Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No energy on Primal diet :( page

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member

No energy on Primal diet :(

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi,

I have recently decided to return to the primal diet, after getting fed up it previously and leaving to try the old calorie counting diet (with bread etc). I've been back on it just over a month.

My problem is, I have zero energy. For exampple, the bike ride that I was doing with ease on the calorie counting diet, I now have to cut short because I am buggered. A hill on the bike ride that I didn't even realise before was a hill, i.e. it is just a slight incline, leaves me gasping for breath and my lungs burning, I literally can't get enough air in. I am doing the whole ride in easier gears - I can barely get it moving using the gears I was using before.

It's not like I am low carbing either. I eat a few pieces of fruit a day, and a variety of veggies and nuts, and last night I ate a huge serving of sweet potato to try and give me some energy this morning, but it still didn't work.

This was part of the reason I left the primal way of eating last time. I was on it for months and never seemed to be able to switch from sugar-burner to fat burner...

Any tips on what I can do nutritionally to give me some energy back?

Lucy

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    What else are you eating? Getting enough fat and calories? You could be eating a lot less than you assume.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Eat white potatoes or white rice for starch. Nuts are virtually carb free.

Why do you aim to eat low carb if you don't have diabetes or cancer already?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    also, could be carb flu.

peril is offline Senior Member
    You didn't mention protein
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Is that possible when not low-carbing?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

Is what possible?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Carb flu.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Hi,
    Hmm I doubt it's carb flu, as I am not low carbing. I am not counting my carbs, but there are plenty of fruit and veg sources, although admittedly no white rice or potato...plus it's been going on over a month, and persisted last time i was on primal after many months, and carb flu is meant to be short term isn't it?

Definitely getting enough calories.
    breakfast was yoghurt with berries, big handful of nuts and pepitas, chia, banana
    lunch was lettuce, mushrooms, hunk of feta cheese, 1/2 avocado, tuna or eggs, olive oil for dressing, homemade mayo, and an apple
    dinner was a protein source, onions done in butter, large serving of sweet potato (or meat and veg in some form)
    plus goats milk in coffee...

lucy

Hmmm not low carb flu.

Possibly low calorie flu given how active you are.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast