Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheat Belly author on Dr. Oz today page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I watched all three parts of the show. Dr. Oz clearly is in favor of going no-wheat. Sure, he has no-wheat pizza, bread and stuff like that, but he's playing to an audience of people who are going to say hey, what about pizza? I can't live without my pizza and pancakes. He's got an answer to that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Dr. Oz clearly is in favor of going no-wheat. ...He's got an answer to that.
    I am just hoping he believes it enough to stand behind it & stay with it. Like him or not, lots of overweight people (women especially) love him, and listen to him. So when he says if you have a big belly, eat this on a whole wheat English muffin for breakfast, and if you have a big butt, eat this wheat tortilla wrap whatever. And then his weight loss guru guests like Chris whatever that says eat your carbs like pastas but every other day.... So I am very curious what he does with his new found information.
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-04-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I just dropped it. Threw it away. You can't eat it if you don't buy it. What makes it so difficult is having fallback options. It drags on forever and never fully happens it seems. As long as you give people an excuse to not do what's needed, they'll take it.
    I believe in timelines. Let them wean off it for the first 2 months, to get used to eating more meat and less grains. Then no grains for another 2 months. Then no added sugars for 2 months. Then cold turkey on all processed foods. This way you have the positives of both plans, where you can't default back to eating wheat because there are goal periods where you can't, yet you have the time to wean yourself off of it slowly, which most people are more apt to do because of habits

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Both Dr. Oz and Dr. Davis made quite a point in that episode of NOT recommending gluten free products. Davis referred to it as "replacing one problem with another". I thought that was a good thing.
    Oh wow. That's something I didn't expect. So many people fail to mention replacements when going to a new lifestyle, for example, getting processed soy "meats" when going vegan. I'm going to have to watch this.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    So I am very curious what he does with his new found information.
    I dont know which was recorded first, but today he is making a pizza with bread flour and whole wheat flour. A Domino's crust cheat with reduced calories & fat.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I dont know which was recorded first, but today he is making a pizza with bread flour and whole wheat flour. A Domino's crust cheat with reduced calories & fat.

I don't think you understand how Dr oz and his show format works. I'm sure when Dr Oz had Neil banard or other plant based diets all the vegans were saying the same things "Oh great! Oz is finally starting to get it, from now on he'll be recommending everyone avoid all animal products."

He gets "new found information" on his show every week from health gurus to all sorts of sensationalists and people with diet and health transformations. Next week he'll probably have someone saying the same thing about eggs and how terrible they are, and Oz will recommended everyone try and egg free diet. His show is mainly entertainment and he's great at it. He's also a hell of a lot smarter and clued in to these things then he makes out. I like watching his show mainly for the entertainment factor. And the good thing is he gives all these people platforms and introduces his audience to all these different ways of eating and lifestyles, so there's a good chance they might pick up something that works for them from one of Oz's guests sooner or later.
    Last edited by Forgotmylastusername; 12-04-2012 at 06:20 PM.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the link! I finally watched it. Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Dr. Davis was about as radical as he could be without tipping the audience into not believing him. I would have like to seen a little more live weight loss examples rather than the canned video.

And I have to give Dr. Oz credit for at least looking like he's really in search of health, and not just pushing the Supplement of the Week. But I'm disappointed to see that he's back to his wheaty days today. I was also rather hoping that they could find somebody to go off wheat right then and there, and follow their progress for a couple months.

I still think the whole low-carb movement is badly in need of a Celebrity Success Story. C'mon Dr. Oz, if this is so compelling, let's put Oprah on Primal. Or Kirstie Alley. Or Chris Christie.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Thanks for the link...off to watch!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    And I have to give Dr. Oz credit for at least looking like he's really in search of health, and not just pushing the Supplement of the Week. But I'm disappointed to see that he's back to his wheaty days today. I was also rather hoping that they could find somebody to go off wheat right then and there, and follow their progress for a couple months.
    Also, is this the end of the season now? Looked like some re-runs coming up, so maybe he will have more on it next season. Hopefully.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The saddest part of the whole Dr Oz train wreck is yesterday he's seeming genuinely interested in what Dr. Davis has to say and today he's teaching people how to go on the totally bunk "blood type diet". Headsmack!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast