Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Granny Grok in need of help page

Scottishlady is offline Junior Member

Granny Grok in need of help

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there folks.

I am 57 and have recently started the primal lifestyle - I have been paleo for about 2 months and lost about a 20 pounds. During this I have also up'd the exercise side of things.

(For reference)

F, 5' 6"
    was 170 pounds
    now 150,
    Goal 135

I live in cold, dark (this time of year), damp, Scotland - so even a walk means layering up and still being cold . I have Reynauds, I need to keep warm

I have not done much in the way of exercise over recent years and do have some arthritis.

So where should I focus on getting fit - as in what types of exercise. I have gone to the gym and looked in awe at the machines and weights- where do you begin- what are they for. There are no trainers to help or guide.

So, initially I worked on the elliptical trainer - shattering experience- red in the face for an hour afterwards! I have walked on the treadmill with some minute runs/jogs - I am a long way off a sprint. I can now do a mile in just under 13 mins on a gradual incline.

I have tried a press up (cant do it!) also tried a burpee - legs were like butter after two attempts. I feel I have come on a long way but am a bit lost in not knowing what to do in order to be able to exercise with better results . Does that make sense?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Robb Wolf has a plan for non-fit folks in his book "Paleo Solution". When I started exercising, his plan was the model I started with. I went from walking for 30 minutes (in July 2012) to jogging 5 miles (November 2012). I am just a few years younger than you, so I understand the hurdles of trying to get fit in your 50's. Start slow, build up slowly and you can get there.

Diogenes is offline Member
    My wife and I (also in our 50's) have had good success with Convict Conditioning. These videos will get you started if you are interested.

Wall Pushup
    Vertical Pull
    Jack Knife Squat
    Flat Knee Raise

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Hi there Scottishlady.

If you want to workout in the gym and lift weights, I would really recommend engaging with a trainer - even if just to get you started.

I've been working with a trainer (in Edinburgh - not sure where you are) for the last three months and the difference is astonishing, not to mention that I'm loving it!

blissfull is offline Junior Member
    Just a quick thought on "sprints". I noticed you said you are in no way ready for a sprint. Just remember that a sprint is just that, a sprint. Don't compare your speed, time or distance to anyone else. If you only go all out for 10 seconds, good for you, next time maybe it will be 11 seconds, even better. As you get used to doing them you may find yourself setting some personal goals when it comes to speed, distance or time but just don't compare your abilities to anyone else. I love treadmills because I love playing with the incline and speed etc. Sort of makes no two workouts the same. When I first started I just went steady for that first half hour then I would start playing with the incline for a lap or the speed for a lap, the laps start to add up this way and the option is always there just to stroll a lap or two.
    When it comes to weight machines just be careful and pay attention to how it fits your body. Usually you have to adjust the seat etc to your specific size. If it is not comfortable, like your knee is resting weird on the pad then it needs to be adjusted. You don't want to injure yourself in the process.
    Have fun!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottishlady View Post
    Any ideas?
    Do a search for Mark Sisson on Youtube and watch his videos showing exercise progression from nothing to harder.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Does your gym have any group fitness classes? That is how I got started. I took one they called "Pump + Abs" which I guess is similar to something called body pump or other similar names out there. It appears it had similarities to P90X, too. The classes were pretty challenging for me and the exercises had various modifications I could do as a rank beginner. So while other people were doing planks on their feet and elbows I could do them on knees and hands. Stuff like that. It really was a good start for me. I've moved on to doing weight lifting with barbells. I hired a personal trainer for 3 sessions to show me how to use the equipment and help me choose appropriate starting weights. (The personal trainer was associated with the university where the gym is, but it's not like she's an employee of the gym.) After I got instruction from her, I followed the illustrations in Starting Strength (a book I bought online) to make sure I continued to use proper form and also for the general idea for linear progression. I even bought some giant washers so I could put smaller increments of weight on the bar.

So I've gone from not being able to do a plank and feeling like my internal organs were pressing right on the floor if I laid on my belly to being able to do a real plank for 2 minutes (or more, never tried to see how long I could do it.) I can squat 95lbs for reps, deadlift 115lbs for reps, bench 60lbs for reps, overhead press 50lbs for reps. No pullups yet.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    My wife and I (also in our 50's) have had good success with Convict Conditioning. These videos will get you started if you are interested.

Wall Pushup
    Vertical Pull
    Jack Knife Squat
    Flat Knee Raise
    +1 - improving the use of your body is a marvelous feeling. And don't worry about your age, lassie - I'm 61 later this month and getting better (SLOWLY!!) as I go along. Dial in the diet (for me it's nutritional ketosis, all the way) and give your self time. You didn't get where are overnight, but you can come back faster ... if you're thoughtful about it.

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    If you are at a gym, start with the Nautilus or whatever machines: Legs, lats, shoulders, chest press, arms. They probably have an ab thing, but I did planks and knee-ups in the captains chair. Once you have a bit of muscle, move to free weights. The machines keep you from seriously hurting yourself while you get some strength, then you can go on your own.

I'm a 51 year old grandmother of 3: In January, I could do one pushup and no pullups, had the assisted pullup machine set at 90. I can manage 125 lbs squats, 65 lb deadlifts---back surgery!--and did 8 pullups unassisted this am. You can do it....for cardio, just walk at a decent speed for an hour or so, whether indoors or out.

My 23 year old daughter and I share size 4 jeans.......

nommh is offline Junior Member
    I must admit I have not yet fully committed to primal fitness, although I think the principle is sound, but I'm lacking the fitness too. I was just wondering, if you have sufficiently considered the 'fun' part of it. The other day I went on a swing (I'm 52), not for long though, because like you, I live in a cold, dark, and damp climate and I could feel the cold of the chains coming through my gloves. My real fun activity is dancing. And once I've danced to the hornpipe from Tubular Bells, I consider my sprint sorted as well.
    Whatever gets your juices flowing and gives you and your body joy of movement might be a nice starting point. But whatever you do, make it doable, take small steps, pat yourself on the back for doing so and before you know it, you'll be in your stride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast