Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Optimal Carb Intake? page 2

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yup, do what works for you. Just don't feel bullied either way. However, your not going to feel bad eating a sweet potato after a long period of low carb due to "insulin resistance". Now you might actually have some physiological and beneficial muscular resistance which is a normal and healthy part of low carb, but that tends to go away almost as soon as you reintroduce carbs (a couple days max). If you wanna attribute any problems with reintroduction you could go with the gut biome not being acclimated to the starch load coming in. That actually may take a little bit of time to get use to. The physiological insulin resistance is transient and quickly changed over by the body when carbs are ingested. This is fairly recent from Mark http://www.marksdailyapple.com/does-...#axzz2E71GKCKg
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.

PrimalGains is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the various advice, I think the "experiment and see what works for you in the real world" is the best way to go. The x-fit session on Tuesday is more of metabolic circuits (rather than full blown x-fit), and the low intensity exercise on Wednesday is there for active recovery/aerobic capacity.

I'm thinking to stick with a "reasonable" carb load after the two heavy weight sessions (i.e. 200g), and then a lower 100g after x-fit and LISS. I did enjoy Leangains style refeeds, but the sheer quantity of carbs (350-400g) in one sitting, can be quite uncomfortable into the next day if consumed at night (all my workouts are in the eve) - especially with just primal whole foods (i.e. over 1lb sweet potatoes/rice).

I still IF (16/8), consuming plenty of fats across meals, and I'll be eating fruit daily to supplement carb intake (free fruit boxes at work ).

wendita38 is offline Junior Member

Optimal Carb Intake

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have read this thread and wanted to add my thoughts as someone who has studied the research on both Paleo and Low carb.

1. My ancestors are from a cold weather climate as are many others who will read this bulletin board. You mentioned that our ancestors thrived on a high carbohydrate diet primarily that was low in fat, but it is my understanding that humans ate much more fat than you might think because brains and other organ meats tend to be high in fat even when animals are lean. I personally run better on fats. My genetics combined with the poor sources of carbs in the American diet have made me very sugar/carb sensitive.

Please provide a reference showing that low carbohydrate dieting makes you insulin resistant. It is my understanding that eating a low carb diet improves insulin resistance and it certainly has for me, particularly since I now keep my protein intake to average levels rather than overdoing it. Once an exerciser is keto adapted, by following a low carb regime they use ketones as the primary fuel for exercise and don't need nearly as many carbohydrates in the diet.

Everyone is different, but I recommend if you are going as high as 400-600 gm of carbs per day that you monitor your post meal blood sugar levels for a while as well as your fasting blood sugar to determine the impact this has. There is a reason Mark Sisson recommends 150 gm or less, even for athletes. You may want to check out The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Volek and Phinney for recent scientific research on the topic.

Amazon.com: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (9780983490715): Jeff S. Volek, Stephen D. Phinney: Books

Not looking to be confrontational here, just looking to share a different viewpoint based on science and my own personal experience.

Wendy Schwartz
    wendy@gopaleo.com
    @go_paleo
    Blog - Go Paleo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12