Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Week-long Fast page 5

Char Aznable is offline Member
    Today's update:

Stats:
    Weight: 287.6
    BP: 124/78
    HR:84

Aside from the weightloss, it seems my other vitals have remained more or less the same. Systolic blood pressure fell a bit. Dyastolic rose 2 points, as did heart rate. These measures are merely a snapshot of what appears to be an overall downhill trend. I took it again a short while later just out of curiosity and got something like 124/66. Not sure if that's accurate. Perhaps the cuff wasn't on properly. Whatever the case, these numbers are a good deal lower than they were a mere three days ago, so I'm pleased.

I've been fasting about 80 hours now. It's kind of strange to think that I've gone without food so long. On the one hand, I miss the experience of eating. I've been more or less overweight for the bulk of my life, and have always derived great pleasure from the act of eating. In fact, the pleasure I've felt from eating probably trumps the pleasures associated with things I've actually accomplished in my life. Admittedly, this reliance on food for happiness makes me feel like a big, stupid animal who lives only in anticipation of the next meal. By fasting, I've something of a personal goal in ridding myself of this dependence. I want to teach myself to "eat to live" rather than to "live to eat", if you will.

This sentiment of mine-- my disdain for the dependence upon food for happiness-- has an added benefit so far as fasting goes. The idea of eating for any reason other than genuine hunger has begun to fill me with a degree of disgust. I realize that, in many respects, I desire to eat only out of habit, or for comfort. The idea of eating for any reason aside from survival is something I'm quickly coming to detest.

The hunger pangs have been slight, and have manifested more as a slight weakness or nausea. It isn't nausea in the typical sense; it's more like a feeling of malaise. It clears up after a brief sit, however. I decided that since I'd been three days without food I should begin to supplement. I had about 1/4 a teaspoon of sea salt and a multivitamin. These things served only to remind me of food. I don't feel better for having taken them, but perhaps I'll feel better in the long-run for it. Tomorrow, if I feel it necessary, I might have a bit of fresh lemon juice.

This might be a bit too much information for some: Within an hour or so of taking the salt and multivitamin, I had a small burst of diarrhea. I'll spare you most of the details, but I will say there wasn't a whole lot and it gave me the impression not of proper diarrhea, but of my digestive system just kind of coughing the stuff out. I suspect this is simply my body cleaning house, getting rid of any solids or other matter that might still dwell in my digestive system. Either that, or the multivitamin upset my stomach. Whatever the case, it wasn't pleasant.

My urine was a bit dark after I woke up today. I'll be trying to drink a bit more water. Also, I managed almost ten hours of sleep today! Feeling pretty rested and sharp. I'll be enjoying a thermos of organic coffee tonight, along with a few bottles of water. This fasting stuff, overall, isn't really that bad!

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    I'm fasting too and am drawing inspiration from your posts. Taking solid pills on an empty stomach doesn't go well with me, wonder if that had anything to do with the diarrhea.

Don't know if I will go a week but best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    I'm fasting too and am drawing inspiration from your posts. Taking solid pills on an empty stomach doesn't go well with me, wonder if that had anything to do with the diarrhea.

Don't know if I will go a week but best of luck to you!
    I just read up on your thread! Glad you're hanging in there and hope that my experiences will prove useful to you!

It's been roughly 85 hours since I last ate. I went for an hour-long stroll during my lunch break at work. Felt somewhat ooky afterward. I've been hydrating a bit more today and just enjoyed a cup of strong coffee. I think the caffeine kind of perked me up, because I'm feeling better.

I think I may change the length of this fast, as previously mentioned. I think I'll be fasting till Christmas, which would make this a total of 21 days fasted. It's daunting, but I'm hoping I'll feel good enough at the end of the first week to press on.

My only concern is ketosis. I've been doing IF and eating a pretty good diet up until the beginning this fast. I'm just not sure if I'm in ketosis yet. I'm worried I'm not fat-adapted enough. I thought I had some ketostix somewhere at home, but haven't been able to find them. I'll have to look around when I get home. Anyone have any insights into managing ketosis or knowing when you're finally in a ketogenic state? I've been trying to look for the classic signs, but have proven woefully inept, haha.

The daily weightloss and improvement in vitals has got me pretty motivated. Unless things suddenly take a turn for the worst, I really think I'll be able to hold on till Christmas. I'll likely break my fast on Christmas eve with something small and then have a nice, large meal with my family on Christmas day. I don't have much of a goal weight, but if I end up in the 260's somewhere, I'll be happy. I don't think ~30 pounds of weightloss is too unrealistic, especially if I stay fairly active.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Keep an eye on those electrolytes, man. #1 problem on a fast. Easily the cause of most light-headedness and weakness.

Best of luck, but why not just fast three days a week for a few months? Seems a lot safer, and you get to eat on those other four days so your thyroid function stays normal. Perhaps. Add ten thousand if's and's and but's to that idea.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Thanks. I took a bit of sea salt today and a multivitamin. Don't know how effective they were, but I'll try and supplement regularly with them. Some lemon juice should help too, I think.

I've been doing IF for the past few months and just figured this would be better for me and my goals. I've got a fair bit of weight to lose and wish to capitalize on the autophagy and fat-burning that take place during an extended fast. I've read little on the subject of thyroid changes. Several posters early on brought this up, and I admittedly don't know whether a 21-day fast will have any detrimental effect of note. I know that a lot of people engage in fasts even longer than that and manage to keep the weight off/live healthy lives with no thyroid damage to speak of. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone suffering thyroid damage or detrimental shifts in metabolism due to fasting for such an extended period, but would be interested in hearing of such accounts if they're available.

To my mind (which doesn't have all of the answers, admittedly!), it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for the thyroid to take a big hit during an extended fast. Human beings are naturally suited to going for long periods without food, and somehow I don't think that everyone who was forced to fast during times of extended famine in the Paleolithic ended up with a whacked metabolism and thyroid issues. Again, I'm not an expert on this by any means and would be interested in evidence to the contrary, but as it stands, common sense seems to tell me otherwise.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm just a mad man and a 21-day fast is the kind of thing I might expect to be caught doing. Common sense tells me it's fine, I just don't have the science on it at all. I wouldn't think one big fast per year would damage your thyroid, either. It might just bounce right back, even if it did slow down a bit for a while.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Haha, I hope it does! I'll keep updating this thread even after the fast. I've been curious as to how people get by after such fasts and feel like info on that would be helpful to others. If my thyroid stalls out or I have other issues, I'll be sure to let you folks know--albeit, in a more somber fashion, lol.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm enjoying your posts. Your thoughts on disassociating pleasure from food were interesting. Not that it should be gone always, just our over-dependence on it.

I would make one suggestion for breaking your fast- that you do it on the 23rd instead of 24th. Your reactions might not be what you expect, and it would be good to have that extra day, so that you can enjoy Christmas and not spend it dealing with any surprises. I DO hope you keep posting. It is always good to hear how people are doing on fasts- we have such a LOT of information on food plans, and not nearly enough on people's fasting experiences.

Also, consider that electrolyte water (water, lemon, salt). It will help with the dizziness.

Congratulations on your blood pressure results. From what I have read, it seems those results linger 6+ months after a longer (3 days) fast. Would you be interested in keeping track of them long term, and maybe posting them weekly, after you end your fast?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    This might be a bit too much information for some: Within an hour or so of taking the salt and multivitamin, I had a small burst of diarrhea. I'll spare you most of the details, but I will say there wasn't a whole lot and it gave me the impression not of proper diarrhea, but of my digestive system just kind of coughing the stuff out. I suspect this is simply my body cleaning house, getting rid of any solids or other matter that might still dwell in my digestive system. Either that, or the multivitamin upset my stomach. Whatever the case, it wasn't pleasant.
    Please, please, consider doing enemas with salts twice daily if you keep going.

You thread makes me scared.

Going from full fast to a X-mas meal is scary as well. In the time of starvation people who were given food often gorged and died. It was described in a couple of novels.... Please, be careful with how much and what you eat after the fast. Even after your 90 hours I would start with a day of a diluted juice, then semi-solid mush....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Please, please, consider doing enemas with salts twice daily if you keep going.

You thread makes me scared.

Going from full fast to a X-mas meal is scary as well. In the time of starvation people who were given food often gorged and died. It was described in a couple of novels.... Please, be careful with how much and what you eat after the fast. Even after your 90 hours I would start with a day of a diluted juice, then semi-solid mush....
    This. I am intrigued by your process, but the lack of attention to vital nutrients such as electrolytes scares me. Most people probably do not feel like they are doing poorly before it becomes a problem, but you have warning signs from your dizziness. Get some trace minerals into thee and take it very easy when you go back to eating!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast