Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: No energy on Primal diet :( page 4

Zach is offline Banned
    Primal Fuel
    I dont think there is a thing as being fully fat adapted when it comes to exercise. Your body needs a bit of carbs as fuel even if you are doing slow steady state cardio. That is why all long distance runners and bikers take in glucose when racing. Once to up the intensity your body switches over to carbs mostly. So unless you do very slow jogging then you will need a bit of carbs.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Not saying "fully". You most definitely can train to improve your fat oxidation and usage. That is why I said energy partitioning. Training fasted and eating low carb while in training are some proven methods. Of course come race time most will fuel up with everything they can and take advantage of their training. I personally don't compete so I just reap the benefits of the training in life.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to echo the advice to add carbs...specifically in the form of starches like tubers and white rice. A few pieces of fruit and some veggies sounds low carb to me.

My personal experience is somewhat similar to what you mentioned. I had a history of hypothyroid symptoms, though I was never officially diagnosed with anything. I went low carb paleo (no grains, no starches, no sugars - my only carbs came from fruit and veggies) for about a year...during that year my fatigue got worse and worse until I rarely had the energy to get off the couch. I made zero progress in the gym on my weights for a year. Seriously, I couldn't increase the weight on anything. My body temperature got lower, I was colder all the time, it was a slow and steady decline.

When I lowered my fat and significantly added back carbs in the form of white rice, potatoes, occasionally some oatmeal or buckwheat, and organic sugar, my energy levels improved noticeably. I started improving in the gym with my very first high carb day. It was like magic.

I've personally been using cold thermogenesis and high carb/sugar to improve my thyroid and overall energy/functioning, and I've noticed dramatic improvements in the past 6 months. Primal didn't work for me; I'm basically eating in line with The Perfect Health Diet, using some Ray Peat flourishes, and I'm doing much better. So if Primal isn't working for you, don't be afraid to experiment with some different ways of eating.

zizou is offline Senior Member
    I think provided you have good stores of glucose, you can train without carbs, but carb refeeds are a must.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Lots of ultramarathoners implement vlc as a secret weapon to win races. It's not much of a secret anymore as now lots of them are doing it. Not having to eat anything (or very little) during a many hour race, not having to deal with the digestive distress of consuming food while running and not losing any strength or energy even while not eating is a huge benefit in a long distance race. Not all of them do this, of course, and some of the runners who live life low carb in regular life consume simple carbs during the race hoping for an edge in "train low, race high" terms.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Lots of ultramarathoners implement vlc as a secret weapon to win races. It's not much of a secret anymore as now lots of them are doing it. Not having to eat anything (or very little) during a many hour race, not having to deal with the digestive distress of consuming food while running and not losing any strength or energy even while not eating is a huge benefit in a long distance race. Not all of them do this, of course, and some of the runners who live life low carb in regular life consume simple carbs during the race hoping for an edge in "train low, race high" terms.
    Sounds real healthy and effective. I can see this working out great. Excellent secret weapon, thanks for bringing it to light.
    nihil

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Timothy Olson: Another Low-Carb Athlete That Never Was? AnthonyColpo

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Sounds real healthy and effective. I can see this working out great. Excellent secret weapon, thanks for bringing it to light.
    lol.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    Again, thanks for all the additional advice.

So far I added 1/2 cup rice and a potato to dinner last night, and instead of yoghurt and nuts for breakfast I had 1/2 cup rice, tuna and left over veg. ..will do the same for tea tonight, and see how my energy goes on a ride tomorrow! Hopefully it works I don't really want to start drinking juice just to fuel my rides, as I am pretty sure that juice is one of the worst things you can drink...

Also I think someone asked the question about what speed/intensity i ride at? Generally not fast - I go for about 40-50mins, and have tonnes of cyclists over take me. It's more an enjoyment thing.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    as I am pretty sure that juice is one of the worst things you can drink...
    Not even. Fruit juice is high in salicylates, they're very anti-inflammatory. Pulp free fresh squeezed orange juice is free of fiber, and contains an abundance of vitamins and minerals.
    nihil

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    Again, thanks for all the additional advice.

So far I added 1/2 cup rice and a potato to dinner last night, and instead of yoghurt and nuts for breakfast I had 1/2 cup rice, tuna and left over veg. ..will do the same for tea tonight, and see how my energy goes on a ride tomorrow! Hopefully it works I don't really want to start drinking juice just to fuel my rides, as I am pretty sure that juice is one of the worst things you can drink...

Also I think someone asked the question about what speed/intensity i ride at? Generally not fast - I go for about 40-50mins, and have tonnes of cyclists over take me. It's more an enjoyment thing.
    Well, you never know. I know plenty of people that thought they were working at a generally low intensity until they actually took their pulse and found out otherwise. The "low and slow" part of the PB really is quite slow until you train in that zone for a while and improve your aerobic conditioning so that you can go faster and stay in that zone. I prefer the fat burn route, but if I had to choose I'd definitely hit up the sweet potatoes or rice as part of a whole meal before I relied on some sugar bomb fruit drink.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast