Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Week-long Fast page

Char Aznable is offline Member

Week-long Fast

Primal Fuel
    Howdy.

I've been experimenting in recent days with IF and have been kicking my old SAD habits to the curb, trying my best to eat a more primal diet. I've managed to transition without too much difficulty. Fat is delicious!

However, due to some circumstances outside of my control, I'm really, really broke. Food money is scarce, and my family and I won't be able to go grocery shopping for at least a week; possibly longer. As a result, I've decided to fast for the next week. It's important to me that my wife and kids eat, and to be honest, I've been looking for an excuse to give a longer fast a try, so this seems like a nice way to strike a balance. My fasting record right now is about 40 hours. A whole week is going to be quite difficult, I think. There was another member here who fasted for 21 days however, and reading his account made me a little more open to trying this.

I ate a large meal today, so the fast has now begun.

I'm a 6'7" male, 24 years old, About 295 pounds. I'm looking to lose some fat and to improve my general health. Blood pressure's been a little high lately, so it'd be nice to see that drop along with the number on the scale. I plan to drink only water (including mineral water), tea and, perhaps, coffee.

I've read of people supplementing with sea salt and other such things. I think I'd be interested in doing this, but am curious as to what micronutrients I ought to be taking and in what form. Don't want my electrolytes getting out of whack.

So, I've started this thread for a few reasons. First off, I feel as though it'll keep me at least somewhat accountable. I plan to update at least once a day. Also, I'm interested in advice from more experienced fasters. If you've got any to share, or simply want to voice support, I'm cool with that. Lastly, I plan to track my progress. I'll try and take my blood pressure daily, detail my weightloss and my daily activities, in the hopes that this little account of mine might be of use to someone.

Here we go.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Bone broth would be a good option during your fast as well -- lots of vitamins and minerals, easy to make, and easy to drink/eat.

Hmm. Perhaps I'll look into that. I was kind of hoping to make this a water fast though, aside from the occasional tea or coffee. I wonder whether the broth would hamper my progress in any way. Moreover, I'm afraid that the broth might make me hungrier!

I appreciate the suggestion, though. I'll have to do a bit of research into broth and how it might effect the fast.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Water 8 cups
    Juice of one lemon (or 2T bottled)
    1tsp salt
    packet of stevia(optional)

This recipe is great for keeping your electrolytes on an even keel, and you probably already have all the stuff. I alternate it with regular tap water.

Thanks for the recipe! I've got some lemons laying around, so this is doable. In the days to come I'll be giving this a try!

Day one has begun. I work the night shift, so I just got home from work. My stomach's been rumbling pretty fiercely and I finally feel as though my big meal from yesterday has been fully processed. The belly's empty, but I'm not really hungry. The desire to eat is there, certainly, but I'm not at all inclined to yield to it. Just staying hydrated at the moment.

When I wake up tonight I'll weigh myself and check my blood pressure.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    I find my stomach rumbles more than I am really, truly hungry. so water or other plain drinks will help. Kudos to you for making lemonade out of life's lemons.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Whoa, that's scary.

I did 7 day fasts as a teenager, and I have to say that it was neither fun, nor it helped weight loss. We restored properly and all that, from diluted juice to fresh veggies to light food, etc, and did enimas 2x a day, all proper, all by the book. The weight was back real fast even with restricted cals diet, even when I was 18. If I were out to save money, I would just stick with beans and rice.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Zach is offline Banned
    You know rice, potatoes, beans and bananas are dirt cheap. Starving yourself is not the answer. If your family depends on you as the main source of of income, you probably shouldnt do something as foolish as this.

That's interesting, Leida.

My experience with IF has been positive, in that I've managed to lose weight over time and control my otherwise ridiculous eating habits. I've read a few accounts by members of this and other forums of lasting weight loss after a prolonged fast. Then again, everyone's body is different and may not respond the same way.

I hope that this fast will kick-start my weight loss, and that, when I resume my previous regimen, it'll help me keep the weight off. I'll gain a bit of water weight after the fast, sure, but with proper diet and exercise afterward, I think I'll be able to keep it off. Then again, you may be right. I guess we'll see how this turns out.

Any more experienced fasters have any insight into this? Do I stand to gain all of the weight back if I eat and train reasonably once it's over? I'd certainly appreciate more insight into the matter from others!

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    You know rice, potatoes, beans and bananas are dirt cheap. Starving yourself is not the answer. If your family depends on you as the main source of of income, you probably shouldnt do something as foolish as this.
    I appreciate your concern, Zach. I don't believe that what I'm doing technically qualifies as starvation, though. I'm a big guy, with at least 70 pounds of excess body fat. Once my body starts into Ketosis, it will be well-fed as it breaks down that fat and uses it for energy. There is a fair bit of science to back this up, and I've read stories of morbidly obese individuals engaging in long-term (we're talking on the order of months here) fasts to lose the weight. My tummy might be empty, but with some supplementation to keep my electrolytes balanced, I'll still be getting everything I need.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast