Thread: Trekking in Nepal - How to Prepare for the Rice and Potatoes Everyday! page

jey
    jey is offline Junior Member

Trekking in Nepal - How to Prepare for the Rice and Potatoes Everyday!

Primal Fuel
    I am planning on trekking to the base camp of Mount Everest next Fall and have already started to do some research regarding the typical foods I can expect to be eating everyday in Nepal during my month-long trek.

It appears 90% of the food available will mainly be rice or potatoes, in one form or another, with some various veggies thrown in depending on availability and perhaps the odd egg once in awhile along the way.

Question - since I am now living Primal/low-carb and hardly ever touch rice or potatoes would it be wise to slowly re-introduce them back into my diet the month or two leading up to my trip so my body doesn't get the "shock value" of going from hardly ever eating them to all of a sudden eating (and depending on) them for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday for a month?

Or... remain Primal right up to the day I leave and avoid the potatoes and rice, like I have been doing for the past year now and worry about the sudden change to my diet once I get there? Then hoping I adjust accordingly, as I won't have much of a choice and will need to eat what is available to me along the way.

My goal is to make the month long trek to Base Camp while reducing my risk of getting sick, losing energy and/or my body turning on me with the sudden change to all the rice and potatoes (carbs) for needed energy and not the meat and fats I am used to!

Obviously I know that I won't keel over from, all of a sudden, mainly eating rice and pototoes for a month but I would just apprecaite any input or thoughts to make the transition as easy as possible on my body.

Thanks!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I eat potatoes and rice sometimes and consider myself primal. Although I guess I'm more of a 'Perfect Health Diet' person.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Order the yak whenever you can. It's really good. Otherwise, eat the dal bhat with the potatoes and spinach. It's the best thing on the menu. Going to Nepal is 100000 times more important than eating a low carb diet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jey View Post

Question - since I am now living Primal/low-carb and hardly ever touch rice or potatoes would it be wise to slowly re-introduce them back into my diet the month or two leading up to my trip so my body doesn't get the "shock value" of going from hardly ever eating them to all of a sudden eating (and depending on) them for breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday for a month?
    !
    Yes definitely. I took me about a week to adapt to starch when I started eating it. It felt like it went straight through me the first time I ate potatoes.
    Make sure they are cooked well too.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Yes, absolutely begin to reintroduce these foods. My friend got married in October and she started to eat less strictly in the weeks prior to her wedding. She didn't regain any weight she'd lost, but it helped make the less compliant foods (she's also paleo) much less uncomfortable to eat when it came down to the week of the wedding (and stuff like wedding cake). Rice is probably not going to hurt ya much, though I guess some people get bloated from it.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Don't be surprised if what you eat up there "goes right through you." It is very hard not to get ill there.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

jey
    Yeah, sometimes that is just to be expected when you travel to another country for that period of time and need to rely solely on the food that is available and how it is prepared and cooked. I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro a few years ago and had no issues at all with the food and how I felt. Granted, back then I wasn't eating Primal/Paleo and it was a 9 day trip, not a month.

Absolutely, the experience of trekking thru Nepal for a month greatly outweigh having to eat rice and potatoes everyday. I just want to limit my risk of getting sick, based on the change of diet, while I am there. It will be interesting...but super excited!

jey
    I can see how that makes sense. I am definitely not worried about gaining weight while having to alter my diet this way for a month or so. I'm just more concerned about the effect it will have on my body going from eating these things every once in a while to fully relying on them for 3 meals a day for a month. Sounds like my odds are better if I slowly introduce them again into my diet more leading up to my departure so my body is slightly more adjusted once I get there. Thanks.

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Order the yak whenever you can. It's really good. Otherwise, eat the dal bhat with the potatoes and spinach. It's the best thing on the menu. Going to Nepal is 100000 times more important than eating a low carb diet.
    agree.

and go ahead and shift your diet now a bit to see if it's terrible, and then you can prep yourself accordingly.