Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butter or coconut fat page

Natureman Guest

Butter or coconut fat

Shop Now
    I think I need to get more fat in my diet because I am craving bread and other processed carbs and I read that could be because one is not getting enough fat in their diet. So, what would be better...butter or coconut fat found in the jars at Whole Foods??

Thanks.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    They are both good, but if you are able to get pasture butter, that probably packs a bigger nutritional punch than coconut oil. On the other hand, CO has it's own benefits as well. Personally I use both and just use whatever I happen to be in the mood for at that time.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Both, though butter tastes infinitely better than coconut oil.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Both are great. For butter, we around the MDA forums love our Kerrygold! It's pastured butter so plus to that!

Coconut oil is, in my opinion, a little easier to use on the fly than butter is and it is my go-to cooking fat now. You also don't have to worry about it being pastured.

Also, to get more fat, make sure to include olive oil as well, but not for cooking. Use good quality olive oil for your salad dressings, to top steamed veggies, for dips, and other similar uses.

If you tollerate dairy, you might try cream-based sauces and dips as well.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, Kerrygold is pretty good. It's super cheap too. I prefer raw butter myself, but it doesn't really matter.

I only really like coconut oil in my coffee, otherwise it leaves this weird aftertaste that really bothers me.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I use both but it really depends on what I'm making. Lately I prefer grass fed butter over coconut oil. Everything just taste better with butter.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Yeah, Kerrygold is pretty good. It's super cheap too. I prefer raw butter myself, but it doesn't really matter.

I only really like coconut oil in my coffee, otherwise it leaves this weird aftertaste that really bothers me.
    For me personally, it depends on what I'm cooking.

Grass-fed steak cooked to a perfect medium rare, seared in a pan with a nice pat of grass-fed butter? Hell yes.

Awesome primal omelette done in a tablespoon of coconut oil? Damn right!

Sauted veggies cooked in coconut oil? Oh yeah.

Steamed veggies with a nice pat of butter on top? Yeah, you bet!

katemary is offline Senior Member
    or if that is a big leap, why not have coconut milk in your coffee or heavy cream/greek yoghurt and berries for a meal?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It depends on your tastes and how you plan to use it in cooking and eating. Some people dislike the flavor that coconut oil gives to food, whereas butter in cooking is almost universally loved. As far as health benefits go, coconut oil contains more medium chain triglycerides (MCTs), and some people avoid butter if they're sensitive to dairy, even if butter contains little lactose.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Both, though butter tastes infinitely better than coconut oil.
    I like both too but I find my sense of which tastes better changes. Sometimes I am craving one and sometimes the other. Then there are some times that one or the other just doesn't appeal at all. It would be interesting to explore the biochemical mechanisms behind those changes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast