Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No energy on Primal diet :( page 2

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Let me help those of you that automatically assume this person is low carb....

Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    It's not like I am low carbing either. I eat a few pieces of fruit a day, and a variety of veggies and nuts, and last night I ate a huge serving of sweet potato to try and give me some energy this morning, but it still didn't work.

I might go the other way with it and eat VLC for 1-2 weeks with plenty of fat. Get through the metabolic shift and acclimation. After that reintroduce carbs you see fit. This is akin to the train low race high sort of advice for athletes. You may not feel superhuman on VLC, or even better for that matter but by having your body make that physiological change THEN reintroducing carbs you may be able to break out of your sugar burning funk.

Then again could very well be just too few calories.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    I would estimate that yesterday I ate about 2400 calories. I know I am not meant to count, but it's a hangover from my calorie counting days that I just know anyway

otzi Guest
    I hate threads like this because you can feel the sincerity oozing out of them! i clicked on your link and read some stuff you posted last May, this jumped out at me:

I saw my doc yesterday, thyroid issues, and he basically said, in his experience, even properly medicated, people with thyroid problems struggle to lose weight, and have to work much harder, and be vigiliant in keeping it off. With that in mind I've decided to commit to a really strict month (hence cutting out dairy), and hopefully some kilos (of fat) will shift.
    So, have you gotten your thyroid under control? Without an awesome thyroid, you are up against the wall. Low carb is bad for you, calorie cutting is bad...only thing you can be good at is gaining weight!

How is your thyroid these days? On anything for it?

Don't try and bully me. No my thyroid isn't under control, however, it also wasn't under control when I was eating bread and counting calories, and I still had more energy to exercise. The only thing that has changed is the diet.

Last time I tried primal, yes, I trield VLC and Low carb, and regular carb, I tried cutting out dairy, I tried intermittant fasting etc - all trying to lose weight, which I did not.

However, my question isn't about the weight that I have yet to shift, it is about my energy levels. I am just wondering why when I swtich to primal they plummeted again.

Zach is offline Banned
    Looks low carb to me. Certainly under 100g. Fat will ways suck compared to carbs when it comes to endurance exercise. If biking is important, up the starch.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Agreed you might like to try eating more healthy carbs, i.e. starch. White potato and white rice. Most fruit is poor in provision of glucose.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Agreed you might like to try eating more healthy carbs, i.e. starch. White potato and white rice. Most fruit is poor in provision of glucose.
    Great thankyou. I'll try some rice and potato with my evening meals, and hopefully get some energy back. I don't exactly do long distance on the bike, and am not competitive or fast by an stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoy my twice per week bike ride - or I did before it became a physical slog, so I really appreciate the helpful advice.

Zach is offline Banned
    It may help with your thyroid as well.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lucy1984 View Post
    Great thankyou. I'll try some rice and potato with my evening meals, and hopefully get some energy back. I don't exactly do long distance on the bike, and am not competitive or fast by an stretch of the imagination, but I really enjoy my twice per week bike ride - or I did before it became a physical slog, so I really appreciate the helpful advice.
    Just go for it ... do the best you can do for yourself and enjoy it. x
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What's to say the lack of energy isn't because of your diet, but your thyroid? Honestly, one month is not long enough to get a fair assessment of how well PB works for you. Give it a few more weeks before making any adjustments. Also, unknown food allergies and inflammation could be contributing factors. Hang in there!
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast