Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Primal Pain Relief? page 2

Miriam Guest

Primal Fuel

To actually put on your knuckles try either calendula cream it is an anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and wound healer or Arnica which gives relief from sore muscles and bruising.

And for a natural pain relief as Diana said Willowbark and also lavender or peppermint essential oil dabbed on the temples is very soothing and should make you feel better.

Clint is offline Senior Member

PJAP -

I usually prepare my own and avoid buying the bottles of pre-made jow. Note, that if you prepare it yourself, you have to let it soak/ferment for anywhere from 30-120 days. Here's a good place to get the pack of herbs:

http://www.everythingwingchun.com/Wing-Chun-Dit-Da-Jow-Pre-Measured-Herb-Bag-p/jow05.htm

Here's some recipies if you want to blend your own.

Homemade Tiger Balm:
    [quote]

1. Take a small jar of Vaseline, a small jar of Vicks, cayenne red pepper (it's somewhere in the kitchen on your spice rack) and either dried red chilli peppers (most gourmet stores have them) or red chilli peppers that have already been bottled (they're probably next to the cayenne pepper).

2. Put the Vaseline in a pot and melt it on the stove at low heat.

3. Add two or three tablespoons of Vicks - depending on how smelly and mentholly you want it - until that also is melted.

4. Grind up the red pepper until it's a powder, mix it with the cayenne pepper and add to the melted Vaseline.

5. While in its liquid state, repour it back into a jar and let cool.

I did not mention the quantities of either the cayenne pepper or the chilli pepper because that will be up to you based on the desired strength of your compound. If you use a small jar of Vaseline and you want it hot, use two tablespoons of both peppers finely ground and stirred into the compound. When it cools it will be somewhere between a pink to red color.
    </blockquote>

Homemade Dit Da Jow (Chinese herbs)
    [quote]

(these are the botanical names and Chinese names) 1 oz.=30 grams

1 bottle of strong vodka, gin or Chinese rice wine

Artemesia (Liu ji nu) - 5g

Borneol (Bingpian) - 1g

Carthamus (Honghua) - 5g

Catechu (Ercha) - 8g

Cinnabar (Zhusha) - 5g

Cirsium (DaJi) - 1g

Dragon&#39;s Blood (Xuejie) - 30g

Mastic (Ruxiang) - 5g

Musk (Shexiang) - 1g

Myrrh (Moyao) - 5g

Pinellia (ShengBanXia) - 5g

Take all ingredients and grind into a fine powder, add the whole bottle of vodka or gin. Mix well and rub into the injured area. The beauty of this particular recipe is that you don&#39;t have to bury it for 35 days to two month before you can use it. Classically when you made Jow it had to be buried underground for an extended period of time before it was ready to be used. There was no magical/mystical reasoning behind it. Sunlight and heat oxidize the herbs and change the chemical properties so, keeping in mind it&#39;s around the year 1700, where are you going to store this stuff when you need a dark cool dry place? And what do you use to ferment and age your herbal combination to get the most out of your ingredients - alcohol. That&#39;s why a 100 year old Scotch Whiskey is supposed to be so good.

If you desire to have the herbs soak, pour the combination into a dark glass container and place it in a closet or cupboard where it shouldn&#39;t get too hot, and periodically shake the liniment once or twice a week. You should note that if you do this the traditional way then the herbs are loosely ground, and not into a powder. And the longer they sit in the bottle the stronger the Jow becomes. The store bought Jow never has any of the herbs at the bottom of the bottle that they come in. Also some Jow is sold in plastic bottles, and over time the plastic starts to break down into the herbal formula. And some Jow is even sold in clear bottles with no way to know how long it&#39;s been in there. A decent Jow should look like soy sauce in color and have a slight alcohol, medicinal smell. Please note this Jow recipe may not be as dark or "smelly" due to the quality of herbs, time left to soak before usage, cooking properties of some of the herbs, combinations of the specific herbs or the specific usage properties. This is a "fast" formula, it&#39;s original intent is to be made now to use now, not in a month or two.
    </blockquote>

Dit Da Jow (American Herbs)
    [quote]

Alcohol (Vodka, Gin, Brandy - even Rubbing Alcohol) 1 or 2 quarts

Breadstraw

Calendula (Marigold)

Camomile

Comfrey (if you can still get it - you may have to grow your own if you want to add this)

Common Club Moss

Cow slip

Dandelion

Shepherd&#39;s Purse

Stinging Nettle

St. John&#39;s Wort

Wintergreen oil (Many times this comes together with rubbing alcohol, either way is fine - obviously if you&#39;re going to use rubbing alcohol you won&#39;t need the vodka, gin, etc. Remember, boxers and other athletes have been using it for hundreds of years and they get abused a lot more on a daily basis than most of us.)

Use 1 oz. of each herb, pour the alcohol into a glass jar (or back into the alcohol bottle - all the herbs should have been ground or are small enough to funnel in). Leave it in a dark place for a week, shaking occasionally and you&#39;re ready to roll (figuratively speaking, no pun intended). True, the longer it keeps the better it will be, but you can use it in about an hour or two if necessary.
    </blockquote>

mds86 Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Sorry about that.

Thanks for the reminder. I keep forgetting that taking drugs for pain relief can inhibit muscle growth.

Anyways, I used to box a lot when I was younger and here is what I have for you (which I&#39;m sure you&#39;ve already done.)

1) Always wear hand-wraps underneath your boxing gloves

2) Ice your hands after a hard session (bucket of ice water.) This helped my knees when I used to run a lot. Keeps the swelling down.

3) Take a day of rest.

4) Saying "No pain, no gain" in my head a great deal.

Hope the last one wasn&#39;t too cheeky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12