consuming grass-fed meats, then yes, you are consuming grass (in a roundabout way), but not "cereal grasses."

If cows are eating their natural diet, then yes, their flesh is "grass" but it is not wheat, corn, or other "cereal grasses."

DetroitRemedy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Cows eat grass, yes. Grass is NOT wheat in this context however. Therefore, if consuming grass-fed meats, then yes, you are consuming grass (in a roundabout way), but not "cereal grasses."

If cows are eating their natural diet, then yes, their flesh is "grass" but it is not wheat, corn, or other "cereal grasses."
    Whats wrong with cereal grasses?? do you not understand them?
    Every Known Nutrient to Sustain Life
    Unbelievably, cereal grasses contain every known vitamin, mineral, amino acid, and enzyme necessary to sustain life. Grasses are a complete food. Grasses dissolve, then absorb minerals from rock and soil, converting the minerals into a form easy for humans to absorb. Because they contain a broad array of fully bio-available, naturally occurring minerals, especially calcium and magnesium, they help keep the body alkaline. This is a great antidote to America’s typical high-protein, high acid-ash diet. Alkalinizing the body helps to protect against poor health conditions -- the result of a body that has become too acidic.

Cereal grasses are also a rich source of chlorophyll, called the great detoxifier, which helps support normal blood purification. Grasses also contain a large array of phytonutrients and antioxidants, with more vitamin C than oranges, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach and more betacarotene than carrots. No wonder grasses are many times more protective than the well-known vitamins C and E.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    So what you're saying is, we should all go out to pasture and start eating some grass and all will be well?

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    The problem with cereal grains their nutrition levels are very low. If you look at this study The importance of promoting a whole grain foo... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI The Importance of Promoting a Whole Grain Foods Message presented as part of the grains for health symposium or some such
    "Whole grains deliver a unique nutrient package. Rich in phytonutrients, whole grains contain vitamins and minerals, unsaturated fatty acids, tocotrienols, tocopherols, insoluble fiber, phytosterols, stanols, sphingolipids, phytates, lignans, and antioxidants like phenolic acids [11] (Fig. 1). The average antioxidant activity in whole grain cereals and whole grain breads is at a level similar to that of fruits and vegetables, on a per serving (Table 1) or a 100 gm basis."

They want to compare 100g serving of eat the problem is on a per calorie basis they fail.
    100g of bulgar wheat = 360 cal
    100g of tomato = 18 cal
    100g of broccoli = 35 calories

Looking at those sorts of number veg is 10-20 more nutritious than grains....and we have not started with animal protein yet.
    They may have a complete complement (ish) but you could never eat enough.

In addition 100 g of sugar has 387 cal ...only 27 more than bulgar wheat.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    So what you're saying is, we should all go out to pasture and start eating some grass and all will be well?
    Obviously...what you didn't invest in the extra stomach plan with ruminants upgrade when God asked you? Pfft....read Genesis 6.16....Though shalt upgrade thy digestive track on a lay away plan for six good deeds and a bottle of wine.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.

I'm not knocking grasses in general. I eat plenty of animals raised exclusively on them (or the byproducts of them).

My beef (pun intended) is specifically relating to "cereal grasses" which are all grains. Feeding animals (including humans) a diet of these types of "grasses" is simply not natural. I understand them just fine. I also understand the "risks" of not eating "cereal grasses" and believe the benefits of not consuming them to be greater than any potential issues.

I understand that you have decided to consume them, and that's fine. I would never tell you not to. Your diet isn't my place to pass judgement.

But I would hope you wouldn't try to force your opinions on me either. Just as your diet isn't my place, neither is my diet yours.

We can debate the merits of consuming or not consuming such substances, but let us never ascend the pedestal of a dietary preacher.

