Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wheat Belly author on Dr. Oz today page 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Not only didnt he skewer it, he did a small study that supported it...all in all not bad for the Dr
    Oh yal, I forgot about the little study. 5 women ate bread, they took their blood sugar. 24 hours later, they ate a candy bar. 3 of the 5, the bread spiked them higher than the candy bar. And I think 2 of those were extra high? or something, can't remember for sure.

So of course, the one lady thought (jokingly) (?) she should eat a candy bar for breakfast instead of toast
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

anna5 is offline Senior Member
    Oh, people. Nothing spikes my blood sugar (and pressure and anything else) more than the picture of Dr. Oz dominating
    the home/access page of "personal care connection" with New York Presbyterian Hospital.
    mynyp.org

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    wish I could have seen it...do these episodes ever get posted online?
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Posted online now, Solstice - Are You Addicted to Wheat? Pt 1 | The Dr. Oz Show

(I'm viewing from the UK - so you should be OK.)

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    Posted online now, Solstice - Are You Addicted to Wheat? Pt 1 | The Dr. Oz Show

(I'm viewing from the UK - so you should be OK.)
    Thanks, upandaway!

Interesting. I thought the little demonstration pouring the two "wheat" and "non wheat" liquids into the two "bodies" was a little cheesy but otherwise I think Oz may actually be coming around. He actually referred to his own recommendations to eat whole wheat all these years as "flawed".
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-04-2012 at 10:22 AM.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    He included a bread recipe, looks good minus the bean flours.

Wheat Belly Bread | The Dr. Oz Show
    See, this is the problem. This totally undermines the message.

First off, this bread is awful. I would rather eat a properly fermented sourdough bread made from a real cultured starter and from fresh, spouted, non-GMO wheat flour any day over a disgusting nut meal bread. When you bake nut meals, the omega 6 content oxidizes very easily (you ground it into a flour - that means surface area exposed to oxidation increased by an order of magnitude). Superheated omega 6 linoleic acid has an industrial term - varnish - which is essentially heated flaxseed oil. You're making industrial paint thinner in your oven whether you know it or not, and I'd rather eat a fermented wheat bread than this monstrosity. The only nut I'd consider baking with in significant quantity like this is macadamia meal, but it is very cost prohibitive and not exactly nutritious versus real food.

Second, the idea should be to get off not just wheat bread, but bread-like products as well. Replacing wheat flour brownies with the gluten-free blend at the grocery store isn't going to do a whole lot for your health. Anything ground up into a powder is going to not only destroy (and oxidize) some of the beneficial compounds in the food, but it's going to make it a whole lot easier for your body to digest. That means you're going to get hungry faster and eat more calories.

People shouldn't be trying to find a healthy replacement for bread. They should be trying to remove it. If you're going to have a treat, assuming you don't have some massive intolerance, just eat the real damn thing if you think it's worth it and avoid it the rest of the time. One splurge pizza dinner once a month is going to be a whole hell of a lot better for your health than your oxidized daily almond meal bread!
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 12-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I bet tons of people are throwing out their Oreos and buying gluten-free versions as we speak. Ah, sheeple.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I agree 100% but if you don't give people some fallback to old ideas they can't accept it. Most sensible people if they move that way and start to explore other healthy options will leave the fake treats behind (I hope).
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I agree 100% but if you don't give people some fallback to old ideas they can't accept it. Most sensible people if they move that way and start to explore other healthy options will leave the fake treats behind (I hope).
    I just dropped it. Threw it away. You can't eat it if you don't buy it. What makes it so difficult is having fallback options. It drags on forever and never fully happens it seems. As long as you give people an excuse to not do what's needed, they'll take it.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I bet tons of people are throwing out their Oreos and buying gluten-free versions as we speak. Ah, sheeple.
    Both Dr. Oz and Dr. Davis made quite a point in that episode of NOT recommending gluten free products. Davis referred to it as "replacing one problem with another". I thought that was a good thing.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 12-04-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast