Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (School Of Grok) page 5

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    SG, glad to see you're not beating yourself up (at least on here) about the slip ups. I think most people get so wrapped around the axle when they have them, they end up giving up. Two steps forward and one step back is still progress!

BTW, at Panera Bread, their steak and blue cheese salad is awesome. I just ask for extra meat.

Why, might I ask, are you eating a large amount of sweet potatoes? At this stage, you may find the weight dropping a little faster if you limit the potatoes. Not eliminate them completely, but maybe have one every other day. Especially if you're not doing a lot of cardio. Maybe give it a try for a week and see if there is a difference?

Anyway, great job so far! Keep it up.

SchoolOfGrok is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice. I've done the beating myself up thing before... Not fun, not productive, leads to failure (as you said) so I like my new approach. As far as sweet potatoes, I don't have them too often, but if wife cooks them, I eat them. No specific timetable for weight loss goal, so slow is fine. Almost using them to ease into it as they are SO good and easy to cook. Better option than non-primal sides... So I will work to continue to scale back. Same goes for some of the fruit in my smoothies.

Day 38/365
    229 lbs!

Looks like I broke thru a bit of a barrier in the low 230s. Although wasn't too worried about it because the mirror test says I'm building muscle and I look a lot thinner in the face. Waist is also smaller (from about 41 to 39.5 at the belly button)

Decent day... Especially considering it was a day off. Not totally primal but nothing to feel bad about.

Blk coffee

Santa Fe salad at Cheesecake Factory (beans and corn but got it w/ no tortilla strips)

Roasted red pepper dip w/ celery and carrots (completely avoided the chips which were right there)

A couple small pieces of a thin crust pizza. Not primal of course, but low calorie. Not a bomb of junk that ruined stomach

4 glasses of red (friends over... Game night)
    Last edited by SchoolOfGrok; 01-11-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Congrats on the weight loss and the good attitude!

I miss drinking wine right now. My wife is mean and has a glass while we skype.

Thanks man! I'll raise one for ya next time.

Day 39/365 (Thursday)

Did not eat until dinner but boy did I make it count. Was in celebration mode because of wife's new job... so threw caution to the wind and ate/drank all sorts of non-primal goodness. Overall, though, it won't be hard to recover from it. I feel like I've hit a switch over the last week or so that's totally on it with primal/paleo as a lifestyle, allowing to stray and not feel guilty. The key is to make sure it is very ONCE IN A WHILE. I also think it felt probably worse than it actually was based on what I ate and that it was only at night, not an all day eating festival.

Blk coffee

Dinner: BBQ chicken tenders (appetizer)... 1/2 rack of baby back ribs w/ mashed potatoes. 2 beers

At home: another few beers (3), brownie w/ peppermint ice cream

Like I said, made it count. Although looking at it here, it's really not the worst day I've had. Since I didn't eat all day, then feasted, I felt REALLY full and definitely ate more than I needed to. Bears mentioning though that the ribs are pretty primal (not a lot of BBQ sauce on them)... so I think it's better than a bunch of cookies, donuts, cake, etc. Fasted until 7:30 today (Friday) and will probably keep it to just the one meal at work to get back on it. Busy couple of weeks ahead will keep the alcohol low, good eating habits steady.

WORKOUT
    bench press - 215x4, 205x5, 185x8
    dips - 8/7/6 (bodyweight... no assist)
    planks - 1:05, 1:05, 1:10 (working up to 3 sets at 2:00 each)

Day 40/365

Fasted through the whole day until dinner after eating a ton on Thursday night.

Blk coffee

Chicken wings

WORKOUT
    50 mins walk/jog on treadmill

Day 41/365

Coffee, ham/egg scramble

Slow cooker chicken w/ broccoli, bacon wrapped chicken

Stuffed pepper

Sounds like a good day! I caved yesterday and had Pralines and Cream ice cream at lunch and dinner. Oops!

How are you feeling this far in? How's the weight doing?

Oh man I caved yesterday too. Weight ballooned a bit this week (only a couple pounds) but manageable to get it back down.

Day 42/365
    234 lbs

Blk coffee

pulled pork, chicken breasts, caesar salad, diet pepsi

lara bar

stuffed pepper, chicken w/ broccoli, 2 beers, thin mints

Didn't have to have those beers/cookies, but what the hell. Still feel good overall and strong. I am now on a mission to go down 10 lbs. I know the slow and steady thing is the way to approach it long term, but it also leads to thinking 80/20 is OK so that weight comes off slowly. Still want to lose the 10 in a good way (still eating, not killing myself with cardio, etc) but I know if I just stay pretty strict, it'll happen in 3 weeks. Once I'm at 224, then I can hit the slow/steady thing again. Really don't have far to go weight loss wise... I'm pretty lean at 215 and wouldn't want to be anything under 205. It's the fat loss I want to step up in.

Day 43/365

Blk coffee

Stuffed pepper, chicken/broccoli

2 burgers w/ avocado, lettuce, jalapenos, hot sauce
    Protein bar

WORKOUT
    deadlift - 265x4, 245x5, 225x6
    chin ups - 4 (bodyweight), 5 (25 assist), 6 (45 assist)
    15 min jog

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 44/365

coffee

chicken w/ broccoli

Spicy V8

Very busy at work, so only time for 1 meal and held off eating late night at home. Went for a walk outside... good day.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast