Thread: Need Protein Supplement Suggestions page

mgage is offline Junior Member

Need Protein Supplement Suggestions

I've been using Whey Isolate to help me reach my daily protein goals, especially on lifting days. Unfortunately, my digestion has been a complete mess since I added it to my diet and I'm pretty sure that's the cause. I never take the shake by itself - always after some food - but that doesn't seem to help. It's cheap stuff from Wal-Mart and probably has a lot of additives, so I thought a higher quality option might still work. I'm wondering if anyone else had digestive issues and then found a whey concentrate or isolate that didn't wreak havoc.

Side note: I know the best option is to get protein from real food, but there are a variety of reasons why I'd like to stick with a shake if at all possible.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    gelatin is the only protein "powder" you should ever use
    nihil

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    EGGS...shoot em Rocky style. No mess no fuss! Oh, but don't get crap from Walmart for this one....your gonna want some farm fresh pastured eggs

That said I'd think it might be the additives in the cheap crap. Whey itself really should be relatively easy on your digestive system, and the isolate is about as refined as it gets for fastest absorption.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    You can get egg white protein powder, I think. You could always try those little sample packs of a few types to see if it's the additives or the base (whey vs. eggs etc.) that's the problem.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You can get egg white protein powder, I think. You could always try those little sample packs of a few types to see if it's the additives or the base (whey vs. eggs etc.) that's the problem.
    egg albumin is rich in tryptophan, and also very effective at binding to biotin. it's even worse in powder form because it's oxidized.

seriously, protein powders are marketing bs so i'm wondering what the variety of reasons are. if it's just convenience, milk is just as convenient and far better for you.
    nihil

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    You say that like tryptophan is a bad thing.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    You say that like tryptophan is a bad thing.
    lol...
    nihil

feren6 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mgage View Post
    I've been using Whey Isolate to help me reach my daily protein goals, especially on lifting days. Unfortunately, my digestion has been a complete mess since I added it to my diet and I'm pretty sure that's the cause. I never take the shake by itself - always after some food - but that doesn't seem to help. It's cheap stuff from Wal-Mart and probably has a lot of additives, so I thought a higher quality option might still work. I'm wondering if anyone else had digestive issues and then found a whey concentrate or isolate that didn't wreak havoc.

Side note: I know the best option is to get protein from real food, but there are a variety of reasons why I'd like to stick with a shake if at all possible.
    Protein powders are great, especially if you're trying to bulk up and can't eat all of your calories. If you aren't trying to put on muscle, I highly suggest eating real food -- it'll keep you full longer.

But, if you do want protein powder, I've found it necessary to get high quality stuff. I currently am using the Gold Standard Whey, but it makes me feel like crap. I get a lot of stomach discomfort and some pretty bad gas..so I don't use it anymore.

I used the grass-fed whey protein powder by Bulletproof before, but I discontinued using it due to the price. It's awesome..and I had no problems with it. If you only use it occasionally, I say go for it. Here's the link: Upgraded Whey

I've also used the one from Swanson Vitamins, which is less costly and I had no problems with that either (Swanson Ultra Grass-Fed, Certified rBGH-Free Vanilla Whey Protein Powder 420 grams (14.8 oz) Pwdr - Swanson Health Products)

Just stay away from the typical protein powders that you'd see at stores, and listen to your body.

mgage is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by feren6 View Post
    Protein powders are great, especially if you're trying to bulk up and can't eat all of your calories. If you aren't trying to put on muscle, I highly suggest eating real food -- it'll keep you full longer.

But, if you do want protein powder, I've found it necessary to get high quality stuff. I currently am using the Gold Standard Whey, but it makes me feel like crap. I get a lot of stomach discomfort and some pretty bad gas..so I don't use it anymore.

I used the grass-fed whey protein powder by Bulletproof before, but I discontinued using it due to the price. It's awesome..and I had no problems with it. If you only use it occasionally, I say go for it. Here's the link: Upgraded Whey

I've also used the one from Swanson Vitamins, which is less costly and I had no problems with that either (Swanson Ultra Grass-Fed, Certified rBGH-Free Vanilla Whey Protein Powder 420 grams (14.8 oz) Pwdr - Swanson Health Products)

Just stay away from the typical protein powders that you'd see at stores, and listen to your body.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I've heard good things about Swanson's before and the price seems really reasonable.