Quote Originally Posted by MarissaLinnea View Post
    Im saying grasses are better than grains.
    wheatgrass and barley grass are: the young grasses of fully-sprouted wheat and barley grains that have not yet matured enough to form grains of their own. That why cows choose grass over grains, nutrionally speaking they are better.
    sprouting makes digestion easier and mineral content higher.
    raw soaked and sprouted nuts and seeds are better too.

[QUOTE=Drumroll;1025129]I'm not knocking grasses in general. I eat plenty of animals raised exclusively on them (or the byproducts of them).

like i always say its just friendly.
    I just think different about consuming byproducts or derivatives. <<fish oil omega 3 is a derivative(epa dha), the parent form is from Flax Oil is ALA ... The human body normally converts ALA to the longer chain fatty acids EPA and DHA if needed.
    Where do you think the cow got its nutrition to build strong bones, from the grass it ate.
    Baby calves are weaned off milk and eat grass to grow. not grains, they wont eat them unless they are gonna starve.
    you eat 3 grams of wheat grass to get 15 mg of calcium
    you have to eat 150 grams of beef to get 15 grams of calcium.
    Im just throwing that out there. Im not trying to force anything just discussing my beliefs.
    PROS TO BOTH
    Many plant-based proteins, are easier for the body to digest than meat proteins.(raw)
    Vegetable proteins are lower overall in fat, cholesterol, and calories.
    Plant-based proteins generally have more vitamins, minerals, and nutrients than animal proteins do.

Most sources of animal protein are complete proteins, so they provide the body with all essential amino acids.
    You need to eat only a small serving of meat to take in a large amount of protein.
    Meat protein is widely available, economical, and more commonly eaten.
    Vitamin B-12 is almost exclusively available in animal-based proteins.
    CONS TO BOTH

Many sources of animal protein are high in saturated fat and cholesterol, which can increase an individual's risk of developing high blood pressure and other serious diseases.
    Animal proteins tend to be significantly higher in calories than vegetable proteins.
    Besides high protein contents, many animal proteins have weaker nutritional profiles than plant-based proteins.

Some vegetable proteins are more expensive and harder to find than meat proteins.
    Most vegetable proteins don't offer as many protein grams per ounce as meat proteins.
    It can be difficult to get enough vitamin B-12, especially for vegans, from solely plant-based proteins.

they BOTH are great in my book (BALANCE)(MODERATION)
    WELL THATS If the soil has the nutrients, sick soil causes sick plants, which causes sick animals, which causes sick human beings.

Its been great chatting, gotta to go, nice chatting with all have a great night.

Don't even get me started on flax.

I'll just say I choose not to consume flax due to being one of the highest phytoestrogens containing plants, possibly even surpassing soy in that regards and it turns rancid almost immediately if cooked. And yes, the body can convert SOME ALA into the bio available forms needed by humans, but this is relatively low and not nearly equal to the amount of ALA actually in the flax seed. Conversion of ALA to DHA and EPA is not 1:1. So you can't say that if you consume a gram of ALA you've consumed a gram of omega-3. You haven't, because your body won't convert all of it. The conversion process is relatively inefficient which is why fish, krill, and even some phytoplankton/algae oils are better omega-3 sources. Your body can immediately use those omega-3s as no conversion is necessary.

And even if plant proteins are easier to digest, you'd have to eat so much bulk from them to even get a decent amount of protein that this would be hard, if not simply impractical for most humans.

The saturated fat connection is weak at best, and I believe that due to its decreased tendency to oxidize both while cooking and inside the human body, the reduction of free radicals that cause damage is a great boon to cardiovascular and organ health as well as reduces stress and inflammation on the body over the long term. This is a wonderful benefit to saturated fats that often gets ignored and may override any potential "risks" to consuming them.

Fat is pretty dang saturating in my experience that I am ironically, more likely to over-consume on an all veggie diet than I am when I include copious amounts of healthy fats, largely from healthy oils and animal sources.

Anyhow, that's my two cents on the issue.

Eat how you want. I eat tons of plants in my diet too! But I don't agree with a lot of your statements.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast