Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Week-long Fast page 6

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post

Going from full fast to a X-mas meal is scary...It was described in a couple of novels.... Please, be careful with how much and what you eat after the fast..
    I think we have read the same novels!

I also don't think you should go straight from nothing to a full-blown meal, but I think light proteins(eggs spring to mind, along with fish, raw or cooked) and soft vegetables are another alternative to consider besides juices.

And amount...a few bites, see how it goes...a little more in an hour. One thing I was surprised by was how I did NOT want to gorge when breaking my fast. A little was all I needed or wanted.

Char Aznable is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I'm enjoying your posts. Your thoughts on disassociating pleasure from food were interesting. Not that it should be gone always, just our over-dependence on it.

I would make one suggestion for breaking your fast- that you do it on the 23rd instead of 24th. Your reactions might not be what you expect, and it would be good to have that extra day, so that you can enjoy Christmas and not spend it dealing with any surprises. I DO hope you keep posting. It is always good to hear how people are doing on fasts- we have such a LOT of information on food plans, and not nearly enough on people's fasting experiences.

Also, consider that electrolyte water (water, lemon, salt). It will help with the dizziness.

Congratulations on your blood pressure results. From what I have read, it seems those results linger 6+ months after a longer (3 days) fast. Would you be interested in keeping track of them long term, and maybe posting them weekly, after you end your fast?
    I'll be having some lemon juice and salt today, I think. I haven't really been dizzy-- just feeling a little off. And I'll certainly update my blood pressures beyond the fast. Glad you're enjoying the posts!

I agree that breaking the fast on the 23rd would be prudent so that I could enjoy a more normal Christmas experience and spare myself any surprises. Although, to be fair, I've read a lot of accounts of people fasting for 30-40 days and breaking their fasts with, say, a cup of milk. An hour later, they eat like a pound of meat, haha. I hope I'll be in a position to eat more or less normally after the fast. A day or so to get used to eating in small amounts is probably a good idea, certainly, but I hope my body will be able to handle a decent meal when all is said and done.

I don't honestly see the point in an enema, to be honest. Although I understand that it would clean me out, I think my body's quite capable of doing the work on its own. Moreover, so long as I continue supplementing, I think I'll be OK so far as nutrients go. Thanks for all of the concern, though! I appreciate the suggestions.

I'm nearly to the 96 hour mark. The cravings for food have been intense. It probably doesn't help that I had to stop by the grocery store, haha. They were offering free samples of stuff and the smells coming from the bakery were mind-numbingly good. Staying strong, though. Headed to bed soon. Can't believe I'll be crossing the 100 hour mark soon. Each time I think to myself: "Huh, I haven't eaten in three or four days" it's a little surreal.

Update: Just drank the juice of one lemon and ate a bit of sea salt. Washing it all down with a little mineral water. Call me crazy, but my cravings for food have disappeared.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Enjoy following this. You are doing fantastic
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Paleobird Guest
    Hiya Char,

I have been enjoying your accounts too. I found that when fasting, my biggest challenge was staying occupied. I hadn't realized how much of any given day is taken up by food shopping, prep, eating, cleaning up after, etc.

While I agree that electrolytes need to be kept in line, I think the idea of salt enemas is gross and really not necessary. The digestive system works the other direction, top downward. Forcing something upstream is just anatomically *wrong*. I think you are on the right track with the paleo gatoraid (lemon salt and water).

Cossycarrick is offline Member
    Well done Char, 4.5 is my longest but i'm thinking about going a 5-6days next week to see how it goes. This time i will drink tea & water(dont like coffee) but lemon can slow ketosis as per a Doc on nutrition that i know and also i'v read it also so watch the intake but i suppose a little wont hurt too much. I agree with all the guys break the fast a day or two before Xmas, i had poached eggs with bacon and it was fab! I really filled me also and didn't eat again for another 5-6hours. Keep going but listen to your body and they say you will know real hunger and at that point you need to eat.(Smoothie or veg juice for extended fasts) Read 5-2 diet or Alternate diet as the can give you science behind it. keep in touch

Thanks for the comments, all!

Today's stats are something of a mixed bag:

Weight: 284.2
    BP: 128/84
    HR: 84

Heart rate is the same. My weight dropped a bit, which is great, but for whatever reason, my blood pressure's getting higher. It's still better than it was when I began, but I expected much better on the fourth day than this. It's a little discouraging. I took it twice and the results were roughly the same. As mentioned earlier, I've been longing for food and I presume that the constant stress associated with it is contributing. Perhaps I'll try taking it again later to see if there's a difference. It's not a huge deal, I suppose. I'm still losing weight at a good pace, and I don't feel bad physically, but it's a little demoralizing.

