Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Week-long Fast page 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Do try it, but do you know how to do it right and safely? My knowledge is about 20 years old now, but at the time 2x a day enimas (ours were urine, but you can try salts as well, like epsom salt, not straight water) and strict restoration routine were the MUST or you were told you would poison yourself with the breaking down products. I dunno, fasting as in just not eating for days on end is a dangerous thing. People died from it....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    I appreciate your concern, Zach. I don't believe that what I'm doing technically qualifies as starvation, though. I'm a big guy, with at least 70 pounds of excess body fat. Once my body starts into Ketosis, it will be well-fed as it breaks down that fat and uses it for energy. There is a fair bit of science to back this up, and I've read stories of morbidly obese individuals engaging in long-term (we're talking on the order of months here) fasts to lose the weight. My tummy might be empty, but with some supplementation to keep my electrolytes balanced, I'll still be getting everything I need.
    No you wont die but 5-7 days is cetainly starvation. Your body will catabolize muscle and organs for protein, it wont just burn pure fat. Also in that time you could possibly have a downregulation of metabolism, making fat gain much more likely when you return to eating.

It might not be that traumatic, but I would still caution and advise to have a plan B. Long fasts + stress are not the best combination. I always thought a Zen kinda mindset with a fair bit of leisure, contemplation and outdoor access at all times is almost a must for a longer fast.

Jarrod Schroeder is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    No you wont die but 5-7 days is cetainly starvation. Your body will catabolize muscle and organs for protein, it wont just burn pure fat. Also in that time you could possibly have a downregulation of metabolism, making fat gain much more likely when you return to eating.
    Then what is the point of the body's ability to store energy (ie, fat) if organs and muscles take the hit during times of lean? Isn't fat meant to be the energy reserve?

Zach is offline Banned
    Yes of course but you dont think people lost muscle mass as well during famines? You probably wont lose all that much in such a short time but you will lose some. Your body needs some amount of glocuse to run and your main reserves will run low in 8-12 hours, after 16-24 you body will start catabolizing muscle and organs for amino acids to turn them into glucose. It cannot do this with fat, it can however get good at using fat as the main source of fuel but its inevitable that you will lose some lean mass. Another thing to worry about is that after an extended fast, your body is primed to put back on allthe fat and then some. Remember, your body cant twll the difference between starvation and a voluntary fast. It will ensure it is ready incase it happens again. Look at anyones physique that does extended fasting. They will have next to nothing in the way of muscle mass and also very little fat but usually still enough to not have good definition.

If this is a one time thing to see what your limits are, then go for it. But dont have delusions that this is healthy.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod Schroeder View Post
    Then what is the point of the body's ability to store energy (ie, fat) if organs and muscles take the hit during times of lean? Isn't fat meant to be the energy reserve?
    Look at long and short term fasting as two different tools to use for two different purposes.

Short term (IF'ing) can be used to shed fat while retaining lean mass and reduce the number of insulin spikes and gastric effect in a day.

Longer fasts are great for autophagy and for mental and spiritual purposes along with a generaly deeper detox.

The longer fast is not as lean mass sparing because that is not its function. You very well may end up with less muscle after the fast, but it should be of higher quality (body breaks down dysfunctional motor units for protein first hypothetically). So asking "how I do a long fast and not lose muscle...." is going to be a bit paradoxical. You will retain a good amount but by virtue of the fast you will need to loose a little bit.

Here is Mark's post if it helps you http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasti...#axzz2E1MFVx5D

Then you can also search "Pklopp" for his posts and his website dedicated to IF'ing
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 12-03-2012 at 12:21 PM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It might not be that traumatic, but I would still caution and advise to have a plan B. Long fasts + stress are not the best combination. I always thought a Zen kinda mindset with a fair bit of leisure, contemplation and outdoor access at all times is almost a must for a longer fast.
    That is probably why various monks (meaning different religions) do this with no apparent issues.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've started a 3 on, 4 off routine where I fast 72-hours and feed for 4 days. This is while working, and hitting the gym, and doing all my usual routine. Not that bad really and I think the whole muscle issue is a little inflated. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I've started a 3 on, 4 off routine where I fast 72-hours and feed for 4 days. This is while working, and hitting the gym, and doing all my usual routine. Not that bad really and I think the whole muscle issue is a little inflated. I'm sure you'll be fine.
    I think organ atrophy like the thymus starts after 24 hours.

That is probably why various monks (meaning different religions) do this with no apparent issues.
    *Nod*
    The lack of sexual expression helps as well.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast