Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sick People page 5

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by texas.grok View Post

George Carlin said it the best. And this is George, he uses bad words, don't complain.
    I had seen it before but watched it again. Brilliant, Carlin was such a genius! (you can't beat British comedians in my opinion, but Carlin is great)

Agree with the sentiments above. Even before going primal I almost never got ill, which I attribute to a strong immune system that is regularly exposed and well trained.
    Last edited by FlyingPig; 12-12-2012 at 11:26 AM.

valmason01 is online now Senior Member
    I have cut out grains and sugars and I am sick all the time. I work with kids in a public school but even before this I was sick. It sucks and I hate it. I am a firm believer in staying home and away from others when sick but there comes a moment when you just can't and still have a job. If I were perfect (or rich) I would make the right choice but as it is I do what I can do and keep on going.
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    I'm shocked - or perhaps I'm just being naiive. I'm obviously very lucky - 25 days holiday, 9 bank holidays (UK) and a boss who believes that if you're sick you should rest until you're better. He also promotes a very healthy workplace - every member of staff without exception is physically active, and we're all treated well. As a result there are very few sick days - I've had 3.5 days this year, a few weeks ago when I had an exceptionally painful tooth abscess.
    The job I have now gives me 10 days paid vacation days, 11 holidays and about 1 sick day per month (so 12 or so per year). But that's working a union job for a huge monopoly, and we really use them because the job is very physical and we're not in an office, so no bathrooms unless you head to the nearest McDonald's or a park. Once I start working for myself, I'll have no paid vacation, holidays or sick days. But I'll also have a life again.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    The job I have now gives me 10 days paid vacation days, 11 holidays and about 1 sick day per month (so 12 or so per year). But that's working a union job for a huge monopoly, and we really use them because the job is very physical and we're not in an office, so no bathrooms unless you head to the nearest McDonald's or a park. Once I start working for myself, I'll have no paid vacation, holidays or sick days. But I'll also have a life again.
    So what happens if you're genuinely sick for more than 1 day a month?

In the UK we generally have an upper limit for the number of sick days per year that are fully paid, after that you go onto Statutory Sick Pay at the employer's discretion, but most employers are generally very sympathetic as long as they're confident the employee is genuinely sick.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    You don't get paid, and if it goes on too long, you might be fired.
    Two faces are appropriate for this:
    Some hand gestures, too.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    So what happens if you're genuinely sick for more than 1 day a month?

In the UK we generally have an upper limit for the number of sick days per year that are fully paid, after that you go onto Statutory Sick Pay at the employer's discretion, but most employers are generally very sympathetic as long as they're confident the employee is genuinely sick.
    It's dfferent everywhere, but where I work we earn them as we go, so if I'm not sick in January or February, then I have 3 days to use by the time I get sick in March. Or I can take an unpaid day off if I'm really sick and haven't banked any days in prior months.

One year, I had more than the usualy doctor appointments (ultrasounds, etc) and had to take 2 more days off for a core biopsy, so I filed for FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) which didn't guarantee that I would get paid for days off, but did protect me from any disciplinary action (write-ups or firing) due to my absences for medical issues. It required an exam and a form filled out and signed by my doctor, and it still limited the number of days I could take, depending on the specific problem, but it was a big help.

If you're going to be out for a longer time, you would probably end up applying for short or long term disability, which isn't full pay, but it helps pay the bills.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345