From an emotional standpoint, today's been a little tough. Makes me feel weak, honestly. One moment I'll be motivated and ready to continue till the 23rd, and the next I'll be longing for the comfort of a nice, large meal. This is the sort of thing I've been looking to curb, and I really, really hope that my dependence on food for comfort will be diminished by the time I finish. The social nature of a meal and the pleasurable experience of eating to satiety are things I've valued so highly that to do without them is, dare I say-- and not without a little melodrama-- torturous.

Anyway, my hunger has been somewhat subdued. My stress seems centered mainly around the emotional WANT for food, rather than any NEED for it. I felt a little sluggish upon waking, but after a warm shower, I seem to have perked up. A bit of water and I'm feeling quite good, physically. I'm surprised at the amount of energy I have. I'm not ready to run a marathon or anything, but brisk walks and everyday tasks, including carrying my kids around, haven't been difficult.

I've noticed increased productivity over the past few days as well, as cited by Paleobird. I'm a fiction author and have found myself writing more than usual over the past four days. It's certainly a perk!

Tomorrow, I'll likely stick to just water and tea. No supplementation. Saturday, perhaps, I'll have a lemon. A lemon every other day, along with salt, ought to be sufficient in keeping my electrolytes balanced, without overdoing it.

Cossycarrick, eggs and bacon sound AWESOME right about now.

So, yeah. Feeling bad about not eating, but feeling healthy, overall. Not a bad day, all things considered. Took care of a few errands today that should help ease my family's financial burden and with any luck I'll be passing into the 270's in weight within a day or two. Hoping this ~3 pounds/day weightloss continues a while longer, haha.
    Last edited by Char Aznable; 12-06-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Oh-- a question. A friend of mine heard about my fast and offered to give me a few packs of Zipfizz. It's apaprently some kind of powder you dump into your water. I've only been able to find a little information on the stuff. It's only got about 10 calories in it and contains a lot of vitamins and electrolytes. If I can get ahold of this stuff, would it be a good idea to use it? I'm not sure whether it's really a primal option, but it would solve any issues with vitamin or electrolyte deficiency. Someone else on another forum suggested Smart Water, which is purified water imbued with electrolytes. It comes in big bottles, but is a little pricey for my likes. Thoughts on these two products? If I can get them free/cheap, should I give them a shot?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't pay money for them but if you're getting the electrolytes for free, it wouldn't hurt. And Smartwater...ugh. Why anyone would pay that much for water is beyond me, not to mention the waste. Lemon juice and salt + multivitamins should work just as well as most supplements IMO. I'd be wary of the artificial sweeteners used in the fizzy electrolytes too, some of my worst stomach cramps have resulted from packaged fizzy powders, and I'm usually perfectly fine with artificial sweeteners.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

PrimalCon New York
    ^ I'm stilll on the fence about the ZipFizz. Not sure it's natural enough and I'm scared it might interrupt my ketosis or something. I'll probably just stick to a lemon every other day.

Today's stats:
    Weight: 282.6
    BP: 136/65
    HR:77

Interesting stats. My weight loss seems to have slowed a bit. Two pounds a day as opposed to three may be the new normal for a little while. The blood pressure reading is of particular interest, and is a total reversal of yesterday's. The systolic is high, and the diastolic is low. Kind of weird. My heart rate is more or less normal.

The BP stats had me a little weirded out at first, but in reality each reading is just a snapshot of my overall BP. The fluctuations are probably due to a number of factors, and overall I don't think it's anything to worry about. Any insights into BP from other fasters would be appreciated, though!

Been feeling weak today. Not so weak as to be an invalid, but weak enough to feel twenty or thirty years older, haha (I'm 24). I went to the gym today and took an hour-long walk on the treadmill since it was storming out. I was surprised at how taxing it was! I went at a pretty leisurely pace, but still felt a little weak at the end.

Cravings for food have largely disappeared and I'm hoping I'm reaching that part of the fast where I no longer care about food. I've read in other accounts that, during the 7-10 day mark, where fat burning is maximized, cravings are subdued. I'm almost to six days without a meal. Six days! I have to be honest, there were times early on when I thought I wouldn't be able to manage. Reaching a full week will be something else! I'm looking forward to fitting into some old clothes and feeling lighter at the end of this. I haven't seen my extended family for a little while now. I wonder if they'll notice my weightloss at Christmas, haha.

Sticking to just water today. No tea or coffee or anything. My stomach's been a little rumbly and I've had something almost like heartburn going on. That stomach acid is begging me for some food! Tomorrow I'll have lemon juice and salt. Feeling weak, but otherwise pretty good today!
    Last edited by Char Aznable; 12-07-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast