Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butter or coconut fat

Hybrid View

Natureman Guest

Butter or coconut fat

I think I need to get more fat in my diet because I am craving bread and other processed carbs and I read that could be because one is not getting enough fat in their diet. So, what would be better...butter or coconut fat found in the jars at Whole Foods??

Thanks.

They are both good, but if you are able to get pasture butter, that probably packs a bigger nutritional punch than coconut oil. On the other hand, CO has it's own benefits as well. Personally I use both and just use whatever I happen to be in the mood for at that time.

Both, though butter tastes infinitely better than coconut oil.
    Make America Great Again

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Both, though butter tastes infinitely better than coconut oil.
    I like both too but I find my sense of which tastes better changes. Sometimes I am craving one and sometimes the other. Then there are some times that one or the other just doesn't appeal at all. It would be interesting to explore the biochemical mechanisms behind those changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I like both too but I find my sense of which tastes better changes. Sometimes I am craving one and sometimes the other. Then there are some times that one or the other just doesn't appeal at all. It would be interesting to explore the biochemical mechanisms behind those changes.
    What sort of coconut oil do you use? I don't get any allergic reactions from extra virgin, so I've just been using that because it's a lot cheaper at Trader Joe's. If there are some superior tasting coconut oils out there, I'm all for a change though.
    Make America Great Again

Paleobird Guest
    What sort of coconut oil do you use? I don't get any allergic reactions from extra virgin, so I've just been using that because it's a lot cheaper at Trader Joe's. If there are some superior tasting coconut oils out there, I'm all for a change though.
    I use Nutiva brand which I find at Sprouts or Whole Paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I use Nutiva brand which I find at Sprouts or Whole Paycheck.
    Get on Nutiva's website. They run some really good deals from time to time and typically send out an email once a week with a combo package. Last weeks was 1/2gal of EVCO and some coconut manna, hemp and chia seeds for like $50 or something, free shipping to boot.
    Male, 32y, 6'0" tall
    SW 306lbs (6/1/12)
    CW 244lbs (1/17/13)

BP down from 120/80 to 110/74

Both are great. For butter, we around the MDA forums love our Kerrygold! It's pastured butter so plus to that!

Coconut oil is, in my opinion, a little easier to use on the fly than butter is and it is my go-to cooking fat now. You also don't have to worry about it being pastured.

Also, to get more fat, make sure to include olive oil as well, but not for cooking. Use good quality olive oil for your salad dressings, to top steamed veggies, for dips, and other similar uses.

If you tollerate dairy, you might try cream-based sauces and dips as well.

Yeah, Kerrygold is pretty good. It's super cheap too. I prefer raw butter myself, but it doesn't really matter.

I only really like coconut oil in my coffee, otherwise it leaves this weird aftertaste that really bothers me.
    Make America Great Again

Yeah, Kerrygold is pretty good. It's super cheap too. I prefer raw butter myself, but it doesn't really matter.

I only really like coconut oil in my coffee, otherwise it leaves this weird aftertaste that really bothers me.
    For me personally, it depends on what I'm cooking.

Grass-fed steak cooked to a perfect medium rare, seared in a pan with a nice pat of grass-fed butter? Hell yes.

Awesome primal omelette done in a tablespoon of coconut oil? Damn right!

Sauted veggies cooked in coconut oil? Oh yeah.

Steamed veggies with a nice pat of butter on top? Yeah, you bet!