Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheat Belly author on Dr. Oz today

Hybrid View

otzi Guest

Wheat Belly author on Dr. Oz today

Someone mentioned it last week. Should be good! Let us know what you think of the show, if you dare watch Dr. Oz...

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Someone mentioned it last week. Should be good! Let us know what you think of the show, if you dare watch Dr. Oz...
    I just missed it but you can see some videos on his website.

Sneak Peek: Are You Addicted to Wheat? | The Dr. Oz Show

He included a bread recipe, looks good minus the bean flours.

Wheat Belly Bread | The Dr. Oz Show

I'm sure they're going to butcher the show and twist words (I mean "edit") like they did with Gary Taubes.

I saw part of it and surprisingly Dr.Oz didn't skewer him like he did with Taubes. I thought it was overall well done , for the 1/2 I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by MouthDR View Post
    I'm sure they're going to butcher the show and twist words (I mean "edit") like they did with Gary Taubes.
    Wouldn't be surprised at that at all. The Great Oz has to keep his $ponsors happy.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food.” Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    He included a bread recipe, looks good minus the bean flours.

Wheat Belly Bread | The Dr. Oz Show
    See, this is the problem. This totally undermines the message.

First off, this bread is awful. I would rather eat a properly fermented sourdough bread made from a real cultured starter and from fresh, spouted, non-GMO wheat flour any day over a disgusting nut meal bread. When you bake nut meals, the omega 6 content oxidizes very easily (you ground it into a flour - that means surface area exposed to oxidation increased by an order of magnitude). Superheated omega 6 linoleic acid has an industrial term - varnish - which is essentially heated flaxseed oil. You're making industrial paint thinner in your oven whether you know it or not, and I'd rather eat a fermented wheat bread than this monstrosity. The only nut I'd consider baking with in significant quantity like this is macadamia meal, but it is very cost prohibitive and not exactly nutritious versus real food.

Second, the idea should be to get off not just wheat bread, but bread-like products as well. Replacing wheat flour brownies with the gluten-free blend at the grocery store isn't going to do a whole lot for your health. Anything ground up into a powder is going to not only destroy (and oxidize) some of the beneficial compounds in the food, but it's going to make it a whole lot easier for your body to digest. That means you're going to get hungry faster and eat more calories.

People shouldn't be trying to find a healthy replacement for bread. They should be trying to remove it. If you're going to have a treat, assuming you don't have some massive intolerance, just eat the real damn thing if you think it's worth it and avoid it the rest of the time. One splurge pizza dinner once a month is going to be a whole hell of a lot better for your health than your oxidized daily almond meal bread!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

I agree 100% but if you don't give people some fallback to old ideas they can't accept it. Most sensible people if they move that way and start to explore other healthy options will leave the fake treats behind (I hope).
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I agree 100% but if you don't give people some fallback to old ideas they can't accept it. Most sensible people if they move that way and start to explore other healthy options will leave the fake treats behind (I hope).
    I just dropped it. Threw it away. You can't eat it if you don't buy it. What makes it so difficult is having fallback options. It drags on forever and never fully happens it seems. As long as you give people an excuse to not do what's needed, they'll take it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I just dropped it. Threw it away. You can't eat it if you don't buy it. What makes it so difficult is having fallback options. It drags on forever and never fully happens it seems. As long as you give people an excuse to not do what's needed, they'll take it.
    I believe in timelines. Let them wean off it for the first 2 months, to get used to eating more meat and less grains. Then no grains for another 2 months. Then no added sugars for 2 months. Then cold turkey on all processed foods. This way you have the positives of both plans, where you can't default back to eating wheat because there are goal periods where you can't, yet you have the time to wean yourself off of it slowly, which most people are more apt to do because of habits

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    It's great when people can just parkour across the divide from conventional wisdom to primal. But some of us used the almond muffin bridge. We all got to the same place, though. Just sayin.