Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wheat Belly author on Dr. Oz today page 4

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    The saddest part of the whole Dr Oz train wreck is yesterday he's seeming genuinely interested in what Dr. Davis has to say and today he's teaching people how to go on the totally bunk "blood type diet". Headsmack!
    I didnt see it today, but that was a re-run I think. Looks like from 9-18-12
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

froggie is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    See, this is the problem. This totally undermines the message.

First off, this bread is awful. I would rather eat a properly fermented sourdough bread made from a real cultured starter and from fresh, spouted, non-GMO wheat flour any day over a disgusting nut meal bread. When you bake nut meals, the omega 6 content oxidizes very easily (you ground it into a flour - that means surface area exposed to oxidation increased by an order of magnitude). Superheated omega 6 linoleic acid has an industrial term - varnish - which is essentially heated flaxseed oil. You're making industrial paint thinner in your oven whether you know it or not, and I'd rather eat a fermented wheat bread than this monstrosity. The only nut I'd consider baking with in significant quantity like this is macadamia meal, but it is very cost prohibitive and not exactly nutritious versus real food.
    Hold on a minute, was there more data released or scientific experiments made to show this?
    Your comment intrigued me, and upon a little research online, I did not find much to back it up. Mark wrote about this a while back, and as "occasional treats" these breads are not the pain thinner you are referring to.

If anyone has more info, please share. I'd like to understand. I bake a 'paleo' banana bread about twice a month & keep slices in the freezer; I find it's a nice go-to snack when I run out of fresh options for breakfast.
    Maybe this is serious enough to consider dropping?

I would want to know! TIA!

Adopted the Primal lifestyle on: August 9 2012.
    My sporadic journal entries are here.

Results to date: I've lost (gained?) one belt hole!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone watch Oz on a regular basis on TV? I am interested in the commercials that are aired during the show. If Dr. Oz is "brought to you by" the prepared food companies like cereals, hamburger helper mixes, high fucktose corn syrup BBQ sauces and the like, then FORGET IT. Dr. Oz can't afford to lose SAD advertising dollars.

And the same goes for all the women's magazines. I notice that a lot of them are starting to "count carbs" or "don't eat carbs after lunch." But they NEVER specify WHICH carbs to eliminate, as that would eliminate whole classes of ads. If they leave it vague, all companies can compete for women's carbs.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I just dropped it. Threw it away. You can't eat it if you don't buy it. What makes it so difficult is having fallback options. It drags on forever and never fully happens it seems. As long as you give people an excuse to not do what's needed, they'll take it.
    It's great when people can just parkour across the divide from conventional wisdom to primal. But some of us used the almond muffin bridge. We all got to the same place, though. Just sayin.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I checked his web site but I didn't see any ads on it. I might have had ad block on, though. Looks like he airs locally at 4pm. Lots of convenience food and cleaning product ads at that time. It also says Harpo, Inc. at the bottom, so I imagine whatever ads Oprah's show has, his show has.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Does anyone watch Oz on a regular basis on TV?
    I'm not allowed to because I argue with the TV and get all pissed off.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    And the same goes for all the women's magazines. I notice that a lot of them are starting to "count carbs" or "don't eat carbs after lunch." But they NEVER specify WHICH carbs to eliminate, as that would eliminate whole classes of ads. If they leave it vague, all companies can compete for women's carbs.
    My wife just showed me something gary taubes had in the latest cosmopolitan mag. It was just an excerpt from "why we get fat". But its a step in the right direction we think.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by froggie View Post
    Hold on a minute, was there more data released or scientific experiments made to show this?
    Your comment intrigued me, and upon a little research online, I did not find much to back it up. Mark wrote about this a while back, and as "occasional treats" these breads are not the pain thinner you are referring to.

If anyone has more info, please share. I'd like to understand. I bake a 'paleo' banana bread about twice a month & keep slices in the freezer; I find it's a nice go-to snack when I run out of fresh options for breakfast.
    Maybe this is serious enough to consider dropping?

I would want to know! TIA!
    Here's an article on how to make your own varnish:

Homemade Varnish | eHow.com

The key ingredient is linseed oil, which is flaxseed oil. The reason it specifies "boiled" is because it oxidizes rapidly and creates that "glass-like" finish.

This is why flaxseed oil is the ideal oil to season a cast iron pan with. The last thing you want to season a cast iron pan with is something like lard or ghee. It's too stable. A great cast iron seasoning is made by oxidizing the oil, and the best oil to use is flaxseed.

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

The seasoning on cast iron is formed by fat polymerization, fat polymerization is maximized with a drying oil, and flaxseed oil is the only drying oil that’s edible. From that I deduced that flaxseed oil would be the ideal oil for seasoning cast iron.

As a reality check of this theory, I googled “season cast iron with flaxseed oil” to see what came up. The very first hit is a page written by a guy who seasons his cast iron cookware with linseed oil from the hardware store because it gives the hardest surface of anything he’s tried. (I’m not sure how safe that is; I don’t recommend it.) Below that were several sites selling traditional cast iron cookware from China, which they advertise as being “preseasoned with high quality flax oil”. I don’t know whether they really use food-grade flaxseed oil (which is expensive) or linseed oil from a hardware store. What’s significant is the claim. Seasoning with high quality flaxseed oil is something to brag about.
    While nut oils aren't quite as unstable as flax (omega 3 is even more unstable than omega 6), they're still quite prone to oxidation. A meal is going to be an improvement over an oil because it'll have some level of antioxidants to slow the oxidation, but you're still superheating a very unstable fat for a long period of time. While baking almond meal bread isn't EXACTLY like making varnish in your oven, you can extrapolate when you have the facts. I would not do it.

People that make flax bread REALLY scare me.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Does anyone watch Oz on a regular basis on TV? I am interested in the commercials that are aired during the show. If Dr. Oz is "brought to you by" the prepared food companies like cereals, hamburger helper mixes, high fucktose corn syrup BBQ sauces and the like, then FORGET IT. Dr. Oz can't afford to lose SAD advertising dollars.
    I've heard him advise against those types foods plenty of times, yet he still has their advertisements. I'm pretty sure I've even seen KFC ad's during his show yet he has still promoted vegetarianism on shows before.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234